Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

Cheers wonkagirl, I'll get the trail runners so, and see if i can borrow a road bike off someone.

with regard accommodation, which is the best placed to book ( i am sure there is only a few places left).

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

greenplain wrote: »
    Cheers wonkagirl, I'll get the trail runners so, and see if i can borrow a road bike off someone.

with regard accommodation, which is the best placed to book ( i am sure there is only a few places left).

jaysis ya, get booking something, we left it til july last yr and ended up in a B&B 10 miles out, was a right dose..

just book something in westport town.. we booked into harbour mill self catering appts, briliant location and great facilities, seriously doubt they have space left tho.. hotel westport might, bit of a rip off for what it is though.. loads of b&bs in the town too but DEFINITELy book something this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Try somewhere in or around Westport, as there will be buses bringing people to the start from there in the mornings, and the the race finishes there.

You will just have to drive to Killary and Delphi the day before to sign up and drop off the bike.

Most places in Westport will probably be booked out already for that weekend. I heard a while back that most places are booked out, but you will have to give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Trail shoes (salomon or similar cross trainers) would be better than asics. asics would be ****e on croagh patrick, and anyone i saw using asics last yr were skidding all over the place on the trail runs (which were really muddy)..

Asics do trail shoes too. I did CAC in Asics Trabucos and they were fine. Asics road shoes - just like any other road shoes - would be crap.

Macros42 wrote: »
    Asics do trail shoes too. I did CAC in Asics Trabucos and they were fine. Asics road shoes - just like any other road shoes - would be crap.

sorry- yeah- meant asics road runners would be useless.. i've heard the asics trail shoes are great alright- they're expensive tho arent they? am i right in saying 200?

i got my salomons in TK Maxx for €42- that place rocks my world:) They saw me through gael force, achill roar, connemara last wend, love them. they got covered in bog all 3 times, so i'd be allergic if i'd paid a lot for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

Thanks for all the tips. Just booked a B&B in Westport for the weekend.

On more question, where is the best place to get some trail runners (i'm based in Dublin). I will have a look in TK Maxx, but if that is fruitless any good shops or good websites ?

greenplain wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips. Just booked a B&B in Westport for the weekend.

On more question, where is the best place to get some trail runners (i'm based in Dublin). I will have a look in TK Maxx, but if that is fruitless any good shops or good websites ?

well the staff in great outdoors are great, very knowledgeable.. great selection too. i'd personally be loathe to pay big bucks for them tho when they're going to get covered in s h i t e! hopefully TK maxx (carrickimes one, dont bother with stephens gr) will see you right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Trail shoes (salomon or similar cross trainers) would be better than asics. asics would be ****e on croagh patrick, and anyone i saw using asics last yr were skidding all over the place on the trail runs (which were really muddy)..

I was planning on doing it in Asics too...somebody said somewhere that trail shoes aren't good because when wet gets in, it can't get out, as opposed to the light mesh in Asics that lets the moisture out fairly straight away with body heat.

Is there any truth to this? Or has anyone ever seen trail shoes that have mesh on them?

Cheers

Vitamin C wrote: »
    I was planning on doing it in Asics too...somebody said somewhere that trail shoes aren't good because when wet gets in, it can't get out, as opposed to the light mesh in Asics that lets the moisture out fairly straight away with body heat.

Is there any truth to this? Or has anyone ever seen trail shoes that have mesh on them?

Cheers

I have a pair of Salomon Trail shoes, and there is no difference between them and runners when they are wet.

The person that told you this might have been talking about waterproof trail shoes. Since in these races, you will be in water over your ankle and water will get into a waterproof shoe that way, it might not dry out when you run again as the shoe is waterproof and holding the water in.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

CKWPORT wrote: »
    I have a pair of Salomon Trail shoes, and there is no difference between them and runners when they are wet.

The person that told you this might have been talking about waterproof trail shoes. Since in these races, you will be in water over your ankle and water will get into a waterproof shoe that way, it might not dry out when you run again as the shoe is waterproof and holding the water in.

Ah right, thanks, sorry I'm completely new to running of any kind so haven't a clue really, I'll have to invest so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Cheers

Depends on the shoe, my trails have a mesh around the bottom to let the water run back out, they're Adidas. As CKWPORT says it's the water proof ones that will keep any water in that gets in.

sorry- yeah- meant asics road runners would be useless.. i've heard the asics trail shoes are great alright- they're expensive tho arent they? am i right in saying 200?

I got my Trabucos for 70 in Elverys.

Cheers

my saloman train shoes arent waterproof. REALLY wouldnt advise doing it in the waterproof ones, your feet would be knackered by the end of it!

the problem with road asics woudl be the grip- people were slipping all over the place last yr, and i noticed they were the ones wearing asics (road running asics)

the problem with road asics woudl be the grip- people were slipping all over the place last yr, and i noticed they were the ones wearing asics (road running asics)

I wore runners last year, and didn't think they were too bad to be honest, there was a bit of slipping when it came to the reek. I got trail shoes this year, and after training on the reek a few times in them, they are a lot better grip and support wise for terrain like that.

I wore runners last year, and didn't think they were too bad to be honest, there was a bit of slipping when it came to the reek. I got trail shoes this year, and after training on the reek a few times in them, they are a lot better grip and support wise for terrain like that.

the place where i saw most of the asics wearers slip was on the grassy knoll bit in the first part of the run- especially coming down it- people were skidding all over the place- but then i was in the last wave, and the place was like a ICE RINK by then! learnt my lesson on that front and i'm in a much earlier wave this time 'round

Oh forgot about that bit, I was slipping like mad there too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wore normal runners myself and it was slippy for sure. But I do think that people who were in the trail shoes also slipped as it was pure muck there.

If you are over/underpronated you will need to ensure that the trail shoes you buy "work" for your feet also.

yop wrote: »
    If you are over/underpronated you will need to ensure that the trail shoes you buy "work" for your feet also.

I don't think that's much of an issue with trail shoes as is it is with road shoes. The ground you're running over will be uneven anyway so your natural foot fall won't be an issue, with every step your foot will be at a different angle due to uneven ground, rocks etc. Whereas on the road your foot will be landing the same way for miles and hence the stability etc will be of more benefit.

It may be different now but most trail shoes have little support in that area anyway so it may be hard enough anyway to find trail shoes for say an over pronator etc.

Jip wrote: »
    It may be different now but most trail shoes have little support in that area anyway so it may be hard enough anyway to find trail shoes for say an over pronator etc.

Salomon XT Wings are fine for flat feet, I had to do a good bit of research (browsing the web) when buying a trail shoe as I suffer from shin splints now and again caused by my flatfeet/overpronating, and didn't want to end up with a pair that would aggravate my shins, those shoes are pretty good for support.

Where did you get them from and at what price ? I'm both flat footed and an over pronator so would look into upgrading. As I said my Adidas have little support but on rough terrain I don't suffer any issues compared to what I would if I ran on the road with the wrong shoes, but every little helps.

• Advertisement

I got them on wiggle.co.uk.

Worked out 15-20quid cheaper than buying here, not many places selling trail shoes where I am.

I got them in my size and they were extremely tight in the toe, so had to to a half size larger and they were sound. It was no problem returning them to wiggle for the larger pair.

If you are getting a pair, have a look at some reviews, and see what you think, probably best to try on and buy a pair locally, instead of doing what I did, I could have ended up with a pair too small just buying them online.

Same place I got my Adidas, online reviews also mentioned that you'd need to go a half size bigger. I'll take a look around as they're not appearing on the Great Outdoors or Amphibian King sites. I see there's 2 types there, the SS09 and AW09, you wouldn't happen to know the difference would you, the description for both seem identical.

