Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

coill100 wrote: »
    I have a camelbac which takes about two litres.
    My own two cents of advice would be, not to fill as this adds quite a bit of weight to you when running if you are not used to it.

Depending on the weather, in the unlikely event of a scorcher, fill it right up if you are bringing it, for the connemara adventure race, i only half filled it and was sorry when it was all gone pretty quick, twas a very hot day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coill100

[Qy, twas a very hot day![/QUOTE]

It sure was, the run at the end was the killer.

coill100 wrote: »
    It sure was, the run at the end was the killer.

And I hadn't a drop left in my camelbak at that stage, it was tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

The trick with the water is to 'sip, not gulp'.. you get more out of the volume when you sip.. if you gulp, your body will just find ways of expending it. regular little sips are the way forward

how is everyone's training going? i cant get into it at all. this is my week though. i know i've left it late, but it's not like my base fitness is woefully bad or anything. was hoping to bring my Giant rapid for a burn tonite, but it looks like it'll be a spinning class instead- dont want to risk injury by cycling in the rain on a brand new bike, so will do spinning and a 5km run in the gym instead.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    The trick with the water is to 'sip, not gulp'.. you get more out of the volume when you sip.. if you gulp, your body will just find ways of expending it. regular little sips are the way forward

how is everyone's training going? i cant get into it at all. this is my week though. i know i've left it late, but it's not like my base fitness is woefully bad or anything. was hoping to bring my Giant rapid for a burn tonite, but it looks like it'll be a spinning class instead- dont want to risk injury by cycling in the rain on a brand new bike, so will do spinning and a 5km run in the gym instead.

All still alive anyway lol. Weather isn't too nice but thems the breaks.

Starting work now in Dublin 2 days per week so need to suss out some runs around CityWest. I know there is a gym there in the hotel (where I am staying) but I don't really like gyms, the treadmills play hell with my shins. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

yop wrote: »
    All still alive anyway lol. Weather isn't too nice but thems the breaks.

Starting work now in Dublin 2 days per week so need to suss out some runs around CityWest. I know there is a gym there in the hotel (where I am staying) but I don't really like gyms, the treadmills play hell with my shins. :)

CityWest is quite nice to run around in the evenings. Empty roads and there's even a bit of trail along the paths along with some inclines.

There's a nice loop from citywest, through Saggart and up a steep hill onto the Blessington road, down that road, turn left and back into CityWest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

how is everyone's training going? i cant get into it at all.
    V frustrating, haven't been able to do any trail runs for a month w/twisted knee. Keep taking a few days off and then running on flat and at 5km or so it just goes. Trying a different physio tonight though, hopefully prognosis is good!

Aside from that cycling is good!

Citywest is a great spot for nice runs Yop, you'll be able to find some lovely gentle hills.. i cant stand the gym either, twould bore you senseless and i always end up with a big raspberry head, even if the AC is pumping, which i jsut dont get outdoors..

ronan that's a right balls about the knee. dont push it though- it's not worth it. just keep the crosstraining up.

i'm doing a brick session tonite i've decided- i dont care that it's raining, ffs it could rain on aug 21!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

how is everyone's training going? i cant get into it at all.

Did some flat runs at the w/e, 7.5k and 10.5k and the knee held out well enough. Was planning on some trail runs or even the Reek this week (it's nearby) but now I'm laid up with a severe cold/ flu. Will try going to work tomorrow and maybe by the weekend I'll be able to do something. It seems that through illness, injury, work and childminding I've missed half my training over the last 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Training was going well until sat when I decided to visit the reek! I felt great and for the first time in weeks I was actually feeling fit. I was going too fast coming down CP and tripped over my new trail shoes.:(
    I got up straight away due to the embarassment of it all but I have a pretty funky looking knee, a mildly sprained ankle and bruised and grazes in the most unusual places!!! My knee is causing the most pain at the moment as the wound is slow to heal due to movement. I am so mad at myself as I will have to take the week off to let my body heal and then assess any potential long term ailments.

Let my experieence or inexperience be a lesson to anyone else who thinks the reek is a walk in the park. It is dangerous if you are tired or wear new runners:rolleyes:

I hope everyone else is getting stuck in... 5 weeks to go!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The reeek seems to be a hell of a lot worse than last year. We did it last year and treked it up, even when it was dry it was slippy. It could be the downfall of a lot of people this year.

Thanks for the details on the runs folks. It will be after my Sunday spins so I will be maxing out at 10km's but its good to know there is a route I can get out on.

A few injuries for a couple of us I see. Shins Splints and Dodgey knees I have. The knee problem is from the hamstrings, and I can't seem to shake the shin splints, they keep coming back...

So no running last week, no running this week.

Plenty of cycling though, 40km race with the local club, and an 80k spin on sat with fellow boardsie Elchupanebrey over the both GF routes and more!

Found the climb to through the new route up the bog tough going, had 60k behind me at that stage though...it will probably feel tougher on August 21st.

First time cycling down the Scelp offroad section on the racer, stood up and on the brakes the whole way, twas sound....will chance cycling over it on the day, shouldn't warp a wheel as long as my speed is nice and slow, sure beats walking over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Absolutely agree with this. I think a lot of people when they're thirsty drink way too much and then have to keep stopping to go to the toilet. If you just sip then you get rid of the sensation of having a parched mouth and you avoid over-drinking. If your pee is a dark ochre colour then, yeah, maybe increase the water intake.

Also in training, if your body is used to being flooded with water then it isn't being trained to work with less and use it more efficiently. (I have zero research/studies to back that up so feel free to disagree with me! It's just that I used to think I'd die without a drink in a 10k race but now I've got over that).

Very true with regards the water, its a state of mind. Its something that you get used to really.

