Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I know Rebel, it's a bloody disaster, only that it's a wedding and a hen of 2 of my best friends, there's no way i'd be on the piss this weekend. I'll try and take it reasonably easy, but once i've started, i find it hard to stop! I guess as long as i keep getting the water into me It shoudl help

Nutrition wise- check out this great article..

http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/2010/08/top-10-nutrition-tips-for-1-day-adventure-races/comment-page-1/#comment-4

Training wise- you shoudl ideally have 4 days of rest before the day.. or certainly you shoudl be tapering down your training from sunday/monday- a gentle cycle is fine, not much more though. Fresh legs required on the day, as i'm sure you already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    I know Rebel, it's a bloody disaster, only that it's a wedding and a hen of 2 of my best friends, there's no way i'd be on the piss this weekend. I'll try and take it reasonably easy, but once i've started, i find it hard to stop! I guess as long as i keep getting the water into me It shoudl help

Nutrition wise- check out this great article..

http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/2010/08/top-10-nutrition-tips-for-1-day-adventure-races/comment-page-1/#comment-4

Training wise- you shoudl ideally have 4 days of rest before the day.. or certainly you shoudl be tapering down your training from sunday/monday- a gentle cycle is fine, not much more though. Fresh legs required on the day, as i'm sure you already know.

Ta WG, loads of great advice there. I stupidly thought that the carbo-loading should start 3-4 days before the event but it seems that 1-2 days is plenty. Damn, I was looking forward to next weeks eating....;-)

i know yeah, i was like someone 6 mths pregnant before GF last yr, i'd been carbloading for about a month:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

hi guys , did the 30km cycle route yesterday for GF up to CP , new route up to CP very gravelly and hard to cycle, rest of it wasnt too bad , however i did have the wind on my back most of the way , descent from delphi to liscarney will be tricky , know its late on now but any good ideas where i can get the gaitor tyres at reasonable cost ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

folks what happens if you need a number 1 or heaven forbid a number 2...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Toilets at the start, and if I remember rightly at CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

id say they have portaloos at the transitions , think i might have seen some in the backround in transition in a pic on the GF website

Thank you for asking that. Been wondering:o

there were portaloos at the bottom of CP i'm nearly sure.. did i imagine that? there definitely are some at the kayak transition anyway, used them myself last yr- as per usual i took on too much water that morning and neeeded to go to the loo about 8 times before / during the race.

you shouldnt really need to do a number 2 if you, ahem, make sure you get it out that morning first.. a good strong coffee (or whatever works for you)

some people say the gels can have that affect on them, so if they do, dont use them during the race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Hi g0g, I've the DHB jacket, its grand as far as im concerned and is very good for the cycling in terms of water repellance. just beware, there is only a rear pocket - no front/side pockets.
    Thanks, good to hear that one is good, although I'm hoping to avoid the pricier one if possible! :)
    I plan on using a running jacket bought in Aldi for about €15 (wind and water resitant -not waterproof ), I can understand its advantages and safety benefits on the reek but apart from that if its wet/raining no matter what you wear you will get saturated.
    I've actually got one of those too!! Was thinking maybe it's a bit flimsy and useless though for if it's a very cold day. That said, I'll already have a long-sleeve base layer plus some sort of t-shirt on me too! Decisions decisions...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mangotron

yeah getting pretty close now isn't it. sooo, ehm, anyone know where i could rent a racer??

mangotron wrote: »
    yeah getting pretty close now isn't it. sooo, ehm, anyone know where i could rent a racer??

yeah- phoenix park bike hire

http://www.phoenixparkbikehire.com

There's a place in galway too, i dont know if they rent racers tho- email alan there, he's quite helpful

http://www.bikehireireland.com/
    alan@bikehireireland.com = they drop and pick up to GFW, but as i said, i'm not sure if they rent racers.. phoenix park guy definitely does though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

mangotron wrote: »

Clew bay bike hire , http://www.clewbayoutdoors.com/, are located in Westport. I think the best they'll have is a Giant hybrid but if you call Travis maybe he can sort you out with something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Seres wrote: »
    hi guys , did the 30km cycle route yesterday for GF up to CP , new route up to CP very gravelly and hard to cycle, rest of it wasnt too bad , however i did have the wind on my back most of the way , descent from delphi to liscarney will be tricky , know its late on now but any good ideas where i can get the gaitor tyres at reasonable cost ?

Got mine in Wheelworx in Clondalkin. €30 each. I'll be heading down to recce the route thurs or friday so if you can't get them locally you could order them over the phone and i'd be happy to bring them down with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Hey,

Does anyone have any advice or past experience with regards to camping in and around Westport/Killary Harbour for GaelForceWest?

I have just emailed the two listed options for camping on the website but at this late stage I am expecting them to be full and looking for other options.

Has anyone has any experience? Worst come to worst I think we would just pitch up in a sheltered area/wood somewhere close to Westport and then drive in to be picked up in the morning.

Thanks

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

I camped last year in Westport house ( I think that's what its called, wherever the finishing line was last year ). I expected it to be wedged as well, the girl on the phone said it'd be busy, but when I arrived it was pretty empty and there was plenty of room. Should have no hassle at all.
    I'll be winging it and turning up again without pre-booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

First the good news: my mother and sisters chipped in to get me a lovely Garmin Forerunner 305 for my birthday over the weekend! it's brilliant - you can track your pace, distance, speed, heartrate, etc.

But the bad news: all those runs I've been doing over the past few months, and which I estimated using the speedo on my car, map estimates, etc - they're shorter than I thought! I have a circuit which I do regularly, and which I thought was just over 10K, and having run it tonight, I discovered it's only 9.3K! That means all my other circuits, which have been based on this one, are shorter than I thought, so my careful calculations about my time for GF are all out the window, as my pace is slower than I thought!

