Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugatu

Been following the thread for weeks now and thanks to everyone for all the info.

Managed to roll my ankle last night and am limping with a hell of a swell on my foot today. Would be completely gutted if this knocks me out for next week.

Any tips beyond, ice, rest and compression?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ice
    Compress
    Elevate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Wreck wrote: »
    Sorry to keep on this, but is there any mention of needing ID at registration in any of the correspondence? Don't want to sort everything out and turn up down there only to be told I can't run!

No ID was needed last year and I've yet to see any event, be it Gaelforce or the Dublin Marathon, ask for ID when signing in.

Of course, there's a risk but if it was me, I'd go for it.

Some people advise against doing it on the basis that if anything happens to you, they'll have the wrong contact details for you.

But E100 entry and no transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Mugatu wrote: »
    Been following the thread for weeks now and thanks to everyone for all the info.

Managed to roll my ankle last night and am limping with a hell of a swell on my foot today. Would be completely gutted if this knocks me out for next week.

Any tips beyond, ice, rest and compression?
    A trip to Knock on the way to Westport.
    Unlucky Pal.
    I'm out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugatu

Jmcmen wrote: »
    A trip to Knock on the way to Westport.
    Unlucky Pal.
    I'm out too.

Still hoping I'm in to be honest. Typical that this would happen so close to the finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

Mugatu wrote: »
    Still hoping I'm in to be honest. Typical that this would happen so close to the finish.

rest until the day itself, even if it feels better, give it a few days after that to heal completely..

I got a call from the hotel I'm staying in. They're calling everyone booked in next weekend to reconfirm the booking as there loads of people looking for accomodation and westport is full up. The girl seemed to know all about what was going on. When she asked me what time I'd be down at I said around 4 and her reply was - yes you've to go to Killary and register and then drop your bike off before coming to Westport ! so they seem to have it sussed. The hotel is doing an early breakfast too on Sat morn and a carb dinner on Fri evening, so they seem to be organised for it.

Roll on Sat !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Peterx wrote: »
    If you are a very strong cyclist and feel you will lose too much power using straps you could consider MTB SPD pedals and shoes which it is possible to run in.

These would be expensive would they Peterx? Is this them?
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=122&idproduct=4255

I have these cleats, not sure if they would fit or if them pedals there would work with the shoes at all and these cleats?
    http://marreybikes.com/shop/look-easy-3995-p-223.html

I presume you can just flick the pedal over to the grippy side and pedal away using the cycling shoes?

Is there a "2 sided pedal"? for cleats with toe straps? Hardly is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

watergal wrote: »
    rest until the day itself, even if it feels better, give it a few days after that to heal completely..

I got a call from the hotel I'm staying in. They're calling everyone booked in next weekend to reconfirm the booking as there loads of people looking for accomodation and westport is full up. The girl seemed to know all about what was going on. When she asked me what time I'd be down at I said around 4 and her reply was - yes you've to go to Killary and register and then drop your bike off before coming to Westport ! so they seem to have it sussed. The hotel is doing an early breakfast too on Sat morn and a carb dinner on Fri evening, so they seem to be organised for it.

Roll on Sat !

The castlecourt rang me too, I told them to keep the bar open late on Sat nite cos I'm gonna drink Westport dry!!!

1 week to go, can't wait:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

rebelreded wrote: »
    Thanks guys, feel much better now.

I know that it is a personnal thing but I am new to this so all help and feedback is much appreciated.

I'll buy ye all a pint on Saturday week.......:D

Have cycled the off road bits so I an defo on the toe clips -- Can I have a pint too ~(cheap here at €4 each) :D

W123-80's wrote: »
    I have runners and cycle shorts and a cycle top. My problem is I definately couldn't run in the cycle shorts. They are awful donkeys of yokes altogether, lovely on the saddle but out of the question for a run.
    What should I be looking for?

