Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Crap, have a damn cold now I can't shake.

Great training though, at least you were out.

Chancing the reek tomorrow evening to fup, cold and damn knee injury be damned. Weather permitting, tis brutal here

Good luck with the knee, I managed a 5k run yesterday without the knee giving out, major milestone, hopefully i'll make the start line. Cycled the route through the bog on Saturday, there's only about 20 meters where I have a problem with the surface so thats no problem obv. Was out in Clew Bay yesterday (work), noticed it was windy allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

I did the GF training weekend too. It was great fun - apart from the agony of running up hills, cycling into a gale and driving rain, and running up bloody Croagh Patrick! it was great to get the feel of what we'll have to do on the 21st - though the thought of doing all the stages, one after the other is terrifying! I found CP pretty tough, and that was without having cycled over to it, after a run. Still, I think I survived it pretty well. I definitely have to get some serious hill work in over the next 6 weeks, and if there was one thing I took from the weekend, it was the need to train on hills - so far, all my training - on the bike and running - has been on the flat, and it really showed on the hilly bits and CP.

Also, a decent bag is essential I think. The one I had with me was swinging around all the time I was running and was really driving me mad.

The tips about gear and nutrition were a bit daunting, but it was well worth hearing them.

Seres, you were there, but I haven't figured out which one you were! Everybody was very nice, and we all seemed to get on well - especially by closing time in Gaynors on Saturday night!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

snailsong wrote: »
    Good luck with the knee, I managed a 5k run yesterday without the knee giving out, major milestone, hopefully i'll make the start line. Cycled the route through the bog on Saturday, there's only about 20 meters where I have a problem with the surface so thats no problem obv. Was out in Clew Bay yesterday (work), noticed it was windy allright.

Well done! Hopefully you have no more knee issues.

I am doubtful that I will make the start line now, I can't do anything without injuring myself now.
    Walked the reek slow last night, and last years shin splint problem came back with a bang, that on top of my knee problem made coming down the reek a real pain.

If I make it, this is my 2nd and last GF, its too late in the year for me, if it was in april or may I would have done it handy, this ticking over till aug 21st has brought nothing but injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

I did the GF training weekend too. It was great fun - apart from the agony of running up hills, cycling into a gale and driving rain, and running up bloody Croagh Patrick! it was great to get the feel of what we'll have to do on the 21st - though the thought of doing all the stages, one after the other is terrifying! I found CP pretty tough, and that was without having cycled over to it, after a run. Still, I think I survived it pretty well. I definitely have to get some serious hill work in over the next 6 weeks, and if there was one thing I took from the weekend, it was the need to train on hills - so far, all my training - on the bike and running - has been on the flat, and it really showed on the hilly bits and CP.

Also, a decent bag is essential I think. The one I had with me was swinging around all the time I was running and was really driving me mad.

The tips about gear and nutrition were a bit daunting, but it was well worth hearing them.

Seres, you were there, but I haven't figured out which one you were! Everybody was very nice, and we all seemed to get on well - especially by closing time in Gaynors on Saturday night!!! :)
    me neither, i wore my boards blue singlet on the run the first morning , missed the intro the night before, came down on the saturday morning, arrived late into the talk , it was a tough weekend alright bit of a shock to the system .

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

Seres wrote: »
    me neither, i wore my boards blue singlet on the run the first morning , missed the intro the night before, came down on the saturday morning, arrived late into the talk , it was a tough weekend alright bit of a shock to the system .
    You're a mine of information! I still can't place you. I remember a couple of people coming in late to the briefing on Saturday morning. I was the old guy.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found it tough! I went for a run in the Wicklow Hills this evening. I chose a fairly easy hill, with a trail running through the forest. The uphill leg was tough! I could only jog for 4 or 5 minutes uphill at a time, then had to walk 2 or 3 minutes, then jog again. I didn't actually stop though, and nearer the top, the slope became a bit easier, so I was able to do the last section at a continuous jog. The downhill leg was fine - I was able to keep going at a reasonable pace. There's a lot to do between now and the 21st! it's frightening that it doesn't see to be getting any easier.

If I keep doing hill runs, will my legs get used to it, and stop hurting when I try to run uphill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 seofra

<mod snip>

seofra wrote: »
    if you are aware of anyone looking for entrance to this years GF, pls let me know , unfortunatly i've double booked for that weekend
    transfers are not allowable , check out the website , on front page of GFW link

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

if you are aware of anyone looking for entrance to this years GF, pls let me know , unfortunatly i've double booked for that weekend

Its your loss I'm afraid, VERY strict on this.

yop wrote: »
    Its your loss I'm afraid, VERY strict on this.

Ya, they definitely won't allow any transfers, we couldn't do it last year, we had 2 lads from our group that pulled out, and their 2 entries went to waste, as they couldn't be transfered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Seeing as it's a very large commerical enterprise, I don't see why entries cannot be transferred.

I'm sure a few euro from the E300,000 they have taken in so far could be found to pay someone to transfer entries.

By all means have a cut off point, but the event is still almost two months away.

It's akin to ticketmaster telling you that you can't resell your concert ticket to a mate.

I'm aware of the safety concerns etc but this is just laziness on the organisers part.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Seeing as it's a very large commerical enterprise, I don't see why entries cannot be transferred.

I'm sure a few euro from the E300,000 they have taken in so far could be found to pay someone to transfer entries.