By the way, thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips and comments over the past few weeks - it's been great fun checking the posts every day, so keep it up!

Am I right in thinking that following the change in the start section, the first run is now approx 14.4K?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spring

Seres wrote: »

hi Seres, you'll get the gaitor backs from Cliff in Eurocycles, Sth William Street, Dublin 2, or in most bike shops nationwide.

i'm looking for a last minute entry to GFW for a team mate who failed to enter on time :rolleyes: anyone know of a male mid 20s pullinng out for whatever reason? will reimburse entry fees...

thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

First the good news: my mother and sisters chipped in to get me a lovely Garmin Forerunner 305 for my birthday over the weekend! it's brilliant - you can track your pace, distance, speed, heartrate, etc.

But the bad news: all those runs I've been doing over the past few months, and which I estimated using the speedo on my car, map estimates, etc - they're shorter than I thought! I have a circuit which I do regularly, and which I thought was just over 10K, and having run it tonight, I discovered it's only 9.3K! That means all my other circuits, which have been based on this one, are shorter than I thought, so my careful calculations about my time for GF are all out the window, as my pace is slower than I thought!

By the way, thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips and comments over the past few weeks - it's been great fun checking the posts every day, so keep it up!

Am I right in thinking that following the change in the start section, the first run is now approx 14.4K?

Got the 305 myself for the birthday, nice toy :)

Wouldn't panic about the distances, you are still doing great runs! :)

Its just under the 14k mark now I think? It was 12km and they added 1.9km. Still a dog of a run first off. Will be trying to avg that out at 6min per km. But God knows how close I will get to that. :D

Next weekened i will put up a post and IF you want to, put up your starting time (bus leaving time), if you want your number and maybe try a guestimate on your finishing time :)

Spring wrote: »
    hi Seres, you'll get the gaitor backs from Cliff in Eurocycles, Sth William Street, Dublin 2, or in most bike shops nationwide.

i'm looking for a last minute entry to GFW for a team mate who failed to enter on time :rolleyes: anyone know of a male mid 20s pullinng out for whatever reason? will reimburse entry fees...

thanks!

I know a few friends of mine who have pulled out and would welcome a refund but I believe that they will check ID, certainly at registration and don't know about getting on the buses.

Maybe someone else can advise??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Is the first 14k all on the road now? Would I be better off wearing asics rather than trail shoes? I was struggling with the 12 k run.. Not looking forward to the extra 2k. I will have to jog/walk it to keep something in my legs for CP. I could run it but don't want to pay for it later on. God I'm getting nervous now!

darabbit wrote: »
    Is the first 14k all on the road now? Would I be better off wearing asics rather than trail shoes? I was struggling with the 12 k run.. Not looking forward to the extra 2k. I will have to jog/walk it to keep something in my legs for CP. I could run it but don't want to pay for it later on. God I'm getting nervous now!

The famine trail bit is still pretty much off road.. and what about CP- you'd need the trail shoes for that! im certainly not changing my plan to wear trail shoes just based on an extra 2k of road.. it's definitely a bit of a pain that not only is the cycle longer, but now the run is too. the whole thing is 73km now on my calcs.

Nervous too!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

rebelreded wrote: »
    I know a few friends of mine who have pulled out and would welcome a refund but I believe that they will check ID, certainly at registration and don't know about getting on the buses.

Maybe someone else can advise??

Don't know about the ID's, let them try and stop me if I have no ID :) I am not bringing an ID with me anyway.

73k now, nice! :o You sure about that distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    the whole thing is 73km now on my calcs.

73km? Fantastic, now I have a ready-made excuse if I'm slower than last year!

reasonably sure about the 73km.. unfortunately!

last yr on garmin it was 67.1km.. (even though it was billed as 65km approx) so this yr, there's an extra 1.9km run, and 4km cycle, correct?

= 73?

As for IDs- i seriously doubt it- it certainly hasnt been stated in any of the emails etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

darabbit wrote: »

I've been trying to figure out this too. I suffer really bad with shinsplints when running on roads especially in trail shoes. This is greatly reduced when wearing my asics. I reckon I'll take the same time on the first run as on CP so I'm leaning towards wearing the asics. I'd prefer to have to walk large sections of CP than the 1st stage. Anyway I'm doing a recce at the weekend so should help in making my final decision.:confused:

Great yokes aren't they! I got one too as a wedding present a few months back and love the thing! I had been uploading the files to mapmyrun.com, but then recently I discovered the Garmin Connect website and the detail you can go into on there is just so much better! I'm just hoping it's a little bit waterproof on the off-chance I dunk it into Killary while trying to kayak!!

I envy all you people who are familiar with the course and can check it out all these weeks! I've seen Killary Harbour once and I think maybe I've seen CP once, but I can't remember what it looks like! Maybe at this stage I'm better off not knowing! :) I'll just assume it's like the Sugar Loaf 'cept a bit bigger! I'm expecting the day to be full of surprises!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Getting excited/nervous now, pretty much have had 2 weeks off followed by a stag weekend in Liverpool, but I'm going to train pretty hard this week and do a good bit of running :)

• Advertisement

Rinker wrote: »
    I suffer really bad with shinsplints when running on roads especially in trail shoes.

i reckon you're using the wrong trail shoes so. Mine (salomon) are just like asics just with better grips on the soles- that's all you need really. They have slightly more support on the foot, but not so much that you'd get shin splints or anything.

I (stupidly) ran for about 4km in glendalough in hiking boots before (long story as to why!!)- dont try that at home- shin splints for about 3 weeks afterwards

I'm ready for you, gaelforce. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement