Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

How much fluid will you actually need for the race?

I'm not too keen on carrying 2 litres on back for the first run if I don't need to. Possible just to have two bottles on the bike for the day? Maybe three at a push.

Also recommend people start to train with the mandatory kit. It's quite a shock to the system if the first time you run with your bag is on Glassaillaun beach!

Believe me, my stomach turned when I started the race last year at the thought of how I was going to finish with the massive weight on my back. Ok it wasn't that heavy but the first time I tried running with the bag was literally five minutes before the start during my warm up. Not the best way to start a race.

My training seems to be going well. Did the half marathon mountain plod in a decent...ish time and finally putting in the kms and climbs on the bike. Got in 55kms over Sally's Gap at the weekend.

Unlike my accommodation planning. Have to stay in Castlebar as Westport is booked up/too expensive.

Forgot to ask.

Survival blankets. They come in all sorts of sizes etc but is a foil blanket, usually given out after road races, considered a surival blanket?

Google tells me yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    jesus that's bloody brilliant CKW! i havent managed to break below 50mins. It's my goal by the time I do gaelforce though, outside of an official 10km race, to do it sub 50.. Have been doing a lot of interval training so reckon i should be close.

Have never tried interval training, I used to run off too fast in races, and pass a load of people, only to have them plus some pass me in the second half as I was shattered. So I just pace myself now, decide on a pace and stick to it, and run steady...its working for me.
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    They come in all sorts of sizes etc but is a foil blanket, usually given out after road races, considered a surival blanket?

Google tells me yes.

Google is right, foil is what I used in the past. Better than those massive orange bin bags.

Cool. As I had a massive orange sheet with me last year! Convinced it was a marquee I was carrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

The mandatory kit states waterproof bottoms aswell, gonna be a bit of a squeeze in the camelback with everything else. Does everybody plan on bringing these? (I'd rather not tbh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

The mandatory kit states waterproof bottoms aswell, gonna be a bit of a squeeze in the camelback with everything else. Does everybody plan on bringing these? (I'd rather not tbh)

no way hosé. bring them to the kit-check at registration, dont carry them on the day. fook that, i'm sorry.

i think they are going to be a lot less nazi-esque about the kit this yr- but last yr, they checked everyone at registration but never again- or maybe random spot checks but not to my knowledge.

all i had in my camelbak was 2 ltrs of water, a few large surgical plasters and medical wipes (small and light) and some snacks.. then i had snacks/lucosport on the bike. travel light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bottoms are not mandatory this year thankfully, this is the kit list from their site
    1 Basic First Aid Kit (Min: 1 x Dressing Pad (field dressing), Bandage, Plasters)
    2 Guide Map (provided by organisers at Registration and shown on website)
    3 Survival Blanket and Whistle.
    4 Energy Food and Drink. You need to bring enough food for the whole day as we will not be providing any food!
    5 Cycle gear: Bike!! Bike Tool Kit, Puncture Repair Kit, Cycle Helmet*
    6 Clothing: can be worn or carried and must include Gloves, Hat/Buff, Waterproof Top.
    7 Sturdy Walking / Running Shoes
    8 Small Rucksack or suitable Bumbag

* This is the mandatory cycling kit and can be left with your bike in the Delphi transition area in a bag firmly attached to your bike. ALL other mandatory kit MUST be carried with you at all times during the race. Anyone found without it will be disqualified.

Although the following isn't mandatory kit, you may find it helpful:
    Trekking Poles – you can strap these to your bike.
    You may choose to use suitable Cycling Shoes and Gloves, these can be left with your bike.

the trekking poles would indeed be handy for helping you up/down CP, but i'm not sure i'd fancy the idea of strapping them to the bike.. what do you think? i'd have visions of something going wrong, one of them coming loose and I cycling at 60kmph down a steep hill or something:eek:

Not a chance am I bringing waterproof bottoms, I wont even bring a waterproof top if the sun is out that morning.

They never kit check the elites, who bring next to nothing!!!

I am sick of going to events and have a big bag with all the mandatory kit, and then spot a lot of people with no kit at all, lesson learnt now, bringing the bare minimum.

I totally agree CKW. we're all grown adults ffs.

I would recommend a few surgical wipes and plasters tho- just in case you do cut yourself or your heals.. and they take up zero space anyway.