I was thinking of just doing the run in small marathon short type thingys and whipping them off for the cycle stage and on again for CP and off again for final cycle

For what its worth W123 my plan is as follows :
    Cycle top with no baselayer (dependant on weather) if wet and cold a short sleeved base layer, starting in a running jacket as I am in the 2nd wave so it will be cold, wearing Zoot tri shorts, Hilly running socks, and Mizuno trail runners . Taking shoes and clips off the bike and using toe clips with pedals. Glasses and helmets on the bike and cycle gloves(handy on the reek).
    Bringing carb based enery drink in camelbak , 2 bottles on bike , 1 carb based, 1 electrolyte base (Nuuns/Dioralyte), 1-2 energy bars and gels in cycle top pockets.
    Would also recommend that you dont over look the bike -Check the chain tyres and breaks - might be worth a service.
    Usual bike essentials in the saddle bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Dont forget you have to bring a waterproof top as part of the mandatory kit!!!

They said they will be checking mandatory kit getting on the buses in Westport. I dont know if this is true but it would really suck if you were made miss the bus for forgetting this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Anyone wearing a trisuit? Or are separates better? I'm thinking in a long race that the likelihood of a toilet stop is a good bit higher?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

Hi all, I've been trying to work out a race average pace for next week. Is 5min 45 sec average per kilometre realistic for the 1st run section (14.4K?)? I've seen nothing about the 2nd run stage - 3.5K; what's the terrain like? Is there much climbing/uphill in it? If I averaged 5.45 on the first section, what would be a realistic time for the 2nd run section?

Also, the 1st cycle: ckwport, you did it in about 1hr 25min recently - is that right? Is it about 36k? On decent roads from Celbridge to Ballinascorney in the foothills of the Dublin mountains, I can do about an hour for 23K. It's mostly uphill, though gradually so. Would that pace be realistic on the 1st cycle section? I saw there was one fairly steep climb on your Garmin readout, but the rest looked ok. The surface seems to be the main problem - how does that affect the pace?

Finally, is 10min reasonable for the kayak bit? I'm a fairly experienced canoeist, but I presume a lot depends on who ends up in the boat with you?

Depending on the answers I get to the above, I'm going to take a stab at working out a target time - probably real egg on my face territory, but what the hell!

I'm staying in the Castlecourt too, and they rang me as well. I hope I meet up with some of you boardsies! :)

Hi all, I've been trying to work out a race average pace for next week. Is 5min 45 sec average per kilometre realistic for the 1st run section (14.4K?)? I've seen nothing about the 2nd run stage - 3.5K; what's the terrain like? Is there much climbing/uphill in it? If I averaged 5.45 on the first section, what would be a realistic time for the 2nd run section?

Also, the 1st cycle: ckwport, you did it in about 1hr 25min recently - is that right? Is it about 36k? On decent roads from Celbridge to Ballinascorney in the foothills of the Dublin mountains, I can do about an hour for 23K. It's mostly uphill, though gradually so. Would that pace be realistic on the 1st cycle section? I saw there was one fairly steep climb on your Garmin readout, but the rest looked ok. The surface seems to be the main problem - how does that affect the pace?

Finally, is 10min reasonable for the kayak bit? I'm a fairly experienced canoeist, but I presume a lot depends on who ends up in the boat with you?

Depending on the answers I get to the above, I'm going to take a stab at working out a target time - probably real egg on my face territory, but what the hell!

I'm staying in the Castlecourt too, and they rang me as well. I hope I meet up with some of you boardsies! :)

I suppose pace is a personal thing. What's your normal pace for a 16km run?

I'm probably going to knock off 15 per km seconds off the pace I can normally run 14kms. No clue if this is a good idea.

The second run stage is partly through boggy land and is a bit of a drag on the legs at first. It then opens on to the road which you can run handy enough.

If you're an experienced canoeist, you'll fly the kayak section. Ten minutes sounds about right.

No idea re cycle pace. My pace is just to keep the pedals turning over!

Last year's results, http://www.gaelforceevents.com/upload/articles/GFW_2009_results.pdf, might give you an idea of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Yes, did it recently in 1.25 obviously I will be slower than that on the day with 18km of running done at that stage. So very hard to estimate a time for this section.

The whole route is gradually uphill alrite, but you don't really notice it bar the 2 main climbs in it, 1 about 10k into it, and the other is the climb to the reek base, which is an mostly rough terrain, about 6km of it, takes me about 25mins to climb it, very slow, as its rough and you have to watch not to hit anything that might puncture you.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I'm probably going to knock off 15 per km seconds off the pace I can normally run 14kms. No clue if this is a good idea.

