Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

yop wrote: »
    The one I have got me 116 psi off it there on Saturday ;)

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Interesting idea them, never heard of them before.

Got a Kevlar tire from a local bike shop last week for 17.50. These are them

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20418

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have had 8 days on the beer and food with very little exercise got back today and hopped onto the bike for 70k, tried to run after that but the lungs werent interested. need to practice as much as possible and have stag weekend in liverpool this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Interesting idea them, never heard of them before.

Got a Kevlar tire from a local bike shop last week for 17.50. These are them

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20418

Which shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

snailsong wrote: »
    Wonkagirl, which is the fourth wave, I'm on the 7.30 bus. You're not an ex of mine, are you.:rolleyes:

i dont think so- this eejit isnt really a boards type (too cool)- plus, i think the 7.30 bus is the 6th wave, no? 5, 5.30, 6, 6.30... i'm on the 6.30 bus. Bloody early start, we'll need to be up by 5 bells!

Went to keepfit.ie class last nite, we did 12 x 200m sprints with boxing drills in between, then i hopped on the bike and did 20km incorporating too nice long hills.. felt ok after it, which was very encouraging! I certainly felt like i could have gone on for another hour, and that was without any gels or anything, in fact it was 9pm by the time i got home and i hadnt eaten since lunch time

Doing a 10km run tonite but going to take a brake from the bike til tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Oh balls...

I have done nothing for weeks - wedding prep, wedding itself & then honeymoon.
    Got home to find the numbers are out, uh oh, better use the bike to get to work between now and then, and get some running in. There's not enough time left - aaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm on the 6:30 wave, better get hunting a room for Fri night and fast...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Which shop?

Brehenys there near the Castlecourt.

I looked at the Gatorskins there yesterday, very (too) grippy for my liking ;)

They will give a nice grip for sure, but it has to impact the contact with the road.

I've the gatorskins on mine yop- that's what was recommended for GF, either that or armadillos.. ? recommended by brian from total experience.. ordered my tubes anyway last nite from wiggle, tks a mil for that.

I'm really excited now. Taking a half day from work and hopefully will be registered and back at the hotel carbloading by 6pm.. bed by 9. awake then all nite with pre race nerves:rolleyes:

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    I've the gatorskins on mine yop- that's what was recommended for GF, either that or armadillos.. ? recommended by brian from total experience.. ordered my tubes anyway last nite from wiggle, tks a mil for that.

I'm really excited now. Taking a half day from work and hopefully will be registered and back at the hotel carbloading by 6pm.. bed by 9. awake then all nite with pre race nerves:rolleyes:

I wouldn't tell anyone not to get the Gators or the armadillos but outside of GF I wouldn't have any use for them.
    I did the route there on Sunday and didn't use either of these, just put high pressure in the tire and used a "avoidance" with regards big holes and stones and got through it.
    From what I understand it seems to be the case is that more punctures have been got on Skelp than on the new course where the tires have been recommended for!

I will be out on the course again over the weekend so I may have a different story with that regard.

You probably have less risk with them tires but they recommend a lot on some sites, it could be a case of covering their ass ;)

It will be hard to sleep before for sure, last year I got shag all with excitement and anxiety.

• Advertisement

http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/2010/08/top-10-nutrition-tips-for-1-day-adventure-races/comment-page-1/#comment-4

some great nutrition tips here.

Interesting about the gels- apparently they're so sugary, that when you do start taking them, you need to take them every 30 mins after that for the blood sugars

on that basis, i'm not going to start taking them til the foothills (or just before) of CP- i'd vomit if i had to take them all the way through

Good Link.

I had planned to take a gel before the start and one 45 mins into the run. Then a bar at the kayak, and another bar near the end of the bike route, and gels the rest of the way.

May have to rethink this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Re Gels.

I took a gel immediately I got on the bike and had 2 or 3 more before Croagh Patrick. Seemed to work for me plus it's very easy to take gels on the bike.

There's an adventure race talk tomorrow at Base Camp store on Middle Abbey Street, Dublin.

Basecamp Adventure Guru Nights - Adventure Racing

Want to learn from Ireland's most experienced adventure racers? Want to get last minute advice before races like Gaelforce? What bike to choose, what gear to bring, what tyres to use, what shoes to use, what to eat....these are questions everyone has before an adventure race and we have assembled some of the most experienced racers in the country to impart their knowledge. Advent...ure Racing requires racers to use their brains more so than triathlon, its not as easy as simply getting from A to B, and there are clever ways of doing things.......