GF is just one big money making racket, they already have the lads money whether he does the event or not. They don't care if he wants to transfer or resell his entry or not, they aren't going to help, they have his 85 euro, thats all that matters to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Hi,
    Does anyone know if stage 1 of GF has any signs up at the moment. I hope to head there on sat to try out the route. I did 'jog in the bog' last sat and it had signs on bog and cycle route months before and it really helped to know the route on the day.

I hope the wind is not as bad for GF as it was fit jog in the bog. I felt like I was cycling in slow motion:)

I was there a month ago, there isn't a single sign!

There is a map on the site, we used that last year and it was easy find the route and do it, with the exception of the last section down to the kayaks, it goes off road through a hedge that we ran right past.

Would a garmin route be any use to you?

Hi ckwport,

That's a pity. The garmin route would help. Thanks a mill. I don't have a great sence of direction so it will make an interesting run:)
    Hope the training is going well for you.

maybe you could ring up the killary adventure centre and ask there for someone to show you , they run GF training weekends , you need the no. ? , can give u name of someone there who would prob know .

anyone bringing a bag with a bladder m where can i get a cheap enough adventure bag with a bladder ?

darabbit wrote: »
    Hi ckwport,

That's a pity. The garmin route would help. Thanks a mill. I don't have a great sence of direction so it will make an interesting run:)

Here ya go:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35735324

Tick Laps on the map section and that will show you everywhere I pressed the lap button on the route, EG, when going off road, when getting back on the tarmac again. There is a bit of explanation of marker on the page anyways.
    Any questions on it, let me know, its not too bad once you check it out on the GF map too.

darabbit wrote: »
    Hope the training is going well for you.

Thats a bit of a sore subject at the moment, can't train, want to, but if I do I will probably feck my legs up worse.

Thanks a mill for that...very handy!

Sorry to hear that you are a bit laid up...sure a couple of days rest will do you the world of good...so everyone keeps telling me anyway:rolleyes:

I decided to start doing some strengthening exercises for my legs and ended up pullin a groin muscle!! No pain no gain and all that. Anyhow, I am resting for a day or two as a result.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

anyone bringing a bag with a bladder m where can i get a cheap enough adventure bag with a bladder ?

From what I understand its the way to go. CKWestport got one there lately.

You can get them off the likes of wiggle or just google it.

yop wrote: »
    From what I understand its the way to go. CKWestport got one there lately.

You can get them off the likes of wiggle or just google it.

I got a cheap bag with bladder before for 20 euro, it was a bit of a pain, loads of bouncing when running from it.

Got a this proper camelbak on wiggle, its the best job.

• Advertisement

I got a cheap bag with bladder before for 20 euro, it was a bit of a pain, loads of bouncing when running from it.

Got a this proper camelbak on wiggle, its the best job.
    thanks camelbak one a bit expensive for me yet , any other ones for better value ?

thanks camelbak one a bit expensive for me yet , any other ones for better value ?

Where are you based?

Any outdoor shop should have cheaper alternatives.

Cheaper alternative BUT no chest straps

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Highlander-MOJAVE-12-2L-Hydration-Pack-Rucksack-Bladder-/120590077071

But maybe contact them and see if u can get one with chest straps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

Just bought this in Eurocycle for €110, ouch!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Camelbak_Mule_3_Litre_Hydration_Pack/5360041125/

I'm worried about keeping the bladder/hose clean after a session, any advice??

Where are you based?

the sticks , north roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm worried about keeping the bladder/hose clean after a session, any advice??

I fill mine with warm soapy water and empty it via the tube, then rinse it out with water, both the bladder and tube several times. You can buy cleaning tabs and brushes but washing liquid should be ok unless it's really bad. Sugary drinks that are left in it for too long can go green and gooey so best thing to do it rinse it out as soon as possible to prevent this.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I fill mine with warm soapy water and empty it via the tube, then rinse it out with water, both the bladder and tube several times. You can buy cleaning tabs and brushes but washing liquid should be ok unless it's really bad. Sugary drinks that are left in it for too long can go green and gooey so best thing to do it rinse it out as soon as possible to prevent this.
    would you just fill the bladder on the day and use that for the run section or would you bring along an additional bottle in the bag ? what bladder size would do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've a 2 litre bladder and for the last ROAR I put about 1.5 litres in it and left another 750ml on the bike. It was the first really hot day of the year so most of it was gone, I'd say I had about half a litre left after 2 hours.

They were giving out bottles of water at the finish so I had one then and a mate gave me another, both of which I drank. It's a fine line between taking too much fluid and and not enough, I think I'd rather go with too much as there's nothing worse than longing for some fluids when you have none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

Can anyone recommend a decent energy drink?? Went hillrunning in Glendalough yesterday for approx 1hr 20 and I had absolutely nothing left afterwards. Was looking at Maximusle Viper but it's quite expensive. Something that can be mixed with water would be preferable, dont wanna feel like that during Gaelforce......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coill100

would you just fill the bladder on the day and use that for the run section or would you bring along an additional bottle in the bag ? what bladder size would do ?

I have a camelbac which takes about two litres.
    My own two cents of advice would be, not to fill as this adds quite a bit of weight to you when running if you are not used to it.
    The bike is not that far away and is much better for liquids. Have two bottles on the bike and you will be fine.
    There are also a few water stops if concerned about water, just keep a few extra sachets in your backpac to add into the bladder.

Advertisement