15secs per KM sounds a lot to push for but as you said its a personal thing , if your comfortable with it , go for it , if this is on the edge of your ability I would hold off until 5-6km into the run before you ramp it up, save a bit as there is a long way to go after that.
    I will be looking at my 10m race time time + 20/30 sec's per mile due to the off road nature of it as a guide, will push the last 5km to about 5k pace but need to be sure I have something left for the bog run and cycle.

15secs per KM sounds a lot to push for but as you said its a personal thing , if your comfortable with it , go for it , if this is on the edge of your ability I would hold off until 5-6km into the run before you ramp it up, save a bit as there is a long way to go after that.
    I will be looking at my 10m race time time + 20/30 sec's per mile due to the off road nature of it as a guide, will push the last 5km to about 5k pace but need to be sure I have something left for the bog run and cycle.

Bugger. What I meant to say I'll be ADDING on 15 seconds per km! Similar to yourself. Looking at my 10 mile/16km time and I'll add 15 seconds on per km.

The castlecourt rang me too, I told them to keep the bar open late on Sat nite cos I'm gonna drink Westport dry!!!

1 week to go, can't wait:D:D:D

Not if I do first !! The castlecourt bar will be empty .!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Hello all GFW heads,
    Just a some info an the cycle route from an ordinary participant:
    Delphi to Doolough is fine, 2.5km with no high climbs, good time for hydration/eating especially if the wind is South. A west wind is advantageous for the 6km valley ahead as you need energy for Barnadearg (or sheeffry as it is often referred). This 2km uphill section rises from 70m ASL to 200m ASL. This may not seem long but it is a tough gruelling climb in which when you think your at the top, your only half way.
    Wipe your sweaty brow, check your brakes, fasten down everything as you are coming to a very steep 1.6 km downhill which comes on you very quick. Carefull on the tight corners, potholes and loose gravel. From there to Drummin village 3km is mostly downhill, so time for more hydration/eating, keep the eating to a minimal from here though as you are coming close to the Reek. Drummin to Liscarney 7.7km is a series of up and downhills, nice downhill just before the crossroads. Liscarney to Owenwee turn off 1.6km is all flat. A gradual uphill commences after 2km from the turn off to Owenwee. This 6.4km of bog track takes you to the 240m ASL - base of the reek, with very little downhill.
    Once you climb the reek and return the hardest part of the race is over. A good 2km downhill after the reek gives you good progress but watch for the hard left going on to the western way. There is a steady climb for 1.4 km through this track but take care on the last 1km of downhill where there is a lot of loose slate and bog. Back on tar then on a downhill section of over 2km. Corners are tricky especially when your building speed. Roads are often damp here in the driest of weather. Homeward bound for 3.5km then which is an easy cycle along the main road.
    Wishing you all a good and safe GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Low Tide 0935hrs on the 21st, High water at 1555hrs means the tide will be flowing into the harbour which suits the kayak route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Alas, after 7 months training & being in the best condition of my life (possibly) I have to bow out of GF at this late stage. Heartbroken:( but the health of my newborn takes precedence as you can imagine)

I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable day next week. I'll surely be restless all next Saturday, thinking of where I would be on the course at any given time & I'm sure I'll be riveted to the results even though I'm not listed this year.

Again good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but it's a long thread...

Do people have theories on the quickest route up croagh Patrick? 2 years everybody took the trail that goes off to the right then turns back in where as last year a lot of people went cross country straight up the face of it. The latter is obviously the shortest route but it's far steeper. I couldn't resist going straight up but found it very very tough going.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated come 10am next Saturday!