The first of the Basecamp Adventure Guru Nights, in the brand new 2nd floor events space, focuses on Adventure Racing. We have brought together a collection of Ireland's most experienced racers, both over short distances and expedition length and the information will cover all aspects of the sport, including strategy pacing, navigation, nutrition, sleep, gear, tales of woe and tales of triumph from races in Ireland and all over the world. The night will be fun and informal but the information gleaned could be invaluable as you embark on your race (s)!!

Guests include

Chris Caulfield Gaelforce training Guru and International Adventure Racer, who will offer advice and tips for newbies on general race practice, do's and donts and simple ways to gain an advantage.

Eoin Keith, Well known ultra king, international adventure racer who will give advice on navigation and also give you an insight into preparing for ultra distance events.

Paul Mahon, well known face on the Irish Adventure Scene both as a racer and an event organiser. He can give rare insight as he has operated on both sides of the fence.

Avril Copeland, one of Irelands most decorated female adventure racers. Avril has completed some of the toughest expedition adventure races in the world including Primal Quest. Avril's stories and slide shows are sure to be fascinating.

Gill Watson, hailing from Derby, Gill has competed in every British adventure race known to man and is a well known racer on the international scene. Gill was also winner of BBC's SAS Are you tough enough? challenge in the Borneo Jungle.

We have more guest speakers, yet to be confirmed.

The night will feature slideshows and video from one day races such as Gaelforce, WAR and Roar as well as footage from races such as Abu Dhabi Adventure Challenge and Primal Quest for those who feel like tackling the more extreme end of Adventure Racing or purely if you want to see what these mad men do!!!!

Entry is free and there will be a spot prize or two on the night!

When: Wednesday August 4th, 7.00pm

Where: Basecamp Outdoor and Travel Store, 108 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin

Just got my accommodation sorted there, Atlantic Coast Hotel, its a bit out of town, but is near the finish.
    I can jog in to town @ 6am for my warm-up. :D
    Then I can easily collect my gear and the car, and sneak a swim in the pool afterwards if they let me :-)

Only available on the Fri night, but I'll be heading away on the Sat anyway.

If anyone is interested, single room B&B @ €99 on roomex.com, or twin for €132 if you have a buddy.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Good Link.

I had planned to take a gel before the start and one 45 mins into the run. Then a bar at the kayak, and another bar near the end of the bike route, and gels the rest of the way.

May have to rethink this.

that's exactly what i was planning to do as well CK- but the blood sugar argument makes total sense- ie, they'll spike really sharply after taking a gel, but then plummet 30 mins later, hence the need for another one.. i'm going to do bananas/bars/raisins at the start of the race, then start on the gels a few KMs short of CP.. one thing i know for sure is that i didnt consume enough calories last yr, probably 300 max over the entire race.. she is saying between sport drinks and food, you should be getting that in an hour- more or less:eek:, depending on body weight obviously

if anyone makes it to that talk tomo eve can they report back? i wont make it in.. they must have a push on gear/equipment at it, it's all over facebook and i've gotten a rake of emails about it.

that's exactly what i was planning to do as well CK- but the blood sugar argument makes total sense- ie, they'll spike really sharply after taking a gel, but then plummet 30 mins later, hence the need for another one.. i'm going to do bananas/bars/raisins at the start of the race, then start on the gels a few KMs short of CP.. one thing i know for sure is that i didnt consume enough calories last yr, probably 300 max over the entire race.. she is saying between sport drinks and food, you should be getting that in an hour- more or less:eek:, depending on body weight obviously

if anyone makes it to that talk tomo eve can they report back? i wont make it in.. they must have a push on gear/equipment at it, it's all over facebook and i've gotten a rake of emails about it.

I think thats where a good few got/get caught out for sure with regards in take, you just hit the wall so fast. I got gels there and u are meant to take one every 30 mins! Cud be a lot taken in a 6 hour period! :)

The lads on the cycling forum say they eat bagels and peanut butter on their long spins. Cud be an idea if you don't like gels and that.
    On a 3 hour spin on the bike on Sunday according to the computer I burnt up 1500 calories so that wudn't be too far off the 500 per hour then for sure.

