Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

99% decided I'm going to use a mtb with slicks instead of my road bike with tourers. The roads aren't the best and if the wind is anything like last year no chance of making big gains, and if you can handle a bike at all you should be able to save a good bit of time on the CP sections.
    Unless you're in the elites (or trying to beat your ex in your wave :) ) take a break at the top of CP, give the legs a couple of mins to recover, have something to eat/drink.
    Put on your jacket and go for it, you're an hour ish from home!

You've got those the wrong way round. The more windy it is the more a road bike is likely to gain on a MTB. The better aerodymanics of the road bike position will ensure that. There's only about 200 metres of the course that I can't cycle on a road bike (And some people seem to give that bit a go as well).

If you need to take a break at the top of CP then you've got your pacing wrong, and you're just throwing away all the hard earned time you gained working hard to get up the hill in the first place (A good example of not racing intelligently). Never stop whilst you're on the clock.

DO you know if this talk is on the web anywhere or the text of it ? The advice from these guys beats most of the fumbling here hands down.

Well I'm here on boards, if that's any help! (I'm Eoin)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Enduro wrote: »
    . Never stop whilst you're on the clock.

Absolutely!

Firstly, stopping nearly makes you more tired as far as i'm concerned.. go as slowly as you need to, but keep moving.

The amt of people that stopped at the top of CP last yr was unbelievable- people sitting down having snacks and taking pictures (god knows why, the visibility was ZERO)

each to their own but i'm with you, never stop whilst youre on the clock-it's a RACE goddamit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Where would you get one of these Marino Wool base layers online?

Not based in Dublin, so wouldn't get near that shop.

Thanks.

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Thanks enduro.. will you be wearing it from the start if the weather is ok setting out? or bringing it to change into at base of CP?

impossible to know really until the day i suppose

I am a danger to myself when i enter stores like Basecamp- i guarantee you i'll come out 200-300 quid lighter on sat- as you say though, these are investment pieces and make all the difference on the day.

God, i'm excited now.

Indeed the weather on the day will dictate things. I usually bring two different groups of gear with me to these kinds of race. one for good weather, one for crap weather. My favourite Marino top is common to both though, so more than likely I'll be wearing it from the start. 2 years ago I started with a base layer and a good goretex shell on, and didn't change anything over the duration of the race.

• Advertisement

more than likely I'll be wearing it from the start. 2 years ago I started with a base layer and a good goretex shell on, and didn't change anything over the duration of the race.

same as, last yr- i wore a salomon tech top and north face goretex shell for the entire race- i was a perfect temperature apart from the CP climb. was miserable.

gonna get my hands on one of those merino bad boys. tks enduro

CKWPORT wrote: »

Thanks.

I've rarely look for gear online, so I wouldn't know to be honest. I'm sure google will return a million possibilities :D Plenty of brands do them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Indeed the weather on the day will dictate things. I usually bring two different groups of gear with me to these kinds of race. one for good weather, one for crap weather. My favourite Marino top is common to both though, so more than likely I'll be wearing it from the start. 2 years ago I started with a base layer and a good goretex shell on, and didn't change anything over the duration of the race.

Are you not likely to overheat with a Goretex ?

*Though I suppose for a serious competitor like yourself, this will be top of the range breathable stuff.

I was considering the same gear I wore in Connemara Challenge, ie UnderArmour shortsleeve base layer, shortsleeve cycling jersey over it, with a lightweight waterproof jacket stuff in the jersey pocket in case of rain.

Whats your opinion on something like that - is it sufficient in case of bad weather, or should I have an alternative option just in case?

bear in mind that the weather in connemara was pretty awesome (a) and (b) there's a couple hundred extra metres of altitude spurs

i'll be bringing an extra top this yr for defo

Are you not likely to overheat with a Goretex ?

*Though I suppose for a serious competitor like yourself, this will be top of the range breathable stuff.

I was considering the same gear I wore in Connemara Challenge, ie UnderArmour shortsleeve base layer, shortsleeve cycling jersey over it, with a lightweight waterproof jacket stuff in the jersey pocket in case of rain.

Whats your opinion on something like that - is it sufficient in case of bad weather, or should I have an alternative option just in case?

Another extemely important bit of advice, as this one is saftey related...

It very easy to cool down from being too warm. Its very hard to warm up from being too cold, and getting too cold is the most likely thing to get you into serious danger in a race like this. So err on the side of being warm. You can easily take a layer off to cool down.

A good lightweight goretex (or equivalent) jacket won't necessarily make you overheat. It all depends on conditions on the day. It was damp on the day I raced GF with it, so it was working to keep the moisture out directly, and also was windproof so I didn't suffer any windchill on the kayak or bike, or on CP. If it had been a scorhcer it would have been in my rucksack and I'd have just worn the baselayer.