I never bother with most of the rest of it though- but do bring it to registration. god registration this yr can only get better than it was last yr- it was a disgrace last yr- not only the waiting times etc, but the way they were SHOUTING AND ROARING at people.. total lack of organisation and respect.. twas the latter that annoyed me more really. If Connemara is anything to go by, GFW10 will be far superior tho. here's hoping.

• Advertisement

I dunno, I reckon grown adults should bring the right gear and kit for the day rather than potentially making a bad situation worse.

The elites just pack smarter. Quite easy to stick all the gear into cycling pockets let alone a bag.

The elites just pack smarter. Quite easy to stick all the gear into cycling pockets let alone a bag.

Sure is, all thats in my backpack is the camelbak bladder, gels, bars, small 1st aid pack,small foil blanket.

If I need to bring a waterproof jacket, it can be squeezed in with the bladder. Hat and a Buff will squeeze in there too.

EDIT: Good to see the extra fleece top that was on last years mandatory gear list is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Now that the waterproof trousers and the spare thermal top are not mandatory everything should fit into a bumbag and those with weight weeny obsessive natures could probably get away with cycling jersey pockets and no bag.

On the gear...Some folk carry it, some folk don't. Everyone in the top ten should be kit checked at the finish line in all of these races and then we'd know they had the kit. As always, the organisers (of Irish races) are trying to cater for people with vastly different expectations and requirements in a one size fits many race.

You have to consider how happy you are likely to be sitting on the side of Croagh Patrick without any jacket or protection as your body heat quickly seeps into the stony soil and weeps away on the wind, along with your will to live...
    Just a thought:)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

First timer here but looking forward to it and enjoying training.

I was at a training weekend and they showed us the maps with details on the water points - but I cannot remember where they are on the course. Does anyone have an idea? Planning on 1 litre in the bladder and a bottle on the bike with a couple of refills along the way.

i know there's one at the kayak interchange and i think one at base of CP..

2 refills of 1 litre should be enough, especially if you also have a bottle on the bike.

sip, dont gulp! dont take on too much water at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Peterx wrote: »
    Now that the waterproof trousers and the spare thermal top are not mandatory everything should fit into a bumbag and those with weight weeny obsessive natures could probably get away with cycling jersey pockets and no bag.

On the gear...Some folk carry it, some folk don't. Everyone in the top ten should be kit checked at the finish line in all of these races and then we'd know they had the kit. As always, the organisers (of Irish races) are trying to cater for people with vastly different expectations and requirements in a one size fits many race.

You have to consider how happy you are likely to be sitting on the side of Croagh Patrick without any jacket or protection as your body heat quickly seeps into the stony soil and weeps away on the wind, along with your will to live...
    Just a thought:)

Have to agree with peter here with regard to bringing a jacket for croagh patrick. You will start to cool down as you assend the reak and if there is a bit of a wind you will really feel the chill. Your jearsey will already be wet from sweat and from the kayack section when you reach the base of the reak so a jacket is a must in order to stay warm.

In all the adventure races i have done it seems like the elites are the only ones who carry all the kit, they just invest in small lightweight kit so it may look like they dont have it all but they probably do.

In all the adventure races i have done it seems like the elites are the only ones who carry all the kit, they just invest in small lightweight kit so it may look like they dont have it all but they probably do.

Having started in the elites in a few races this year, they all don't bring all the mandatory kit, some had shorts and t-shirt, and that was it. This is only a minority of course, most looked like they had the kit with them.

I agree with what peter said, kit check the top 10 crossing the line. Easiest way to do it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ThisRegard wrote: »

Off topic, I'm all for religious freedom but a 12 year old girl summiting in her bare feet :confused:

Her mother has cancer, so she decided that she would do this in the hope it would help her mother.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

CKWPORT wrote: »
    It was a well organised event alrite, fair play to them, it was great.
    Ya it was a nice course, I heard that is was a seriously tough course, I found it sound, and did it in 47.04. My fastest 10k yet, and I was expecting to do crap as haven't ran this month due to injuries.

Well done, that's a good time. I tried to pace myself and was heading for 54 or so for the first 9k. Then I cracked a bit and did the last k in 4 minutes so 52.32 overall. After GF I'll try to do a fast 10k . I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying the running, considering I never ran anywhere for the first 40 years of my life. Guess that means I'm still fresh. A friend of mine is 43 and ran this as his first ever race. He did 42 minutes, only ever having trained on a football pitch. he said he found the hills hard and he didn't know fast he was going as he had no watch! Anyone ever beat their age in their first ever 10k? Gotta be rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Thought I might add my tuppence worth as I read the thread every couple of days now. Great source of information thanks everyone!

