Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

Thats a good question to put out to the forum,

What time are you hoping to get at this years Gael Force?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Did it in 6 last year...totally blew it. Same as you, I didn't pace myself enough early in the race. Had nothing on the bike, and nearly died on the reek.

Have a lot more training this year, hoping for between 5 and 5.20 Max.

If I can get over these few injuries that should be achievable.

The change in the bike section will add about 10 mins I think.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Did it in 6 last year...totally blew it. Same as you, I didn't pace myself enough early in the race. Had nothing on the bike, and nearly died on the reek.

Have a lot more training this year, hoping for between 5 and 5.20 Max.

If I can get over these few injuries that should be achievable.

Yea i think you will do well, you have your fitness up now and its not going to slide anymore...you could probably gain a lot more on the bike between now and the race if it turns out you cant run too much. Id say if they are still paining you about 3 weeks before the race dont do much running at all. You will want them recovered for the race.

Like you I nearly died on the mountain, it was like i was climbing Everest, one foot infront of the other at a snails pace, i nearly broke down!!
    Think ill take a few quick releasing gels just as im coming to the mountain and when i get to the base ill have the energy to get up at a good walking pace.

I have a 10 mile road race 2 weeks before GF, so I will be doing that and taking it really slow now....and thats the last run before GF.

I nearly broke down on the reek too, it was hell....toughest thing I ever did, climbing that with 50k behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I did 6 hours 17 last yr- with hardly any training, as i broke my elbow in may so was out of action til early july.. also my bike was a total high-nelly. have a racer this yr, so really aiming for 5 hours 30 or less. maybe i'm totally deluded:D I'm definitely fitter now than i was then though.

• Advertisement

6hrs17min with no training is quite an achievement....I was 6hrs9mins after 3 months training.

You are far from deluded, 5hrs30 is totally achievable.

yeah i hope you're right CKW. I'm going to give it holly for the next month and really try and get some mileage on the bike.. my bike leg last yr was a disaster. I find the biking very boring so avoid it like the plague, longest i've done in the last 6 mths was 14k and that was at connemara adventure challenge!

If there is a cycling club near you, I suggest you join it, the gains you make with a group compared to cycling on your own are far better.

My average pace has gone way up since cycling with a club.

Good advice. Pulse Triathlon club go for a spin on Sundays- should really join up, if for the Sunday spin alone. You're right, sure you'd push yourself way more. will email them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

can you get gels in your local pharmacy ?, need to start trying eating while training
    did 19k on bike monday , disaster , chain came off , tyre burst a half a mile from the house

• Advertisement

Seres wrote: »
    can you get gels in your local pharmacy ?, need to start trying eating while training
    did 19k on bike monday , disaster , chain came off , tyre burst a half a mile from the house

Not sure about the pharmacy, but you can get them in the outdoor shops, snow and rock, 53 degrees north, cycle super store.

You should try and use them while training and try a few different makes, this way you can find the one that doesn't upset you stomach on the day of the race.

I seriously doubt you can get gels in a pharmacy…. I’m gonna head into ‘Fighting Fit’ on Camden st later to talk to the guy in there about my training nutrition needs, get some whey, gels etc.. apparently he’s brilliant. I’ve heard the gels can give you diarrhoea the first few times, so for the love of god road test them prior to aug 21!

Will report back tomorrow with what they say in fighting fit… seemingly the guy in there knows EVERYTHING about sports nutrition etc.. I never even knew it existed til last week!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have been doing much more running this over the last couple of weeks. and a couple of runs up around Killiney hill and a couple of ascents up the sugar loaf. Will be doing 50/60k on Saturday on the bike and then spend a couple of hours going up the sugar loaf on sunday.

killiney hill... forgot about that one! might try that tonite instead of ticknock, if the rain holds off.. you could go down to the beach, and take in the steps from the beach to the road? that'd be a good workout??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

[quote=[Deleted User];66923873]You should try and use them while training and try a few different makes, this way you can find the one that doesn't upset you stomach on the day of the race.[/QUOTE]

I got gels before West Wicklow Roar in Wheelworx, tried the High5 Isogel - they went down fine and stayed down as they're fairly watery to begin with. I hadn't trialled them before and have taken them since with no ill effects. Would definitely recommend them to a fellow newbie! Have heard though that the Powerbar gel ones can be like cement...
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The health store beside McDonalds on Grafton St sells a range of gels and bars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    killiney hill... forgot about that one! might try that tonite instead of ticknock, if the rain holds off.. you could go down to the beach, and take in the steps from the beach to the road? that'd be a good workout??

Yeah there's a couple of routes you can do to get in some hill parts. You can start in Dalkey and run up to it, a nice hill :) and then run up the hill itself and do a couple of laps and then head back down towards Dalkey and come back up the big hill.

I got high5 gels for this year....they are awful watery things, they stay down anyways and are easier take than the ones i had last year, carb boost gels, they were like a thick caramel.

The high5 gels are not too nice tasting either, like a watery marmalade.

Yeah there's a couple of routes you can do to get in some hill parts. You can start in Dalkey and run up to it, a nice hill :) and then run up the hill itself and do a couple of laps and then head back down towards Dalkey and come back up the big hill.

Good idea, that's a nice gentle approach from dalkey village.. delighted you said that now, i had forgotten all about killiney and it's much handier than ticknock for me. i could even cycle there and turn it into a brick session! i have the fear of GOD about my bike being knicked though, i dont think anywhere is safe nor any lock strong enough:eek:

i dont think anywhere is safe nor any lock strong enough:eek:

The disadvantage of quick release wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mmmm, I have the High5 ones to use at an event this weekend, I'll see how I get on with them. Last time around I used the Powerbar ones, they were bloody yucky, they didn't upset my stomach or anything but just not pleasant to take, very sugary and sticky so you inevitably got it all over your hands, sound just like the carb boost gels you mention CKWPORT. However they're in a small enough sachets compared to the High5. The High5 ones say to take one every half hour or something which I thought was a bit excessive, I'll see how I get on anyway.

Sounds like they all have a negative somehow.

The disadvantage of quick release wheels.

Big time.. i have a weeny car though so the quick release wheels were 100% necessary, couldnt be coping with that bloody thing that attaches to the back of the car, ruins the paintwork and jsut seems like hassle!!

Good idea, that's a nice gentle approach from dalkey village.. delighted you said that now, i had forgotten all about killiney and it's much handier than ticknock for me. i could even cycle there and turn it into a brick session! i have the fear of GOD about my bike being knicked though, i dont think anywhere is safe nor any lock strong enough:eek:

You'd probably be alright on Killiney hill as its mostly families, dog walkers, couples. Your best bet is to lock it to the playground fence id say normally plenty of people there.

Anyone have any knowledge about bike tyres.

I looked at my bike last night and saw a bubble in the side about the size of a 50cent. Its the tyre and not the tube. Does this mean i have to get a new one?

That tire is gone, thats the tube bulging out or pushing the inside of the tire out...that will more than likely puncture if you cycle it.

That tire is gone, thats the tube bulging out or pushing the inside of the tire out...that will more than likely puncture if you cycle it.

Great, these were good tyres, Kevlar coated. Ive had them a good while so i suppose its about time i got new ones.

well thats not too bad if you have had them a while.

I have new tires waiting to go on, have years of mileage on my current set, they are cracking big time, and a few holes too, nothing pushing through yet though.

I wonder is it better to change both at the same time or just the one with the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

how many miles/kms sholud you get out of your road bike tyres ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Has anyone bought any of the clothing from the Gaelforce site? Just wondering if the sizing is average or big/small etc. Thanks!

Advertisement