Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

Hi,

I have been training away for Gaelforce for the doing the runs ( 4/5days a week runs up to 8 miles) and hiking and only got a lean of my mates bikes three weeks ago. Since then I has been doing a few cycles ones up to 40 miles.

The cycling is concerning me. The most of the cycling is on flat ground but i have done a few hills ie hills around howth.

The bike i am using is a road bike (Giant model/make), the one with the "skinny" tyres.

I cant change the bike. But my question is "is this bike a good option ?" (please say it is!!!)

I have checked on my Garmin and the highest climb I have done is about 500ft. How high do we have to climb on the bike in Gaelforce ?

And is the vast amount of cycling done on off road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    me neither- that's sunday's job! i wasnt going to bother, but for peace of mind it's crucial. we'd be mentalists to not learn and then do the course with a road bike, it's just stoopid.

thank GOD for youtube..!

I know right!!
    This will be my 5th adventure race and i've done a few tri's and duathlons so it really is time to learn i think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Greenplain- yes that bike is a good option

PROVIDED you have tubes and can change them...

about 4km is offroad (is that right CKW i keep losin track!) so youre better chosing a bike for the majority, which is roads

as for the hillls- look, feck all you can do about it now. you've done some hills, ul be grand. you'll get around the course, just try and enjoy it. there's one steep focker of a hill but nothing that'll kill you

the running and hiking will really stand to you. i havent climbed a mountain since slieve donard last may. ah well, not much i can do now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

For those worried about punctures, and not used to fixing one, have a tube ready and a co2 cartridge ready (and worst case a repair kit). If you get a puncture, at least with the 1st just swap the tube, fill with your co2 and you'll be back up and running in no time.
    Fingers crossed you won't get more than 1! No point losing loads of time trying to fix it.
    (Just check the inside of the tyre before you put in a new tube, or old one for that matter)

Thanks!

Excuse my ignorance but what are we checking inside the tyre for??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Thanks!

Whatever caused the puncture in the first place:D

Okay I feel REALLY stupid now!!
    I will be studying Youtube all evening!!

Thanks for all the helpful tips!!

Thanks!

Just checking for what caused the puncture, in case it's still there (Mind your hands!)
    Could be a thorn, glass or whatever. If there was something and you didn't remove it you'll be flat again in 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Okay I feel REALLY stupid now!!
    I will be studying Youtube all evening!!

Thanks for all the helpful tips!!

i'm as bad.. had to walk 5miles home bike in hand last nite. lesson learned!

lots of practice required methinks.

Hi

Just wondering which is the best way to get to Westport fro Dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Training not going great this week. Ive a dose of a headcold and the thoughts of putting runners on is making it worse. Hopefully its a day or two and then gone.

Any advice on how to minimise the effects for next weekend? I suppose pumping myself with water to avoid dehydration is the first priority. I'll hit the wholewheat manky brown pasta from Monday :)

On the walking poles subject again, is anyone else using them for CP or are they not worth the hassle of the extra weight on the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

Trotter wrote: »
    Training not going great this week. Ive a dose of a headcold and the thoughts of putting runners on is making it worse. Hopefully its a day or two and then gone.

Any advice on how to minimise the effects for next weekend? I suppose pumping myself with water to avoid dehydration is the first priority. I'll hit the wholewheat manky brown pasta from Monday :)

On the walking poles subject again, is anyone else using them for CP or are they not worth the hassle of the extra weight on the bike?

Me too, been smothering since Hellfire, wanna train but don't want to make myself worse:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

You wouldn't want to rely on a forecast this early obviously, but for what it's worth both the below services are calling for mild temps (16-17 deg), partly cloudy, possibly some showers, and a moderate breeze.

http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast2.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&locCode=EUR|IE|EI016|WESTPORT&metric=1

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/EIXX0056

So, basically standard August weather, I suppose it would only be news if it was different from this! What is notable is the call for the wind from the North rather than the prevailing SW wind. This would mean it would be against you for the bulk of the cycling, on the other hand it keeps humidity down a tad hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

pc11 wrote: »
    This would mean it would be against you for the bulk of the cycling, on the other hand it keeps humidity down a tad hopefully.

:( I can live with the humidity, I don't want no bloody headwind !
    Got out this morning for a 6k slow run to loosen up the legs after the Hellfire and had a nice hot bath afterwards, feel good now. I'll have another session in the morning and then I'll play it be ear from there, maybe a small jog early in the week and then that's it.

Off to stuff myself with bad food stuff now, mmmm, the thoughts of a good burger and onion rings has my tummy rumbling !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Trotter wrote: »

Me too, been smothering since Hellfire, wanna train but don't want to make myself worse:mad:

Get some Zinc with Vitamin C from a pharmacy. It's not a wonder cure but it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

greenplain wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering which is the best way to get to Westport fro Dublin ?

straight down the N4 I assume. Coming into longford town there's a sign for westport ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

As transfers are closed, does anyone know if I would have any problems taking someone else's reg? Will they look for ID or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

"On the walking poles subject again, is anyone else using them for CP or are they not worth the hassle of the extra weight on the bike?"

I am planning to bring an extendable walking pole. I have climbed CP acouple of times and find it takes the pressure off my back. The pole is dead light and can be attached to the bike. It's a personal thing really but I like to have one hand free for the way down. Inever tried it with two poles but would think that two would be too cumbersome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

watergal wrote: »
    straight down the N4 I assume. Coming into longford town there's a sign for westport ..

You'll be heading to Killary first won't you? Take the M6 off the M4 for Galway at Kinnegad. Head to Killary from there.

Google Map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

watergal wrote: »

At a guess, if you're heading straight for registration, which isn't in Westport, its in Killary, I'd go Dublin-Galway, then head towards Clifden, but turn off at Maam Cross and I reckon you'd get there quicker overall.

This route is actually the suggested one from Google Maps...

Dublin - Leenane
    Macros42 wrote: »
    You'll be heading to Killary first won't you? Take the M6 off the M4 for Galway at Kinnegad. Head to Killary from there.

Google Map

Snap :D

• Advertisement

thanks lad for that

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Hi All, you might be able to help me with my dilemma.

I am considering changing from my normal cycle shoes and cleats back to straps on my road-bike.

I am just worried that there might be too many occasions where I would have to clip-out of the pedals and would end up falling and injuring either myself or others.

What is the general opinion on this, especially from anyone that knows the course?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Toe Straps are a good choice for this event.
    There are now two sections where you may have to run with your bike (plus the run into the finish chute from the final bikerack) so roadbike shoes would not be ideal.
    The other main benefit of using straps is that you wear the same shoes the whole way through and save time in 3 transitions and have less weight on your back during the cycle.
    If you are a very strong cyclist and feel you will lose too much power using straps you could consider MTB SPD pedals and shoes which it is possible to run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Wreck wrote: »
    As transfers are closed, does anyone know if I would have any problems taking someone else's reg? Will they look for ID or anything like that?

Sorry to keep on this, but is there any mention of needing ID at registration in any of the correspondence? Don't want to sort everything out and turn up down there only to be told I can't run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Well guys,

Almost there!

Quick gear question, apologies if its already been asked 1,000,000 times, I'm at work and don't have time to go through all the posts.

I think I am 92% sorted on gear. I have a bike with saddle bag, speedo, 1 bottle (might add another), pump, spare tubes, tool kit.

I have runners and cycle shorts and a cycle top. My problem is I definately couldn't run in the cycle shorts. They are awful donkeys of yokes altogether, lovely on the saddle but out of the question for a run.
    What should I be looking for?

I was thinking of just doing the run in small marathon short type thingys and whipping them off for the cycle stage and on again for CP and off again for final cycle.

Is this a silly plan?

Also I'm at a loss as to what to bring for my torso in addition to the cycle top. I'm not awfully well versed on this type of clothing, so even if I visit an outdoor shop I don't know what to ask for!

Should I be looking for some sort of undergarment or a outer garment.

Does it need to be waterproof & thermal? Long/Short sleeve?

Should I wear it on the day over/under my cycle top or just keep it in my bag...Aaaagh I havn't got a clue..!!

Sorry, just a little frustrated. I want my gear to be the least of my worries on the day!

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

rebelreded wrote: »
    Hi All, you might be able to help me with my dilemma.

I am considering changing from my normal cycle shoes and cleats back to straps on my road-bike.

Thanks.

This is what I have done and I'm happy with this plan personally. You will have to get off the bike at some stage and run, and otherwise you need 2 pairs of shoes.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Well guys,

Almost there!

I was thinking of just doing the run in small marathon short type thingys and whipping them off for the cycle stage and on again for CP and off again for final cycle.

Is this a silly plan?

Thanks.

Try Tri shorts, less padding and designed for both running and cycling. Planning to get a pair over the weekend, most multisport stores should have them.

This is what I have done and I'm happy with this plan personally. You will have to get off the bike at some stage and run, and otherwise you need 2 pairs of shoes.

I'm doing the same, too much messing changing out of soggy trainers last year (in the muck of the transition area), and back after the cycle, plus having to carry said trainers on the cycle.

Toe clips and one pair of shoes, hopefully the right choice.

Just a tip for anyone with last minute purchases, I ordered some stuff off Cyclesuperstore.ie yesterday lunchtime and it was delivered today so can't beat that for service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

I'm doing the same, too much messing changing out of soggy trainers last year (in the muck of the transition area), and back after the cycle, plus having to carry said trainers on the cycle.

Toe clips and one pair of shoes, hopefully the right choice.
    Peterx wrote: »
    Toe Straps are a good choice for this event.
    There are now two sections where you may have to run with your bike (plus the run into the finish chute from the final bikerack) so roadbike shoes would not be ideal.
    The other main benefit of using straps is that you wear the same shoes the whole way through and save time in 3 transitions and have less weight on your back during the cycle.
    If you are a very strong cyclist and feel you will lose too much power using straps you could consider MTB SPD pedals and shoes which it is possible to run in.

Thanks guys, feel much better now.

I know that it is a personnal thing but I am new to this so all help and feedback is much appreciated.

I'll buy ye all a pint on Saturday week.......:D

Advertisement