And yes, I would be using fairly top of the range lightweight breathable stuff. I've been in plenty of other races where having the right gear to be able to deal with whatever the weather throws at you has made all the difference to finishing and not finishing. (In one particular race, a Scottish storm overnight elimanated two thirds of the field from the race on the first of 5 days).

I peronally wouldn't go with your gear combination, but it actually sounds fine. Add arm warmers and I think you'd be there. If the weather is bad at the start and forecast to stay bad, then its worth having the best jacket you can get, whatever the weight (In my opinion!).

• Advertisement

bear in mind that the weather in connemara was pretty awesome (a) and (b) there's a couple hundred extra metres of altitude spurs

i'll be bringing an extra top this yr for defo

Oh I'm more than aware of the changing climate in this country, and the fantastic weather we had in May. I've also been up and down Croagh Patrick a few times, once when it was snow capped, but never when racing or training.

I've ran on the roads in shorts while it snowed though, and still sweated, so I'm just wondering how warm of layers you'll actually need when pushing yourself up and down the mountain at pace.

Too many things to consider for the first timer, but might be worth an extra layer in the bag just in case - especially if I leave it with the bike.

I peronally wouldn't go with your gear combination, but it actually sounds fine. Add arm warmers and I think you'd be there. If the weather is bad at the start and forecast to stay bad, then its worth having the best jacket you can get, whatever the weight (In my opinion!).

Appreciate the feedback.

I think I'll have a look around, see whats out there, would consider a long sleeve jersey or a different base layer if I can pick one up on a good deal.

Probably need to get this sorted this weekend - time is beginning to run out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

CKWPORT wrote: »

Thanks.

As far as I know, they sell them in Hewetson's on Bridge St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

You've got those the wrong way round. The more windy it is the more a road bike is likely to gain on a MTB. The better aerodymanics of the road bike position will ensure that. There's only about 200 metres of the course that I can't cycle on a road bike (And some people seem to give that bit a go as well).

If you need to take a break at the top of CP then you've got your pacing wrong, and you're just throwing away all the hard earned time you gained working hard to get up the hill in the first place (A good example of not racing intelligently). Never stop whilst you're on the clock.
    Fair points, but I have tri bars and having to overtake people in the valley negated a lot of that. The only section it was a benefit was from the bottom of the 1st hill to the hill up to CP. Proper setup on the mtb is required of course, should have mentioned I might move the tri bars over. I cycled the offroad last year fine on the racer but having to dodge people walking their bikes slowed things a bit as well.
    My reasoning for a rest at the top of CP is if the legs are feeling the burn give them a quick break to prepare for heading back down, wobbly knees on the way down wouldn't be the nicest.
    I'm aiming this more at people who aren't out to race so to speak but complete it, if you're going flat out then a nod and a wink to the 3 wise men giving out the wristbands is all the rest you'll need :)

My reasoning for a rest at the top of CP is if the legs are feeling the burn give them a quick break to prepare for heading back down, wobbly knees on the way down wouldn't be the nicest.

My view on that would be that you'd be better off, at the very least, moving around at the top for a few minutes rather than stopping completely. What i'll be doing is commencing my ascent IMMEDIATELY, albeit initally slowly, to allow the legs readjust. There's little but stiff legs to be gained from taking a rest. At the very least, keep moving.

i think we're all starting to psyche each other out:D:D What'll we be like in 2 weeks time- i think i'll have to stop logging onto boards by then, i'll be too freaked out:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

My view on that would be that you'd be better off, at the very least, moving around at the top for a few minutes rather than stopping completely. What i'll be doing is commencing my ascent IMMEDIATELY, albeit initally slowly, to allow the legs readjust. There's little but stiff legs to be gained from taking a rest. At the very least, keep moving.

i think we're all starting to psyche each other out:D:D What'll we be like in 2 weeks time- i think i'll have to stop logging onto boards by then, i'll be too freaked out:D:D

Yeah, I'm already getting quite freaked out !!
    Been out of action for last few days with dodgy foot, trying to rest it
    until the weekend before easing back into the training.......
    Hardly slept last night for thinking about it !!
    Only 15 days and 7 hours left to go :D:D Arrrgghhhhhh !!!!

Hardly slept last night for thinking about it !!
    Only 15 days and 7 hours left to go :D:D Arrrgghhhhhh !!!!

I was awake half the nite strategising about my nutrition plan. Will i start with a banana, or bar? will i start with gels at bottom, or middle of CP? Will i bring my protein shake in the car, to make sure i can consume in within 20 mins of finishing?

someone slap me!:)

i was so much more easing going about it last yr. Ignorance was, indeed, bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The sooner the 21st comes the better!!!!

I was ready ages ago!!! Only getting injured these days ticking over.