Hello all GFW heads,
    Just a some info an the cycle route from an ordinary participant:
    Delphi to Doolough is fine, 2.5km with no high climbs, good time for hydration/eating especially if the wind is South. A west wind is advantageous for the 6km valley ahead as you need energy for Barnadearg (or sheeffry as it is often referred). This 2km uphill section rises from 70m ASL to 200m ASL. This may not seem long but it is a tough gruelling climb in which when you think your at the top, your only half way.
    Wipe your sweaty brow, check your brakes, fasten down everything as you are coming to a very steep 1.6 km downhill which comes on you very quick. Carefull on the tight corners, potholes and loose gravel. From there to Drummin village 3km is mostly downhill, so time for more hydration/eating, keep the eating to a minimal from here though as you are coming close to the Reek. Drummin to Liscarney 7.7km is a series of up and downhills, nice downhill just before the crossroads. Liscarney to Owenwee turn off 1.6km is all flat. A gradual uphill commences after 2km from the turn off to Owenwee. This 6.4km of bog track takes you to the 240m ASL - base of the reek, with very little downhill.
    Once you climb the reek and return the hardest part of the race is over. A good 2km downhill after the reek gives you good progress but watch for the hard left going on to the western way. There is a steady climb for 1.4 km through this track but take care on the last 1km of downhill where there is a lot of loose slate and bog. Back on tar then on a downhill section of over 2km. Corners are tricky especially when your building speed. Roads are often damp here in the driest of weather. Homeward bound for 3.5km then which is an easy cycle along the main road.
    Wishing you all a good and safe GF.

Thanks very much, good information for the non-locals and people like me who don't have a clue what's ahead of them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hey all,

Im starting to get a bit on the nervous side here. I've had a dose of a headcold for the last week and Im still going on half power. I haven't trained in almost a week.

At this point I know I can run 14k, and I know I can cycle 55-60km. I havent done both together yet!

Should I just get out and run 3 or 4k even though Im not feeling too hot, or just take another day or two of drinking buckets of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Trotter wrote: »
    Hey all,

Im starting to get a bit on the nervous side here. I've had a dose of a headcold for the last week and Im still going on half power. I haven't trained in almost a week.

At this point I know I can run 14k, and I know I can cycle 55-60km. I havent done both together yet!

Should I just get out and run 3 or 4k even though Im not feeling too hot, or just take another day or two of drinking buckets of water?

I'd be inclined to leave it a few days until you feel better. You're not going to add much to your race-day ability at this stage. The only thing I would advise is to go for a short run maybe midweek if you feel better, just to keep those lungs open! Best of luck on Saturday.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but it's a long thread...

Do people have theories on the quickest route up croagh Patrick? 2 years everybody took the trail that goes off to the right then turns back in where as last year a lot of people went cross country straight up the face of it. The latter is obviously the shortest route but it's far steeper. I couldn't resist going straight up but found it very very tough going.

QUOTE]

i think the zig zag path will be order of the day for all but the experienced hill runners , there was talk originally of the path been compulsory which might not be any harm any way but would get congested particularly later in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Arjan

Helloooo fellow competitors!!
    5 days to go and I have yet to sort out my entire gear! I know it's awful, we've left it way too late.
    Is there any website/shop in Dublin that sells the whole mandatory kit in one package?
    What kinda food / drink are yee all bringing along? Some gel packs, bananas and isotonic drink?
    My set-up so far is: decent road bike with pedal straps, will get it serviced tomoro. Will bring a pump and a puncture repair kit (being Dutch fixing a tire is as natural as drinking guinness is to yee ;) ). Outfit wise I'll just wear my marathon outfit but plus a sleeveless base layer. Not sure about those small shorts for the cycling... then I've got a Camelbag backpack with a drink section. Will everyone run with a backpack? Or will we leave most things with the bike?

Ooofff so much to sort in 5 days. Nice one Arjan! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

I got the most insane vomiting bug yesterday...never been so sick in my life.

Such bad timing, although it could be worse, I could have got it next Friday.

Anyway, it's past now but I'm in fairly bad shape energy and strength wise.

Anybody have any quick fixes for getting my body sorted by Friday?

I've tried online but can't find much.

Please...any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

Im in the same boat, been dying since the hellfire duathlon last wednesday. It killed me looking out the window over the weekend seeing the lovely weather and I was stuck in bed:mad:!! Feels like ive a chest infection, what to do????

Hopefully ill get a couple of light runs in before friday:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Well not long to go now, cycling/Kayaking will be fine for me a little worried about the running though :p

Advertisement