Edit: Never mind that last question, it's been answered in the Q&A, one is the Spring/Summer 09 model, the other is Autumn/Winter 09. Hows does €80 compare to what you paid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Exposure Sports do the Salomon range and other brands - they are based in Castlebar.
    http://www.exposure-sports.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=8

I'm thinking of getting the Speed Cross 2, have tried them for size in another more expensive un-named shop, so pretty sure of the correct size.

Gonna look into the postage cost to see if its cheaper to drive there from Galway & get them in person.

my saloman train shoes arent waterproof. REALLY wouldnt advise doing it in the waterproof ones, your feet would be knackered by the end of it

+1. No GoreTex for me. I want water to be able to get out too. If there's bog running or a stream water will get in from the top anyway - and it's stuck there unless you stop to pour it out.

Jip wrote: »

Edit: Never mind that last question, it's been answered in the Q&A, one is the Spring/Summer 09 model, the other is Autumn/Winter 09. Hows does €80 compare to what you paid ?

I got the AW09 ones at the start of the year, they have come down in price since, I paid 90.

Just talking about the road route to and from the mountain, anyone doing GF for the first time take care when you are coming back from the mountain.
    There is an off road section the runs beside the mountain which was the off road part last year, just after this you come out onto a even surface road that is very steep down hill, this is the part you need to be careful on.

The road itself is even and nice to ride on but there is a grass verge in the middle of the road that when crossing over in the wet can be deadly at speed. Its very steep on the bike and people tend to belt down it cause they can smell the finish line, and when you've got people who are absolutely wrecked after climbing the mountain (I was) you could hurt yourself badly if you came off.

[quote=[Deleted User];65946866]Just talking about the road route to and from the mountain, anyone doing GF for the first time take care when you are coming back from the mountain.
    There is an off road section the runs beside the mountain which was the off road part last year, just after this you come out onto a even surface road that is very steep down hill, this is the part you need to be careful on.

The road itself is even and nice to ride on but there is a grass verge in the middle of the road that when crossing over in the wet can be deadly at speed. Its very steep on the bike and people tend to belt down it cause they can smell the finish line, and when you've got people who are absolutely wrecked after climbing the mountain (I was) you could hurt yourself badly if you came off.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.. happened to a girl i know, she was going too fast to take the corner (was well on track to be in the top 10 ladies too) and ended up in Castlebar general..

Descending CP as well is tricky with the tired legs- a miracle that more ankles werent sprained really.. you get very tempted to pelt it down to make up easy time.. I didnt go down the path, but took the 'crow flies' grassy route (from where possible)- at least that way if i slipped (my legs were like jelly so i did a few times) i was only slipping onto grass and heather..

christ, did i really sign up for this again:D
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I got the AW09 ones at the start of the year, they have come down in price since, I paid 90.

Cheers. I now see the XT Wings 2 have just come onto the market for €115. What are you doing to me, was entirely happy with my current pair and then you tempt me with these :p

Was only reading about them yesterday in the Outsider magazine

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/8518872f#/8518872f/53

Yea i went up that way and was so tired coming back i came back by the path. Was definitely the hardest part of the race for me.

I think the only preparation for this race should mainly be mountain running, ive been doing a lot lately until my hamstring went last week, hope its not for long.

Cant wait for it though, really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

[quote=[Deleted User];65947444]Yea i went up that way and was so tired coming back i came back by the path. Was definitely the hardest part of the race for me.

I think the only preparation for this race should mainly be mountain running, ive been doing a lot lately until my hamstring went last week, hope its not for long.

Cant wait for it though, really looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

i'm starting to think you're right about the mountain running alright.. did you join IMRA or are you doing it yourself? Is anyone a member of IMRA?

I cant wait either, much and all as I complain! Going to go bike shopping this weekend, no way am i doing it on a hybrid again this yr, dont care if i've to walk the offroad bits.. got so sick of people on racers speeding past me last yr and i was going full throttle- such a waste of energy

hope the hamstring heals quickly!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement