Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    = 73?

Dunno about the route being 67.1 instead of 65, it could well be.

But the cycle change only adds just over 2km.
    Climbing the old way was 4.15km, going the bog road to the base is 6.30km.
    Its just a much slower 6km route due to the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Dunno about the route being 67.1 instead of 65, it could well be.

But the cycle change only adds just over 2km.
    Climbing the old way was 4.15km, going the bog road to the base is 6.30km.
    Its just a much slower 6km route due to the surface.

Ok- it's 71km then.. they pretty much ackowledged the 67.1 v 65 last yr afaik.

what's a few Ks between friends when youre doing that distance anyway- bring it i say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PiggyWiggy

Hi Everyone,

I am looking forward to my first Gaelforce. I did a marathon a few weeks ago (in the heat....) and am doing a bit of cycling and uphill training but I'm not quite able to run up hills/mountains!

on the day itself, are there water stations along the course or are we expected to carry all fluids in a camelbak or similar device? Also, on the kit list I can see they want us to have a survival blanket and whistle - are they strict on having this stuff or what?

Final question - where do you put your bike after the finish when you want to go and drink pints??!!

PiggyWiggy wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking forward to my first Gaelforce. I did a marathon a few weeks ago (in the heat....) and am doing a bit of cycling and uphill training but I'm not quite able to run up hills/mountains!

on the day itself, are there water stations along the course or are we expected to carry all fluids in a camelbak or similar device? Also, on the kit list I can see they want us to have a survival blanket and whistle - are they strict on having this stuff or what?

Final question - where do you put your bike after the finish when you want to go and drink pints??!!

The bikes are left in the transition area until you're ready to take it home with you..

there'll be no pints for me when i finish this yr- dont get me wrong, i'll horse into it later on in the evening, but not when i finish.. did that last yr and couldnt walk for a week. need to get some good whey/carbs into you and loads of water.

god, when did i become such a nerd!

as for water stations- there are ones at the base of CP and the kayak anyway.

best of luck with your first GFW- the buzz when you cross the line is unparalleled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PiggyWiggy

The bikes are left in the transition area until you're ready to take it home with you..

there'll be no pints for me when i finish this yr- dont get me wrong, i'll horse into it later on in the evening, but not when i finish.. did that last yr and couldnt walk for a week. need to get some good whey/carbs into you and loads of water.

god, when did i become such a nerd!

as for water stations- there are ones at the base of CP and the kayak anyway.

best of luck with your first GFW- the buzz when you cross the line is unparalleled!

Nice one, but what transition area? Is there another one in Westport House?

Re Nerdiness - you defo sound like one! But you speak wisely, I might be better off heading home for a bath and some stretching before the pints. But if I do this, I probably won't make it back in (house in Murrisk, right beside Campbells Pub)

• Advertisement

PiggyWiggy wrote: »
    Nice one, but what transition area? Is there another one in Westport House?

Re Nerdiness - you defo sound like one! But you speak wisely, I might be better off heading home for a bath and some stretching before the pints. But if I do this, I probably won't make it back in (house in Murrisk, right beside Campbells Pub)

what wave are you in? everyone shoudl be finished by about 4pm this yr, more or less.. it's very early to start drinking when your body is so fooked.. i had 2 pints at the finishing line last yr, did no stretching, and ate a pack of crisps- my muscles were screaming at me the next day

i'm due to be finished at about 1pm, then i plan on stretching, eating, drinking water, soaking in the jacuzzi, getting ready and back for the prizegiving at 7 or so (to collect my prize NOT) and then lash into the gargle all nite long..

woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

what wave are you in? everyone shoudl be finished by about 4pm this yr, more or less.. it's very early to start drinking when your body is so fooked.. i had 2 pints at the finishing line last yr, did no stretching, and ate a pack of crisps- my muscles were screaming at me the next day

i'm due to be finished at about 1pm, then i plan on stretching, eating, drinking water, soaking in the jacuzzi, getting ready and back for the prizegiving at 7 or so (to collect my prize NOT) and then lash into the gargle all nite long..

woo hoo!

get some food in -whatever you can manage and some fluids. Have a luke warm shower and then turn it cold on the legs just before you get out.

Then head out and boogie - your legs will thank you for it the next day !
    I do it after each marathon and works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Silly question and I should know the answer but here goes :
    Usually run these things and tris in your average Nike/Reebok running top but thinking about getting a cycle top for the running/cycle with a short sleeve base layer , How are the cycle top for running in ? I know the cut is different but the functionality should be the same ?
    Looking for the advantage of the pockets/zips of a cycle top .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Silly question and I should know the answer but here goes :
    Usually run these things and tris in your average Nike/Reebok running top but thinking about getting a cycle top for the running/cycle with a short sleeve base layer , How are the cycle top for running in ? I know the cut is different but the functionality should be the same ?
    Looking for the advantage of the pockets/zips of a cycle top .

A few of us have trained or used the cycle tops in events and they are spot on. Been using my own now for the last 2 weeks on runs and on the bike and they are spot on. Also have one of the short sleaved Aldi base layers and find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Short sleeved cycling top is brilliant for these races, much much better then a running top whilst on the bike and not much worse then a running top on the runs. Handy pockets for food and diaralyte sachets too.

This will be personal choice but I generally get away with only the cycling top, the base layer as well would be too warm (for me, most days). I had a base layer on once and spent the whole race after the first 4 minutes wanting to take it off.

Crisps on the finish line are mandatory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

I saw a few posts about what to wear etc, so though I'm a first timer, for what it's worth here's what I'm doing: short sleeve cycle top (Aldi!) over running singlet (also Aldi), with tri-shorts - Santini,I just bought them today, and tried them this evening, and found them comfortable; Salomon XT wings - I think trail shoes are a must. I'll have a lightweight rain jacket in my bag (Camelbak Octane - excellent) along with the other bits and pieces.

I tried High 5 4:1 carbohydrate & protein drink on my cycle tonight, along with a Powerbar gel. it was my first time using either, and I had no ill effects. I felt great at the end - I'm not sure whether it was all the energy from the drink and gel, or whether I'm actually starting to get fit!

Good luck with the last few days training everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

yop wrote: »
    Got the 305 myself for the birthday, nice toy :)

Wouldn't panic about the distances, you are still doing great runs! :)

Its just under the 14k mark now I think? It was 12km and they added 1.9km. Still a dog of a run first off. Will be trying to avg that out at 6min per km. But God knows how close I will get to that. :D

Next weekened i will put up a post and IF you want to, put up your starting time (bus leaving time), if you want your number and maybe try a guestimate on your finishing time :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm in the 8 a.m. wave, so I'll put up my number and a guess at a finishing time next weekend.

@youngatheart- i completely agree with you about the trail shoes. I cant imagine doing CP in asics, ouch! The right trail shoes shouldnt be a problem to road run in either.

@peterx- i guess youre right about the crisps- replace lost salt etc- as long as it's followed by some protein for repair and gallons of water, not beer like i did last yr!

I cant wait to get out there. Really, i'm so excited!

I know the west of ireland weather is notoriously changeable and that's it's too soon to look at 4casts, but in the past i've found this website good. rain 4cast for 21 aug.
    http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast3.asp?partner=accuweather&locCode=EUR%7CIE%7CEI016%7CWESTPORT&metric=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

i reckon you're using the wrong trail shoes so. Mine (salomon) are just like asics just with better grips on the soles- that's all you need really. They have slightly more support on the foot, but not so much that you'd get shin splints or anything.

I think you're right. I've got INOV8's brilliant grip but zero cushioning so they're really bad on the flat. I've got the buyers remorse now.:(

Anyone doing the Hellfire Duathlon tonight? Should we be going flat out as a final tough training run or taking it fairly handy and saving our legs for GF. Personally I'm going to run hard and take it a bit easier on the bike.