Having read the idea about running with a bag on your back I tried it this evening for 11km and DIED! Having serious concerns now about fitness for the race! Got back from a 2-week holiday on Sunday and each run/cycle has been tough since! I'm in bits from the session carrying bag now!

Am I mad trying to get fit for this? I ran the marathon a couple of years back but have a feeling this is gonna be tougher! I had been doing runs up to 15km a month back, but now 10/11km runs feel like they're pushing it! I guess there're a few weeks left, but my worry is that all of the training has been in the Phoenix Park which isn't exactly CP!!!

Strangely enough I'm not too worried about the bike part. Got a bike just over a month ago but it's just so much easier than running isn't it!!

Also, I have one of http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_747597_langId_-1_categoryId_212515 these I picked up as part of the cycle to work scheme. Is it ridiculously big for this race? When running it seems to bounce around a fair bit. I thought originally I'd need a mad big bag for first aid kit, rainjacket, food etc, but now I'm reading you lot talking about bumbags!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

For whats its worth g0g, it sounds as if you have been out a few days since you came back from holiday so maybe you need to take it easy and ease yourself back into it , were you running on holidays ? You wouldn't lose too much fitness in 2 weeks but ease yourself into it for a few days and aim a good run Sat and decent cycle Sunday and for something longer maybe the following weekend and mix it up a little and go on a longer session ,7k run followed by 15k on the bike where you cycle to a hill (even small) and do some repeats up and down for another 3-5k (a hill of 500m at least in lenght maybe) and another 15k home - see how you feel after this . Could you drive to a hilly area ?
    Fitness should be fine if you had base before you went on holidays . You need to be mentally prepared to be on your feet/ass for 5.5/6hrs +
    The backpack is probably going to take a little bit of getting use to but it will be ok ,was it full ? the pain of GF will distract you from having it on your back:)
    We all get the doubts and get tired, its down to mental strenght , I ran 11k tonight and wanted to ring the wife to collect me after 5k .. was on a 3hr cycle Sunday and was prepared to go home after 30mins. So hang in there .

How much fluid will you actually need for the race?
    QUOTE]

Big lesson from last year was that I didn't bring a bottle with an electrolyte based drink as I cramped badly on the bike - Nuuns tablets or Zym should do the job.
    Going to bring 2 large bottles on the bike 1 as above and the other or a fuel based drink and about a litre on the camelbak - a couple of gels and maybe a 1-2 caffine based enery bars(viper extreme or powerbar).

Was going to bring a Chicken but that could be messy !

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

g0g wrote: »

Am I mad trying to get fit for this? I ran the marathon a couple of years back but have a feeling this is gonna be tougher! I had been doing runs up to 15km a month back, but now 10/11km runs feel like they're pushing it! I guess there're a few weeks left, but my worry is that all of the training has been in the Phoenix Park which isn't exactly CP!!!

Strangely enough I'm not too worried about the bike part. Got a bike just over a month ago but it's just so much easier than running isn't it!!

I felt exactly the same a few weeks back, you'll get back into training after a few session and you'll be flying. If you've run a marathon and were running 15k a month back then you're steaks ahead of me or any of the lads I'm training with. Mind over matter! I still haven't hit the 15k mark and I'm not worried so you definitely shouldn't be...or maybe I should be?!

With regard to your training, I'm only a newbie to all this myself so I could be wrong, but I moved my running to the hills a while back and there's a big difference, so if you can get yourself over to the southside to climb some hills both on foot and on the bike I'd say it'd help you a lot.

I've been doing a lot around Tick Knock and The Hell Fire Club and it's helped me an unbelievable amount. It's great knocking time off a route from week to week, even if it's only a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

I've read a lot about everyone stocking up with loads of carbs the week before the race.

Unfortunately I can't eat a lot of stuff including pasta and bread. Would rice and spuds be a sufficient source of carbs for the week before would anyone know?

Or if not does anyboday have an alternative source of carbs to wheat based stuff?

