Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    i think we're all starting to psyche each other out:D:D What'll we be like in 2 weeks time- i think i'll have to stop logging onto boards by then, i'll be too freaked out:D:D

you guys are! Relax a bit. Remember you should be doing this for fun and enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Fair points, but I have tri bars and having to overtake people in the valley negated a lot of that. The only section it was a benefit was from the bottom of the 1st hill to the hill up to CP. Proper setup on the mtb is required of course, should have mentioned I might move the tri bars over. I cycled the offroad last year fine on the racer but having to dodge people walking their bikes slowed things a bit as well.
    My reasoning for a rest at the top of CP is if the legs are feeling the burn give them a quick break to prepare for heading back down, wobbly knees on the way down wouldn't be the nicest.
    I'm aiming this more at people who aren't out to race so to speak but complete it, if you're going flat out then a nod and a wink to the 3 wise men giving out the wristbands is all the rest you'll need :)

So you're going to take a mountain bike, put tri bars on it to get into a more aero position, and put slicks on it to get better on-road performance. End result - a particularly heavy and undergeared version of a road bike. All the advantages of neither bike! All the disadvantages of both.

If you're not out to do your best possible time then you're strategy is fine, if somewhat random. If you want to make the most of your own ability then you're strategy is poor. I'm not trying to pick on you here, just trying to make you realise that you're make life (well, the GF part of it anyway!) much harder for yourself than it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Does anybody know if they have made the zig-zag route up to Croagh Patrick mandatory or is it still optional?

?

Good question!
    It should really be mandatory for a few reasons but mainly for safely and erosion containment. Harder to find bonked lads strewn on the side of the mountain then sitting on the path. In racing terms it's marketed as a non nav marked course so everyone should do the same route - to that end there should also be a marked route from the kayak to the road. Two lads lost time on me last year by going too high from the kayaks.

I might send them an email to find out. The shock, asking somewhere other then boards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Does anybody know if they have made the zig-zag route up to Croagh Patrick mandatory or is it still optional?

I thought it was supposed to be mandatory this year, I was expecting to see that in a mail from the organisers at some stage, as there was a lot of talk after GF around Westport last year, that it might have to be mandatory, as they don't want a new path eroded into the back of the reek, and also the safety risk.

I always do the zig zag anyways, I find it a lot easier than straight up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Asked that myself yesterday but no answer so I expect it's still unknown, afaik there was a push to make the zig-zag route mandatory for this year but heard nothing since.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is it too late to start training iv done 3 runs so far, dont want to over train, why o why did they have to take the tricky hill out of the start. hope i can beat my time of 5hrs last year with just about as much training..... aghhhhh

No you will be sound, get a 2km run in now once or twice per week, and a 10km cycle in.
    You will be well fit for it, with the new route you will probably come in under the 4.5hrs.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

yop wrote: »
    No you will be sound, get a 2km run in now once or twice per week, and a 10km cycle in.
    You will be well fit for it, with the new route you will probably come in under the 4.5hrs.
    Best of luck

I'd slightly tweak that and cut down the run to 1.43kms at PMP. Anything over that, is overtraining and could lead to knee splints.

The 10km cycle is fine but should be done on a Dublin Bike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I'd slightly tweak that and cut down the run to 1.43kms at PMP. Anything over that, is overtraining and could lead to knee splints.

The 10km cycle is fine but should be done on a Dublin Bike.

I didn't want to mention the knee splints because they are rare as hens teeth but you are correct to rise this as a potential knock on effect.

I think though the Dublin Bike with tri-bars will do the job :P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Hey All, Newbie here and also GFW newbie. Been reading this forum without registering for the past few weeks and delighted with all the info and wisdom and seeing ppl asking questions that I needed answers for.
    Trying not to get too uptight about the event and as someone wisely said in an earlier post "Complete, not compete".
    Instead I want to think of the prize.....a sense of accomplishment and a good night out. So, to that end, what is the craic like normally in WP after GFW? I was supposed to have a load of friends taking part too but most have pulled out!!!:rolleyes:

rebelreded wrote: »
    Hey All, Newbie here and also GFW newbie. Been reading this forum without registering for the past few weeks and delighted with all the info and wisdom and seeing ppl asking questions that I needed answers for.
    Trying not to get too uptight about the event and as someone wisely said in an earlier post "Complete, not compete".
    Instead I want to think of the prize.....a sense of accomplishment and a good night out. So, to that end, what is the craic like normally in WP after GFW? I was supposed to have a load of friends taking part too but most have pulled out!!!:rolleyes:

You have it in one there about the complete, you will enjoy it, the sense of achievement and the comradeship is class.