Rinker wrote: »
    i reckon you're using the wrong trail shoes so. Mine (salomon) are just like asics just with better grips on the soles- that's all you need really. They have slightly more support on the foot, but not so much that you'd get shin splints or anything.

I think you're right. I've got INOV8's brilliant grip but zero cushioning so they're really bad on the flat. I've got the buyers remorse now.:(

Anyone doing the Hellfire Duathlon tonight? Should we be going flat out as a final tough training run or taking it fairly handy and saving our legs for GF. Personally I'm going to run hard and take it a bit easier on the bike.

ah, buyers remorse, i'm aware of that one! i bought a great pair of salomon cycling shorts (well i thought thats what they were), turns out theyre not suitable for cycling at all really, more for running.. took them for a spin last nite and came home in bits. will need a pair of undershorts and a good gel saddle. Never occured to me that they wouldnt be suitable for cycling, but sure we live and learn, and i'll use them anyway for running.. bloody great compression in them, all muscle stiffness i had dissipated the minute i put them on

I've signed up for hellfire but not sure i'll get out due to work commitments, so if any female wants my reg fire away. would love to do it looks great. will get out for a long brick session one way or the other. have to get out of the house between 7 and 9, i live in lansdowne and it's going to be chaos with the argy match tonite, perfect oppportunity for 2 hours training before the final whistle! thinking of a 10km run followed by 20km cycle. hellfire will be lovely on a nite like tonite.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 eoinken

Totally depressed after reading the trainig schedules of others. I have done twice but still find myself with a week to go and very little training done.
    Just wondering if anyone is getting the train to Westport on the Friday and if Irish Rail are accomdating bikes. I might have someone who will drive me to the registration point.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 eoinken

Just found the section on irishrail. 68 euro and no guarantee they will let you take bike on. I have a lift back from the event as training partner is going earlier in the day so would prefer not to drive two cars back.
    Anyone hiring a bus up or any other ideas on getting there. Could not see in earlier posts so apologies if covered already. Appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I (stupidly) ran for about 4km in glendalough in hiking boots before (long story as to why!!)- dont try that at home- shin splints for about 3 weeks afterwards

I'm ready for you, gaelforce. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must be using the wrong trail shoes too! They are Nike, fantastic on trails and CP but terrible on the road. I have decided to wear another pair of nikes that have really good grips but are still suitable for the road. It would be a disaster to get shinsplints on first leg of route.

darabbit wrote: »
    I must be using the wrong trail shoes too! They are Nike, fantastic on trails and CP but terrible on the road. I have decided to wear another pair of nikes that have really good grips but are still suitable for the road. It would be a disaster to get shinsplints on first leg of route.

You probably wouldnt get the shinsplints til after the fact though? If they're giving you shinsplints there just isnt enough give in them.. hard to know what the right thing to do is. i'd say try a bit of offroad in the 2nd nikes and see if youre happy with the grip then go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

eoinken wrote: »
    Totally depressed after reading the trainig schedules of others. I have done twice but still find myself with a week to go and very little training done.

I thought I had prepared reasonably ok for this until I seen this recommended schedule last night on the GF website :
    I know it is only a recommendation but still I now have doubts now -15-20hrs training weekly:eek:

Training
    The training is relatively simple, get out for long spins and runs as often as possible; ideally a 4 hour road bike spin on Saturday and a 2 hour run on Sunday with shorter sessions during the week.

Running Training

Part 2 - Running training.

It's hard to advise exactly what you should be doing but in general terms you should be running at a low intensity for 5~10 hours per week, at a moderate intensity for 2~4 hours per week and also fit in one speed session and one hill session per week.