CKWPORT wrote: »

Found the climb to through the new route up the bog tough going, had 60k behind me at that stage though...it will probably feel tougher on August 21st.

What is this section like? Bumpy? Tarmac?

Its all gravel for about 2k, then you get to a tarmac section for about a k, maybe more, once you get off that, its get very rough, large stones and gravel.

It's kinda mucky and boggy then heading into the forest, once in there, its back to all gravel again for the rest of the spin to the reek base.

I did it on my MTB back in April, and posted pics here.

EDIT: Link added to post.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65903100&postcount=48

Its all gravel for about 2k, then you get to a tarmac section for about a k, maybe more, once you get off that, its get very rough, large stones and gravel.

It's kinda mucky and boggy then heading into the forest, once in there, its back to all gravel again for the rest of the spin to the reek base.

christ above. i didnt realise it was THAT bad. i'm not going to risk a puncture/fall, and am going to jog with the bike. what a pain in the arse. that puts paid to my plan of getting a sub 5hr 30.

Injuries are the order of the day it would appear.. our GFW crew was 6, it's now down to 3 people, and 1 of the 3 is seriously suspect due to a quare knee.. i'll be on my own at this stage. as it is, my own right knee hasnt been right since a direct concrete fall in february- it locks out every now and then, i suspect it's a cartillage problem but i'm in denial:D

CKW the shinplints really take 2 weeks of no running to fully cure. You might be as well to do that, and keep the cycling up instead.

Yea that road looks prity bad, i hope the GF team try to do a bit of work on it, i think i read somewhere that they will be fixing it up with the council, i may be wrong.

[quote=[Deleted User];66914366]Yea that road looks prity bad, i hope the GF team try to do a bit of work on it, i think i read somewhere that they will be fixing it up with the council, i may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

They will be doing well not unless they are funding it themselves. The main roads around the area are in bad shape so I can't see Mayo Co Co funding going into a rarely used secondary road.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

yop wrote: »
    They will be doing well not unless they are funding it themselves. The main roads around the area are in bad shape so I can't see Mayo Co Co funding going into a rarely used secondary road.

Ok, so this section goes on for 2km, that's not too bad I suppose, I might just bring a few spare tubes with me and try the road out, and if i get a puncher just run the rest.

• Advertisement

Would be great if they did, but as yop said, would need to be self financed! cant imagine the mayo co co justifying an 'adventure race' out of the coiffeurs.. fingers crossed you're right tho! even if they could clear the excess rubble it would be a help- maybe they are enlisting some volunteers or something

Cheers for that, that's a great post.

So how far is the beginning of the trail run after the cycle through the forest? I hope to do a recce in a few weeks time

christ above. i didnt realise it was THAT bad. i'm not going to risk a puncture/fall, and am going to jog with the bike. what a pain in the arse. that puts paid to my plan of getting a sub 5hr 30........CKW the shinplints really take 2 weeks of no running to fully cure. You might be as well to do that, and keep the cycling up instead.

Honestly don't let the pics of the route put off attempting cycling the route, it is possible to cycle it, just keep the weight even on the bike and a nice steady pace! Jogging with the bike would be a lot slower, but at least you would have zero chance of puncturing.

This is week 2 of my no running, will be attempting a short run on Sunday or Monday.

[quote=[Deleted User];66914366]Yea that road looks prity bad, i hope the GF team try to do a bit of work on it, i think i read somewhere that they will be fixing it up with the council, i may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Not a hope in hell of that I'd say. Its a bog road, not even a secondary or tertiary road.

I used to get really bad shin splints, went to the physio and got foot insoles for my shoes. I found out that i had flat feet which was causing my shin splints. I now train with the insoles and race without. He also showed me how to tape my lower leg to prevent them.
    Have you ever gone to get them looked at?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    So how far is the beginning of the trail run after the cycle through the forest?

You cycle right to the reek base, where you drop the bike and head up the Reek. Its about 1k from entering the forest to the base.

[quote=[Deleted User];66915500]Have you ever gone to get them looked at?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, ya did all that last year, and again this year.
    Got insoles this year, had broken them in and all was going well, and out of nowhere the shins got bad again, had physio on Monday, just need to rest up and do a wee run soon, and if they are no better go back to physio. Shin Splints are the scurge, they completely stop me from running.

[quote=[Deleted User];66915500]I now train with the insoles and race without[/QUOTE]

Why race without?

Why race without?

Cause after about 2 hours I get blisters on my soles. Wearing them allows me to train but I wouldn't wear them in a long race, I would just tape up.

Ice and ibprofin is the key :D

[quote=[Deleted User];66915817]Ice and ibprofin is the key :D[/QUOTE]

Had an ice pack on each shin last night and neurofin with ibuprofen taken.
    Same regime again tonight.

Had an ice pack on each shin last night and neurofin with ibuprofen taken.
    Same regime again tonight.

Its horrible isnt it. I suppose you can keep you fittness up on the bike and rest your legs.
    I did my hamstring mountain running about 6 weeks ago, was out for about 4 weeks but I hadnt lost that much fitness which was surprising.
    Was in the mountains last night running through a rain cloud, got soaked, but thats all part of it....

I think im going to do more work on the bike now. My running is good at the moment so will start to build the miles in the mountains.

You'll fly the course so. What time you hoping for?

• Advertisement

You'll fly the course so. What time you hoping for?

Did it in 5hr 30 min last year.
    Im hoping to get an hour off that this year, have a lot more training done this year, especially in the mountains which I think is a huge advantage so fingers crossed. I think it might be longer with this new road section up to the mountain.
    Also, last year I was green and shot off from the beach like I was going to win it ha ha, I was wrecked by time I got the bike, I wont make that mistake this year.
    What about yourself?

Advertisement