Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Anyone have the spreadsheet with last years results?

I was hoping to see the my split times and see where I can improve this year, but all links from last years site are dead.

i was chatting to one of the GF stalwarts last wend- i told him i was hoping to knock at least 30 mins off my cycle time fromlast yr (was really slow, on a crappy hybrid, at 2.43)- he said i'd be doing well- that even taking into account i was using a road bike this yr, the extra section and offroad bits were likely to add on 20 mins onto last yrs times... DOSE. So i might gain 30mins by having a road bike, but i'll lose most of it again anyway.

Am i mad bringing just a pump and repair kit, as opposed to spare tubes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I was looking at my splits, I will be happy with anything under 5:20 this year. That shaving off 48 mins. Looking at my splits, its definitely doable, I crawled it last year.

Definitely bring 2 spare tubes and metal tire irons, those plastic ones are crap, practice changing a tube between now and GF, especially the rear wheel as it can be tricky to get back on with the gears and all. I have a repair kit too, and a can of that spray, hopefully I won't need the tubes, never mind the repair kit.

The new route is only adding about 5 to 10 mins on to the cycle section to be honest, it not as steep, buts its rougher and about 2km longer. Best to take it handy on it tho, there is a high risk of puncturing on it due to the rough surface.

i was aiming for sub 5:30 but i really dont know, given the new cycle bit.. i thought it added 4km, not 2km? i'd've been pretty confident of getting 5'30 but i'm not now, not with that new cycle bit, sounds like i'll be running a lot of it with the bike to be honest

I really doubt i'll be able to shave anything off CP, or the cycle back to Westport as i pelted that last yr - but i'll be able to take 10mins off the first 12km run, and definitely 20 mins off the cycle.. the yoke i had last yr had such a drag, i might as well have been on one of the dublin bikes..

christ i'm starting to feel SICK!:eek:

You can cycle all the new bog section, you have to be careful not tear into a particularly rocky section, which there are a few of.

Last year I was doing the reek, up and down in 58mins, I completely feel apart on it in GF though, and was on it for 1:40....Now I never expected to do it in 58 mins after the running and cycling to it, but 1:40, I will make sure to push through it this year, I can save 25-30 mins just on the reek.

I can save about 12-15 minutes on the 1st run, did it in 84mins last year, did it 72 there a month ago, did the cycle in 1:25 on Saturday was over 1:40 last year, and the last cycle took 45 mins last year, did it in 30 a few times this year, so I am confident I can do it 5:20, all going to plan, but who knows what might happen on the day.

Dont overdo it on the first run, you still have another 4+ hrs to go after it!

I think the key on CP is slow and steady, no stops (or very few). Just keep going. You must have stopped quite a bit to do 1:40, i feel like i stopped loads and did it in 1:23. Did you go up the goarse, or the track? I still cant decide which is best. I did goarse last yr but feel like it might have been a false economy of sorts. Certainly on the way up. I'm unsure tho, as ive only done it twice, so any advice would be much appreciated.

I have a wedding the friday before GF and a hen on the saturday.. grrrrRRR! how's that for good training! i suppose if i take it reasonably easy i should be ok by tues

• Advertisement

I was slow and stopped loads....and walked down instead of running. I always go the zig zag route...

This year, hopefully manage it with none or very few stops! and jog down too.

For the 1st run, I am going to take it easy until I get to the flat off road section, will see what I am fit for then, no point killing myself on those 2 hills at the start.

ah sure if you walked down you'll easily knock a good 20 mins off CP this yr so! i pelted it down, just purely because i couldnt wait to get off the mountain and back on the bike and HOME!

i think that's a good strategy on the first run- take it easy on the hills and go flat out on the flat bits. I'll be looking forward to the downhill section that brings you into the kayak! gonna go as fast as i can on that bit. It's the 4km on the far side i'm more worried about, i really hope i dont have as long a wait this yr (23 mins), my legs were like 2 lumps of concrete after it, but will try and move around as much as i can this yr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You'd be mad not to bring spare tubes with you wonka.