The Sat nite was busy last year, the rain washed out the after party but there was plenty of tired heads in Westport! :)

Get your mates up to cheer you on anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

welcome!

there was an afterparty last yr in westport house, which was a WASH OUT cos of the deluge.. so we all hit the pubs in westport and had great craic. Everybody was sharing stories and comparing notes/bruises/stiffness.. great buzz. will be even better this yr as the finish line is in the town etc.

There's a real sense of comraderie around the course, we met 2 people who took part on their own, on the bus, and ended up hanging out with them later that nite too. same happened in connemara, made a few new buddies there too. the adventure race crew seem to be very friendly- i havent done any tri's (yet- that's next yrs task) but they seem more clique-ish.. (now i coudl be totally wrong there so dont all kill me!) I can however vouch for the heads in the adventure race circuit, fierce friendly, welcoming and chatty..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

welcome!

there was an afterparty last yr in westport house, which was a WASH OUT cos of the deluge.. so we all hit the pubs in westport and had great craic. Everybody was sharing stories and comparing notes/bruises/stiffness.. great buzz. will be even better this yr as the finish line is in the town etc.

A word of warning there...the finish line according to the official site, is on the Quay in Westport - this is close to Westport House, and most certainly not in the middle of town.
    Its one of the reasons I chose The Atlantic Coast Hotel to stay, as I'll be able to fall back to the car/hotel after I finish.

See following map:-
    The Quay, Westport

yeah, but it's outside the confines of westport house, which is a good thing imo- westport house was a big anticlimax last yr i thought... the quay is on the outskirts of the town alright, but there should be much more town participation all the same, which will be nice.

I'm in the harbour mill- which is also on the quayside i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Seems to me that they could be part of the same complex, Harbour Mill being a self-catering option beside the hotel.

I'll leave the clarification on that to the boards native CKWPORT. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Harbour Mill is practically right beside the Atlantic Coast Hotel...

The finish will probably be set up in or around the green area infront of them. So ye both got 2 great spots to stay for it.

All part of the same block, so ye will be neighbours.

I wonder will they close off the quay for the finish, I can't see how they will manage to get a finish line with 3000 bikes and competitors to "Fit" down there.

Really looking forward to it now but same as most here, feel that I am massively underprepared.
    Cycling will be the easy bit as I cycled 60km up and down the Vee (btw Tipp and Waterford) last week and I have run up to 13km before but climbed the reek a few weeks back and found it very tough, had to stop a good few times on the ascent. Even though it is smaller than Galtymore, it is way tougher, imho anyway!

Really looking forward to it now but same as most here, feel that I am massively underprepared.
    Cycling will be the easy bit as I cycled 60km up and down the Vee (btw Tipp and Waterford) last week and I have run up to 13km before but climbed the reek a few weeks back and found it very tough, had to stop a good few times on the ascent. Even though it is smaller than Galtymore, it is way tougher, imho anyway!

What wave are you in? You are welcome to "Tag along" with us, there are 10/12 of us in the same wave. Varying abilities , aiming for circa the 6 hour mark myself so you are welcome to join up. We are in the 5am wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Hi there,

I have a Lapiere bike that has puncture resistant tires but they are only 700 x 23c. should I buy the gaitor tyres that are recommended or would I get away with the ones I have? I could do without the expense.
    Great advice on this forum by the way!
    A word of warning to anyone that registered early for GF, make sure u check ur race no online as I wasn't assigned a no. I contacted GF folks and they sorted me but not for the original time I requested.

Good luck to everyone!

What wave are you in? You are welcome to "Tag along" with us, there are 10/12 of us in the same wave. Varying abilities , aiming for circa the 6 hour mark myself so you are welcome to join up. We are in the 5am wave.

Thanks a million for the kind offer but another rookie mistake means that I am in the 8.00 jogger section. Hope to God that the weather is not too bad as I can only imagine the mudbath otherwise. Would be great to see everyone afterwards and I'm sure a plan in relation to this will emerge closer to the day.
    Will have my brother for company but he is a "fit as a flea" skinny wretch and I am a rugby prop (enough said) who is only getting his act together after many years of poor fitness.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the kind offer but another rookie mistake means that I am in the 8.00 jogger section. Hope to God that the weather is not too bad as I can only imagine the mudbath otherwise. Would be great to see everyone afterwards and I'm sure a plan in relation to this will emerge closer to the day.
    Will have my brother for company but he is a "fit as a flea" skinny wretch and I am a rugby prop (enough said) who is only getting his act together after many years of poor fitness.

No problem at all, wouldn't worry about what size u are to be honest, if its in the legs its in the legs :)

Took a quick look at the weather there for the long range forecast and the Thurs and Fri are promised sunny, but the Sat cloudy :) No rain!, but then again could it be trusted lol.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast3.asp?partner=accuweather&postalcode=SG17+5QA

darabbit - Thats a debate that will go on til the cows come home. If you have kevlars you "should" be ok with common sense, done the route twice on kevlars and touch wood no punctures.
    I do have max psi in the tires though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Anyone know Is the kayak section ( end of run start of kayak ) being timed out this year
    Can't find info on this thread or on GF site

thanks

a rugby prop from cork? fairly high chance i know you. were you a pres boy?

cant believe my hotel is right on the finishline- that's a total fluke and one that i'm very happy about- makes life a lot easier- was 10 miles out last yr and it was a right pain

seanie500 wrote: »
    Anyone know Is the kayak section ( end of run start of kayak ) being timed out this year
    Can't find info on this thread or on GF site

thanks

god yeah- absolutely..

weve been saying here, while youre waiting for a kayak (anything up to half an hour!) make sure you move around- i didnt do that last yr, my legs were like lead by the time i got out the kayak to do the last 4km run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

god yeah- absolutely..

weve been saying here, while youre waiting for a kayak (anything up to half an hour!) make sure you move around- i didnt do that last yr, my legs were like lead by the time i got out the kayak to do the last 4km run

Actually, at the talk during the week, it was said there will be no time out for the kayak section this year.

But i tihnk they may be referring to the fact that elites are not timed out.

The FAQ kayak section states:

Remember, you are TIMED OUT here and if you do end up waiting for a boat, it won’t matter for your race time. Whatever happens, you will not wait for long as our logistics will be designed to cope with 500 + competitors and the tiered start system will ensure you don’t all end up there together

i think that was the same last yr- no time out for elites, time out for the mere mortals

heading in to basecamp after work- very excited. need.to.get.out.more:D

a rugby prop from cork? fairly high chance i know you. were you a pres boy?

cant believe my hotel is right on the finishline- that's a total fluke and one that i'm very happy about- makes life a lot easier- was 10 miles out last yr and it was a right pain

Doubt it WG, not from the city and definitely didn't go to Pres, or CBC for that matter.

We are staying in Hotel Westport, bit of a trek from the finish but not too far to stagger home later on that night......I think anyway!

From what I remember I THINK you can still access the back of Hotel Westport from Westport House so that would save you a big trek. Ask that in the Hotel, maybe even give them a ring and see.

From what I remember I THINK you can still access the back of Hotel Westport from Westport House so that would save you a big trek. Ask that in the Hotel, maybe even give them a ring and see.

Thanks for that, just phoned them and that access is closed. Won't be bad on the bike anyway:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

All part of the same block, so ye will be neighbours.

I wonder will they close off the quay for the finish, I can't see how they will manage to get a finish line with 3000 bikes and competitors to "Fit" down there.

I'm guessing that the finish is at the football pitch down at the 'Point'. That's where the start, finish and transition area for the Westport 25.5 triathlon was. It worked out fine I hear. The road closure notices were in the local paper this week, no mention of the Quay.

Advertisement