On an 80k spin there 3 weeks ago, I supposedly burnt up 4500+ cals....I had aches and pains and was totally weak at the end, and could not stop eating for the rest of the day. Can't remember what I ate on the bike, think it was only 1 bar and 2 gels, but I had nowt left after 60k.

On a 66k spin on Sunday, 2400+ cals according to the garmin, I had 2 gels, 1 energy bar, half a pack of powerbar ride shots (like jelly sweets)...and 2 litres of water drank, 1 ltr of which was mixed with viper...I was again outta fuel by the end and felt killed, its very hard to know how much is enough!

Brehenys there near the Castlecourt.

I looked at the Gatorskins there yesterday, very (too) grippy for my liking ;)

They will give a nice grip for sure, but it has to impact the contact with the road.

Thanks for that, Know them well. May call in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

I find this guide helpfull but have a personal preference for the powerbar brand of gels.
    The Triathlon guide is pretty good and maybe the 70:3 guide is close to the GF in terms of time spent in action.

http://www.highfive.co.uk/min_leaflets/guides.html

You should probably load up a little before hand .

I find the gels with Caffine help as they keep the mind alert when you begin to falter .
    The the highfive energy source extreme is a good drink for the bottle/backpack as it has a good caffine boost in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

As one of the speakers.... We haven't been asked to push any gear, and I won't be doing so either. That's an incorrect assumption you've made for yourself there. Try not to assume the worst of everyone.

• Advertisement

Do we really need to take these gels. What's wrong with a few bars of chocolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

Do we really need to take these gels. What's wrong with a few bars of chocolate?

I won't be doing the gel thing ..tried it in the past when training for marathons and couldn't tolerate them. Also, on a personal note I don't like the thought of quick highs- I'd rather just have a constant stream of energy. I think if you're going to do it in a quick time then gels are the way to go. For the average person I think that gels are ok, but should be used with either solids or sportsdrink ( and water).

I'll be having my usual stock - banana, fig rolls, flapjacks and powerade ( the only sports drink I can tolerate) and maybe a couple of Jellies for the last bit on the bike, so you won't be alone on the no-gel thing.

I'm gonna mix it up- natural highs to start off (bananas/bars/raisins), and start with the gels at the base of CP for some 'chemical highs'.. I hate the idea of putting that muck into my body but hey, whatever gets you through the last hour.. as for bagels- love them myself, and will certainly have one that morning before the race, but would they not be a bit slow to digest during the race?

Enduro- apologies- let's just say my assumptions come from past experiences.. it's no bad thing anyway- they're a commercial entity after all, and i'm sure people do still need a load of stuff- i know i do anyway! I didnt mean that the speakers would be pushing gear, but more the store.. and why shouldnt they?

Best of luck with the evening and i'll be looking fwd to hearing the tips from anyone who goes.. i'd be going myself only that i've a long spin scheduled for around the same time.

watergal wrote: »
    I won't be doing the gel thing ..tried it in the past when training for marathons and couldn't tolerate them. Also, on a personal note I don't like the thought of quick highs- I'd rather just have a constant stream of energy. I think if you're going to do it in a quick time then gels are the way to go. For the average person I think that gels are ok, but should be used with either solids or sportsdrink ( and water).

I'll be having my usual stock - banana, fig rolls, flapjacks and powerade ( the only sports drink I can tolerate) and maybe a couple of Jellies for the last bit on the bike, so you won't be alone on the no-gel thing.

I think I'll be doing something similar - too late in the day to be messing with gels, though I might try a power bar this weekend on a long spin on the bike.