• Advertisement

that was posted here about 6 weeks ago as well TMB.. bit late now to do anything about it!

if it's any consolation i've only been doing about 5 hrs pw.. that's all i did last yr too (less even) and it's grand, provided you're not in it to WIN it or anything

best course of action between now and aug 21 is 2 (max 3) pretty savage brick sessions of about 3 hours each, then lots of rest and water. IMO.

That training manual was put together by peter o'farrell, so aimed at people finishing sub 4 hours! i'll be thrilled if i finish sub 6. did it in 6.20 last yr, and even though i'm fitter this yr and have a proper bike, the extra bits of the course are llikely to add 20 mins. so my target is 5.45.

why dont we all make guesstimates and see on aug 22 how right we were??!

Wonkagirl: 5' 45

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I wouldn't be trying to "cram" big training sessions in now in the short thats left, you should be tapering down and resting most of next week.

Lots of sleep, and keep hydrated.

Big training sessions up to a few days before the race are more likely to have a negative impact on your performance on the day, you get get injured or just be tired for the day. Thats just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

why dont we all make guesstimates and see on aug 22 how right we were??!

Right so, here goes............sub 6 hr!:)

CKWPORT wrote: »
    I wouldn't be trying to "cram" big training sessions in now in the short thats left, you should be tapering down and resting most of next week.

Lots of sleep, and keep hydrated.

Big training sessions up to a few days before the race are more likely to have a negative impact on your performance on the day, you get get injured or just be tired for the day. Thats just my opinion though.

Oh i'll be doing nothing at all for 4 full days before the event, but i'm doing a big session tonite, and a big session friday morning.. gonna do a 5km run monday evening and that's it then

friday- wedding in cork
    sat- hen in athlone
    next tues- entertaining clients

that's good hydration/rest prep! NOT:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

rebelreded wrote: »
    Right so, here goes............sub 6 hr!:)

I'll go for sub 6 too. Although I have no idea ... how long will CP take ? 1.5 hrs ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I aim for a sub 6 now also. It was 7 last year but touch wood no cramps and no punctures!!! :)

Planned a 20km/10km brick session tonite- here's how it went.

Left office in ballsbridge at 8pm; headed off in to the sunset, long climb up into dundrum... 5 mins into the spin- big dirty BLOW OUT on my GATORSKINS.. had to walk 10km home bike in hand (yes, no tubes, no pump)...

Deposited bike home (amidst irl argy crowds), attemped a run- but because i'd stopped in a shop on the way home walking iwth the bike to buy a bag of jelly snakes to keep me from cyring, i got a STITCH when i tried to run..

so- 3km cycled, 1km run.

DISASTER!

:mad:

the tyres only have about 150km on them, and i was cycling on clean roads.. what feckin' chance have i on the skelp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The puncture was bad luck. Were the tyres pumped up fully? Could have been a pinch puncture.

Not having a tube/repair kit and pump was bad judgement. I have my pump attached to the same screws that hold my drinks cage. And have a tube and a repair kit in my saddle bag. And that's just out for a training cycle. I'll have 3 tubes with me on GFW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Planned a 20km/10km brick session tonite- here's how it went.

Left office in ballsbridge at 8pm; headed off in to the sunset, long climb up into dundrum... 5 mins into the spin- big dirty BLOW OUT on my GATORSKINS.. had to walk 10km home bike in hand (yes, no tubes, no pump)...

Deposited bike home (amidst irl argy crowds), attemped a run- but because i'd stopped in a shop on the way home walking iwth the bike to buy a bag of jelly snakes to keep me from cyring, i got a STITCH when i tried to run..

so- 3km cycled, 1km run.

DISASTER!

:mad:

the tyres only have about 150km on them, and i was cycling on clean roads.. what feckin' chance have i on the skelp!

That sucks !!
    Had a dose myself this evening.
    Went out for a run after ten days break to let the foot heal, and now seem to have buggered my back !!
    No injuries all year and now suddenly i'm injury prone !!
    But dammit, I'll crawl around the course if I have to :D

Advertisement