You'd be faffing on the side of the road for ages with glue etc for no good reason.

Why were you waiting 20 mins at the kayak wonkagirl?

Slightly concerned about the wait this year. Last year I was in the first wave so was straight into the kayak. This year, I'm in the second last wave. Really don't want to be waiting around for a kayak for 20 odd minutes.

Is it the case that if you're reasonably quick in any wave, you won't have to wait for kayaks?

Still timed out for that section this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Oh god today I decided to get stuck into some hill cycling and it hurts. We only did 40km but the hills nearly killed me! Does anyone who's doing GFW live out Bray direction? If so do you know are there many hills on the route similar to the hill leaving Enniskerry towards Glencree? Not sure how many of those hills I could face!!! :eek::)

My bigger concern however is punctures now. It's literally years since I've had to change a tube or repair a puncture. I'm not motivated enough to go through the hassle of practicing in advance, but I've a feeling I might regret that in a few weeks!

g0g wrote: »
    I'm not motivated enough to go through the hassle of practicing in advance, but I've a feeling I might regret that in a few weeks!

The image of sitting on the side of the road in the wind and the rain fumbling trying to get a tire off should be all the motivation you need.

I did 4 at the weekend, 2 while out cycling and 2 practice when I got back, definitely worth the few minutes if the worst happens on the day.

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    My bigger concern however is punctures now. It's literally years since I've had to change a tube or repair a puncture. I'm not motivated enough to go through the hassle of practicing in advance, but I've a feeling I might regret that in a few weeks!

+1 on all of that. I really need to get out to a store this wend and a) buy a tube and b) get them to give me a quick lesson

nerraw, was in the 3rd last wave last yr- hence the 23min wait for a kayak.. i got STRAIGHT into the queue, and was still waiting that long. Not only does it make your legs cease up, but also completely takes the wind out of your sails mentally. Am in wave 2 this yr, so given the fact that the elites will have gone well through by then, it shouldnt be bad.. hopefully. I reckon i'll be towards the back of wave 2 though, so probably will still bank on an 8-10 min wait to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Cheers Wonka.

There'll be some 4000 people ahead of me. I fear a long wait. Although they have 100 kayaks, which is 200 at a time so might be ok.

Still, you're timed out so won't effect course time :)

I see they're using the dibbers for timing chips. These are excellent. At Roar, you were given a print out of your times immediately after finishing.

In the 2nd wave too, 8- 10 mins of a wait is sound. Time to get a energy ate and shouldn't lose too much heat and get stiff.

Last year I think I was in the 4th or 5th wave, and only wait there 10 mins, could have went sooner too.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Cheers Wonka.

There'll be some 4000 people ahead of me. I fear a long wait. Although they have 100 kayaks, which is 200 at a time so might be ok.

Still, you're timed out so won't effect course time :)

I see they're using the dibbers for timing chips. These are excellent. At Roar, you were given a print out of your times immediately after finishing.

yeah they had them in connemara too- they are the job- we were waiting ages last yr in GFW, at which stage you've lost the will to live! It definitely promises to be a better event all in all this yr.

Re the wait- just move your legs around as much as you can- i swear to god my legs were like 2 lumps of concrete last yr on the 2nd run.. they loosened out again on the bike though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lilymac wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking to buy an entry to this years gaelforce event if anyone is selling there place

As stated on the website, non transferable and sold out :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Did my first run in a few days today. 14k and took it slow and steady. Hopefully I'll have the fitness now to finish the whole lot.

I'm clipping my cycling shoes to the bike the night before and then gonna cycle with my running runners in the bag.
    Im just thinking now, with the hoohaa in the media about Croagh Patrick being manky, will my road running Mizunos be alright?
    I really dont want to change bags now and cycle with a rugged pair of runners and my running ones in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Some random updates, ramblings.

Getting seriously worried about making the start, let alone the finish. Went for a combined cycle, run accross Skelp last wed. Tried to run with a backpack for the first time and found it very dificult. Had to walk up the steep bits but had a cold coming on so maybe that was a factor. Then disaster on the way back down skelp as the dodgy knee struck again, just when I thought I had conquered it. Had to walk 6k or so back to the bike, feeling like a pratt with all my training gear on. Cycled home and went to bed for the afternoon, part illness part despondency.
    I'm wondering if there's any point in starting if I'm gonna end up walking most of the way.
    Cycled a 55k circuit of the reek yesterday westport-lecanvy-drummin-cloona and back to my house. May have seen some of you guys coming in the coast road 11.15 or so. I was the slow old guy in the Aldi gear. Anyway got an insect bite on the other knee so its swelled up badly today, ironic or what.
    Yop, might have gone some of the way with you if I'd seen your post earlier. The last 50 meters or so of the forest section I just walk, simplest solution.
    Wonkagirl, bring a pump either way, a tube will be useless without it.
    Really feel time running out now.

snailsong, take a few days rest, hydrate yourself and get some vitc into you.. go at it again on thurs/fri and see if you feel any better.

there is EVERY point in doing it even if you have to walk the majority of the first 12km- of course there is! it's a superb event, the comraderie is great, and you will pick up time on your cycle bit.. plus, it's a bloody waste of 85 eur if nothing else.

you can have days like that tho- jesus i had a day a few weeks ago where i hit a wall after about 2km- was tired and dehydrated among other things. 2 days later i did 8kms no problem whatsoever. it's all about what's in the tank as well i think- i've discovered that i cannot CANNOT run on an empty stomach first thing, so now i just dont bother anymore. will be having a breakfast of champions (in the middle of the nite!) on aug 21..

infact, here's a mental concept, but iw as thinking of starting to get up at 5am a week beforehand, and going to bed at 9pm, just so i'm not jetlagged on the day?? am i getting carried away?:D:D

i'm a bad sleeper at the best of times so any ole thing throws me out, so was thinking of just re adjusting the ole body clock a full 5 days earlier

maybe i need to sort out the spare tire and pump first lol:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

snailsong wrote: »
    Yop, might have gone some of the way with you if I'd seen your post earlier.
    Really feel time running out now.

A feck, could have done with the company yesterday :)

I maybe doing it again next Sunday morning either on my own or with another 1 or 2. I will defo do the same route, if I have time I will take in Skelp, not too concerned about skelp either way as I know its kak and on the day with enough rain it will be difficult to navigate.

Doing GF without a tube is suicide, forget the puncture kit and just change the tubes, one thing though, I had a cheapo pump which meant that I couldn't get near the 116 PSI in my tires, so check to see what your pump pressure will max out.
    Also some tires are directional so make sure you note that when putting on the wheel again.
    A tip I read there was that to aid putting the tub and tire back on, just inflate the tube slightly to sit it in the tire, then put the tire back on with the tube inside it.

As said though get used to taking the wheels off and one and changing the tires.

I think the ZigZag is just as good a route, a few who took the direct line last year have mentioned they will change tact on that and take the zigzag.

No point in fretting now at this stage, you aren't going to gain much fitness in 3 weeks, just be comfortable as much as possible with the distances involved.
    :D

yop wrote: »
    No point in fretting now at this stage, you aren't going to gain much fitness in 3 weeks, just be comfortable as much as possible with the distances involved.
    :D

Ah i dunno, i think you could gain a fair degree of fitness in 2 weeks, especially when you're coming from a solid base. I'm going to give it holly anyway, 1 hr before and 2 hrs after work. I dont seem to be tiring at all these days so not too worried about burnout, and know the signs of it pretty well at this stage if it's approaching

definitely going to go and get tubes and a pump in that case, you've shamed me into it now! any idea how much they'd cost, roughly? 2 tubes and a pump?

pardon my ignorance but where do you store the 'tubes' and how are they different to spare tyres? are they just like an emergency measure type thing??

• Advertisement

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Ah i dunno, i think you could gain a fair degree of fitness in 2 weeks, especially when you're coming from a solid base. I'm going to give it holly anyway, 1 hr before and 2 hrs after work. I dont seem to be tiring at all these days so not too worried about burnout, and know the signs of it pretty well at this stage if it's approaching

definitely going to go and get tubes and a pump in that case, you've shamed me into it now! any idea how much they'd cost, roughly? 2 tubes and a pump?

pardon my ignorance but where do you store the 'tubes' and how are they different to spare tyres? are they just like an emergency measure type thing??

Give urself the week off or at least 5 days before GF, then u can give it socks on GF.

Have bought off these a good bit
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Pumps_-_Manual/
    Talking maybe 20 euro for one with a gauge.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Inner_Tubes_-_Road/
    U have a road bike so u are looking at 700 * 23 or 25.

U can put the tubes in ur bag or get a small saddle bag which goes behind the saddle.

Tubes go inside the tire, they are the main reason for a puncture as they can tear. So to save u fixing the tear, you just put in another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79cmQlACL6s

tks so much for all of that info yop... i'm a total bike bimbo to be honest. Much more at ease with the running/climbing.

Just realised i'm in the 4th wave and not the 2nd.. god it all seems so REAL now that the numbers are out.. Oh, and my EX is in the same wave as me, grrrrrrrrrr:mad:. That'll get me to speed up CP all the faster:)

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    tks so much for all of that info yop... i'm a total bike bimbo to be honest. Much more at ease with the running/climbing.

Just realised i'm in the 4th wave and not the 2nd.. god it all seems so REAL now that the numbers are out.. Oh, and my EX is in the same wave as me, grrrrrrrrrr:mad:. That'll get me to speed up CP all the faster:)

So if he beside u for the Kayak will u jump in with him :)

Get them bits and pieces bought and get used to taking the tire off, replacing the tube and getting it back on. You could be talking anything between 10-15 mins to replace a tube so you want to make sure that you know how to :)

If he's beside me for the kayak i'll drown the f**ker!!:mad::)

how painful is that, having an ex in the same wave? it will spur me on on the day though, that's for definite. I dont think he's been doing a huge amount of training either but all things being equal, he'll probably still be faster than me.. i'd be much tougher than him mentally though and that's crucial for an endurance race.

Most of the small pumps that clip to the bike won't get anywhere near 100 psi. I have 2 and they only go up to 70, and that takes ages.

I might have to get a new one if there are ones that will go up to 100.

Always use my foot pump at home to pump the tires, find the small pumps crap.

Wonkagirl, which is the fourth wave, I'm on the 7.30 bus. You're not an ex of mine, are you.:rolleyes:

I have a small pump fron halfords, their own brand. It clips on beside the bottle cage. When I tested it I got 80psi easily enough. i use a track pump when i can, of course.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Most of the small pumps that clip to the bike won't get anywhere near 100 psi. I have 2 and they only go up to 70, and that takes ages.

I might have to get a new one if there are ones that will go up to 100.

Always use my foot pump at home to pump the tires, find the small pumps crap.

The one I have got me 116 psi off it there on Saturday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Due to travel to Clogherhead for a sprint Triathlon Sat but may have to give it a miss ,if i am around do any of the locals fancy a cycle to the reek and a run on it -(easy pace-not looking to kill myself) .

Sunday doesn't suit me this week .

Due to travel to Clogherhead for a sprint Triathlon Sat but may have to give it a miss ,if i am around do any of the locals fancy a cycle to the reek and a run on it -(easy pace-not looking to kill myself) .

Thanks for the offer, am working in Dublin tomorrow and Wednesday and am not about Thursday, working Friday so I wont have time I think.

Thanks for the offer though

• Advertisement

May be on for that, depending on injury/ illness status. Will talk later in the week. Might have to be super-easy pace for me tho'.

Advertisement