Just realised I'm on the 6am bus, not the 6:30 - there's another me out there starting a half hour later.
    Gonna have to figure out a good breakfast to eat en route.

breakfast should ideally be a min of 2 hours before really spurs.. so you'd really want to be finished eating by 5.30, as you start at 7.30.. bloody early to be eating.

i suppose if you had a good bowl of pasta the nite before, a smallish breakfast (banana and half a bagel), would do you, but you'd have to be very rigid with your eating throughout the race then

i plan on having breakfast at 6am- bagel, eggs, weetabix and large coffee.. i cant operate on an empty tank. i'm used to eating early so it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Last adventure race out I had a massive breakfast of tea, weetabix, toast and then some pasta ! Then again this was about 4 hours before I actually started. I'm in a late wave this time round so I might just do the same again.

that's similar to what i have as well this regard- i throw in an egg as well for the craic- and i prefer bagels with peanut butter over toast with butter.. and coffee over tea. but whatever works and is tried and tested is good!

god, i'm very excited now. just saw on the website of my hotel that we've a jacuzzi and sauna- SCORE- that's where i'll be soaking on sunday morning to cure the sore bod!

breakfast should ideally be a min of 2 hours before really spurs.. so you'd really want to be finished eating by 5.30, as you start at 7.30.. bloody early to be eating.

i suppose if you had a good bowl of pasta the nite before, a smallish breakfast (banana and half a bagel), would do you, but you'd have to be very rigid with your eating throughout the race then

i plan on having breakfast at 6am- bagel, eggs, weetabix and large coffee.. i cant operate on an empty tank. i'm used to eating early so it's fine.

I only came off a crazy work schedule a couple of months ago that had me working at 5am, so I'm not averse to being up & eating early.
    I plan on the usual porridge & honey, but after that I might throw in a breakfast bar or two - easy to eat on the way to the bus. I have a personal hatred of bananas, even though I know how good they are, I can't look at them, so will have to make do with alternatives.

I'm thinking of using caprisun on the bike - I've found it the most unbelievable pick-me-up, nice mix of juice & sugar to get me going again.

Then I'll have plenty of jaffa cakes - might have to hunt out the jaffa bars, easier to carry than the biscuits, and some nutri-grains. Won't need much on the first run to the kayaks, so will be minimal stuff in the backpack, mostly stored with the bike & transferred to backpack when I get to the transition.
    May have a bar while waiting for kayak, and again on the way to the bike, so that would be about it in the backpack - along with some water.

Its so hard to know whats right - will probably try to take some stuff while on the bike, give it time to digest and get to the system before the reek.

Try and plan now I suppose, then just hope it goes alright on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

I only came off a crazy work schedule a couple of months ago that had me working at 5am, so I'm not averse to being up & eating early.
    I plan on the usual porridge & honey, but after that I might throw in a breakfast bar or two - easy to eat on the way to the bus. I have a personal hatred of bananas, even though I know how good they are, I can't look at them, so will have to make do with alternatives.

I'm thinking of using caprisun on the bike - I've found it the most unbelievable pick-me-up, nice mix of juice & sugar to get me going again.

Then I'll have plenty of jaffa cakes - might have to hunt out the jaffa bars, easier to carry than the biscuits, and some nutri-grains. Won't need much on the first run to the kayaks, so will be minimal stuff in the backpack, mostly stored with the bike & transferred to backpack when I get to the transition.
    May have a bar while waiting for kayak, and again on the way to the bike, so that would be about it in the backpack - along with some water.

Its so hard to know whats right - will probably try to take some stuff while on the bike, give it time to digest and get to the system before the reek.

I can't go a day without a banana .. Just had my 12 o' clock banana 38 mins ago ! love them ! ( but hate apples ..)

• Advertisement

That is crucial. Make a plan, and stick to it. I didnt do that at all last yr- as a result i had one banana and one bar for the entire race- disaster! i didnt feel like eating the rest of the stuff so didnt bother, but i had no clear plan as to what and when.. was a spent woman crossing the line. Even if i have to forcefeed myself i'll be eating every half hour this time.

So here's my plan for what it's worth:

Brekkie (5.30am)- hot water/lemon
    small bowl of porridge with raisins/razzas
    wholemeal bagel with peanut butter
    large coffee

On the bus: banana 1

Kayak interchange: Energy bar of some sort, natural as possible
    At bike: banana 2
    Midway through bike: jaffa bar (great call spurs)
    End of bike: banana 3.
    1/3 way up CP: energy gel 1
    At summit of CP: energy gel 2
    Back on bike: energy gel 3

Will also have some jellies / raisins in my pocket to eat throughout- or some boiled sweets

1 lt of water on back with diorlyte. refill at kayak.
    750mls x 2 of luco sport/water mix (dont like it straight) on bike.

There you go. comments welcome! is 3 bananas too much? afraid i'd be constipated for days!

Advertisement