Cheers

g0g you're not in it to win it (safe to assume) so stop panicking.. as i have stated here many times, i broke my elbow last may (2009) and only started training for GFW in 2nd week of july- i got up to running 5km (flat) prior to the race, that was it.. did it in just over 6 hours! i'm a little ahead of that this yr, but not much- have done v little cycling and am running about 10km, once a week.. i'm going to do a bit of hill training this weekend, and give it holly for the next 2 weeks.

the bag shouldnt be causing that much drama for you- you might need to get a smaller neater bag, and travel lighter.. i have a very slim camelbak and plan on bringing very very very little in it- 1.5-2 ltrs of water (with nuun), 2 small bars, a few plasters, that's it.. the bananas will be sellotaped to my bike, as will the gels, lucozade sport.. i'll have raisins and boiled sweets in my pockets.

stop panicking, do what you can in the next few weeks, and dont forget to enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Hi All. if anybody has yet to buy their bag for GF they have 1L camelbak bags in the great outdoors in Galway for €6. just got mine earlier. I reckon 1 L is fine along with 2 bottles on the bike.

Rinker wrote: »
    Hi All. if anybody has yet to buy their bag for GF they have 1L camelbak bags in the great outdoors in Galway for €6. just got mine earlier. I reckon 1 L is fine along with 2 bottles on the bike.

yeah, plus you can refill the 1 lt at the kayak stop as well. 1ltr is probably wise really

that's unbelievable value. are they actually camelbak or some mardhea copy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoinbergin

yeah, plus you can refill the 1 lt at the kayak stop as well. 1ltr is probably wise really

that's unbelievable value. are they actually camelbak or some mardhea copy?

Would this hold all off your kit in it as well? Or can anyone post a link to a hydration backpack that would be suitable for the race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

For whats its worth g0g, it sounds as if you have been out a few days since you came back from holiday so maybe you need to take it easy and ease yourself back into it , were you running on holidays ? You wouldn't lose too much fitness in 2 weeks but ease yourself into it for a few days and aim a good run Sat and decent cycle Sunday and for something longer maybe the following weekend and mix it up a little and go on a longer session ,7k run followed by 15k on the bike where you cycle to a hill (even small) and do some repeats up and down for another 3-5k (a hill of 500m at least in lenght maybe) and another 15k home - see how you feel after this . Could you drive to a hilly area ?
    Fitness should be fine if you had base before you went on holidays . You need to be mentally prepared to be on your feet/ass for 5.5/6hrs +
    The backpack is probably going to take a little bit of getting use to but it will be ok ,was it full ? the pain of GF will distract you from having it on your back:)
    We all get the doubts and get tired, its down to mental strenght , I ran 11k tonight and wanted to ring the wife to collect me after 5k .. was on a 3hr cycle Sunday and was prepared to go home after 30mins. So hang in there .
    Thanks that makes me feel a bit better! It was mid-thirties where I was on hols so could never get motivated to run. Took a rubbishy one-gear bike one day and did 20km but it took over an hour to do. Backpack was half full of water and then just the few things in it. I'm defo thinking it must be too big now...
    g0g you're not in it to win it (safe to assume) so stop panicking.. as i have stated here many times, i broke my elbow last may (2009) and only started training for GFW in 2nd week of july- i got up to running 5km (flat) prior to the race, that was it.. did it in just over 6 hours! i'm a little ahead of that this yr, but not much- have done v little cycling and am running about 10km, once a week.. i'm going to do a bit of hill training this weekend, and give it holly for the next 2 weeks.

the bag shouldnt be causing that much drama for you- you might need to get a smaller neater bag, and travel lighter.. i have a very slim camelbak and plan on bringing very very very little in it- 1.5-2 ltrs of water (with nuun), 2 small bars, a few plasters, that's it.. the bananas will be sellotaped to my bike, as will the gels, lucozade sport.. i'll have raisins and boiled sweets in my pockets.

stop panicking, do what you can in the next few weeks, and dont forget to enjoy it!
    Thanks yeah I know it'll be a great experience. I forgot to add that my hips were in bits after that run (never happened before), but I read something today that seemed to suggest it's a common enough problem if you push yourself too much too quickly. Hopefully a few days off will do the job!
    Rinker wrote: »
    Oh great think I'll actually be there this weekend. Was it this one they were selling cheap or a different brand. Where exactly is the best place to get these yokes cheap? This one seems like a type designed for running that ties around your waste. Is Wiggle known to be cheap or reliable? Have seen that site mentioned in other posts.

• Advertisement

Worth a read : Padraig also won the Swinford half ironman last week :

http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/2010/07/adventure-racing-tips-from-padraig-marrey/

Advertisement