You're right!
    Best thing to do is take what good advice you see, but focus on what you feel best with
    e.g. Quickest way up the lower part of CP is straight, but that really only applies if you've longer legs :) some of the jumps are that bit over a good step up so for me zig zag is quicker, but if I had longer legs i'd go straight...
    Same goes for food/water and choice of footwear, listen to the advice here but go with what is best for you (once you're confident with your choice)

You're right!
    e.g. Quickest way up the lower part of CP is straight, but that really only applies if you've longer legs :) some of the jumps are that bit over a good step up so for me zig zag is quicker, but if I had longer legs i'd go straight...

That's why i'm thinking zig zag up, straight down. the longer legs bit is less of an issue strength wise on the way down.

ur right, i went straight up last time, and there were a few spots where it was like climbing 5 steps of a stairs in 1!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

You're right!
    Best thing to do is take what good advice you see, but focus on what you feel best with
    Same goes for food/water and choice of footwear, listen to the advice here but go with what is best for you (once you're confident with your choice)

I'm 5 ft 8 with longish legs.. but I wouldn't trust myself to go straight up as my sense of direction is non-existent and I know I'd end up all over the place ! ( I know straight is straight, but it's me and if you knew me you'd believe it..)

Have asked my dad to sit down and go through the map of the GF route with me and explain it as I'm that useless ! He's going to go through it with me twice a week from now until GF so that I understand it well.
    Can't beat the Irish daddies !
    He always says that driving with me is like driving with Thelma and Louise "cos you'll never know where you'll end up when she's drivin' "

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Enduro; any thoughts on compression socks or calf sleeves ? dont overly suffer from cramp but calves cramped badly on GF and ROAR last year but the hydration was poor then .

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

Is it too late to start training iv done 3 runs so far, dont want to over train, why o why did they have to take the tricky hill out of the start. hope i can beat my time of 5hrs last year with just about as much training..... aghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Curse whoever mentioned Wiggle on this forum! I've ordered about 5 times in the past week from them. Got my Camelbak Octane bag today and LOVE IT - much more comfortable than the Camelbak Cloud Walker yoke I had before! Hopefully have enough time to get properly used to running with it...

Just looking through the kit list now to make sure I have everything. Can anyone recommend where I can get a reasonable waterproof top cheap-ish? I just feel like I've spent a fortune already as I only got the bike recently and have had to buy lots of other gear. The cheapest on Wiggle is about € 70 and I'm thinking surely you can get them cheaper elsewhere? And yes before anyone says it I'm sure you get what you pay for etc, but for now I just wanna save money!:)

On another note, anyone here register late and get stuck in a late wave (08:30!) like me!?

Just watched the video on the Interactive part of the GFW website there (hadn't noticed it before) and it just makes me want to get out there and run it NOW!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did the GF route on the bike again this evening, one word of warning though on the new bog route, there is a chipped surface, spot on that, but towards the end of the chipped section there is a nice hill, most (including myself) put the pedal down only for a very rough section to come on me very fast.
    So just keep that in mind as someone could take a real tumble.

Also on the last section of that route there is that hill, as you come up towards the last 50ft of it give it socks or else the wheels will spin on you.

Thanks for all the advice there Enduro, totally agree on the roadbike statements, a roadbike will beat the MTB hands down, except for 200m of skelp so if you the choice stick to the road bike.

g0g wrote: »
    Just looking through the kit list now to make sure I have everything. Can anyone recommend where I can get a reasonable waterproof top cheap-ish? I just feel like I've spent a fortune already as I only got the bike recently and have had to buy lots of other gear. The cheapest on Wiggle is about € 70 and I'm thinking surely you can get them cheaper elsewhere? And yes before anyone says it I'm sure you get what you pay for etc, but for now I just wanna save money!:)

Planning to get the Octane myself.
    This jacket came highly rated somewhere in the cycling forum last week
    Montane FeatherLite Velo Jacket - €49.56

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Does anybody know if they have made the zig-zag route up to Croagh Patrick mandatory or is it still optional?

Pity they took the hill out of the first run. That was my breather section! May go for the racing flats instead of the Salomons now. Nothing too slippy left is there?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Outside of CP its relatively flat alright ya for sure. That hill was pure hell, last year I remember thinking that I was not going to finish GF!! :)

Enduro; any thoughts on compression socks or calf sleeves ? dont overly suffer from cramp but calves cramped badly on GF and ROAR last year but the hydration was poor then .

Fix the cause, not the symtoms. Get your hydration plan right! No thoughts on compression socks etc as I don't really use them. I've heard the makreting speil and I'm not particularly convinced. I do wear powerstretch leggings a lot, which may have a similar effect, but that's incidental (the main reason for wearing them is that they're easy to run and cycle in, and if the weather is cold and we they're excellent at keeping the legs warm).

• Advertisement

Pity they took the hill out of the first run. That was my breather section! May go for the racing flats instead of the Salomons now. Nothing too slippy left is there?

Oh not much at all! Just the other running sections. Don't forget the 1.5km of tufty grass after the kayak, and the minor matter of Croagh Patrick :D

Advertisement