Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PiggyWiggy

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    what wave are you in? everyone shoudl be finished by about 4pm this yr, more or less.. it's very early to start drinking when your body is so fooked.. i had 2 pints at the finishing line last yr, did no stretching, and ate a pack of crisps- my muscles were screaming at me the next day

i'm due to be finished at about 1pm, then i plan on stretching, eating, drinking water, soaking in the jacuzzi, getting ready and back for the prizegiving at 7 or so (to collect my prize NOT) and then lash into the gargle all nite long..

woo hoo!

I am in the 7.30 Jogger wave. You must be in the elite category if you're going to be finito by 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PiggyWiggy

Arjan wrote: »
    Helloooo fellow competitors!!
    5 days to go and I have yet to sort out my entire gear! I know it's awful, we've left it way too late.
    Is there any website/shop in Dublin that sells the whole mandatory kit in one package?
    What kinda food / drink are yee all bringing along? Some gel packs, bananas and isotonic drink?
    My set-up so far is: decent road bike with pedal straps, will get it serviced tomoro. Will bring a pump and a puncture repair kit (being Dutch fixing a tire is as natural as drinking guinness is to yee ;) ). Outfit wise I'll just wear my marathon outfit but plus a sleeveless base layer. Not sure about those small shorts for the cycling... then I've got a Camelbag backpack with a drink section. Will everyone run with a backpack? Or will we leave most things with the bike?

Ooofff so much to sort in 5 days. Nice one Arjan! :rolleyes:

I got most of my stuff in Regatta, pretty good prices too. I got a great set of waterproof boots that are good for running in too. For food I have sachets of carb gels, fig rolls and jaffa cakes. I am using a camelbak with a 2.5 litre reservoir. I don't believe in Lucozade sport or similar. I'll keep the backpack on for the climb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm in the 8:30 walkers. Here's an odd question though.. Are there people who walk all of the on foot parts of the course?

Take the ring of Kerry for example. You've everything from elites to young people on mountain bikes taking it easy. Is Gaelforce the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Trotter wrote: »
    I'm in the 8:30 walkers. Here's an odd question though.. Are there people who walk all of the on foot parts of the course?

Take the ring of Kerry for example. You've everything from elites to young people on mountain bikes taking it easy. Is Gaelforce the same?

Not too many I wouldn’t think, but if you look at last yrs results, there were some people that did it in 9, 10 , 11 hours, so I assume they were walkers..

The ‘waves’ tho are pretty much irrelevant to a degree, I was in 2nd last walkers wave last yr (as I registered late) and I didn’t see anyone walking really

PiggyWiggy wrote: »
    I am in the 7.30 Jogger wave. You must be in the elite category if you're going to be finito by 1?

i'm in the 6.30 wave which means starting at 8am.. i definitely aim to be over the line by 2 at the very latest- all going to plan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

PiggyWiggy wrote: »
    I'll keep the backpack on for the climb.

If your kit is in it you'll have to keep it on you from start to finish, going by the rules of course.

Regarding walkers, as Wonkagirl said, they're pretty much irrelevant, I'm in a walker wave as are a good few other people I know who would be far from walkers. All due to the earlier waves being full by the time of registration. Although the later wave does suit me somewhat as I like my sleep.

Looking at the weather forecast last night, they gave the summary right up to Friday, rain every day between now and then, possibly won't be much different on Saturday but then again it's changeable as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Was kinda worried about the kayak stage since I had never done any of this before but went out on the Blackwater in Fermoy yesterday morning and did a 6k paddle (3k upstream and back) and found it grand, really enjoyed it actually.

We used the 2 man sit-on kayaks that GFW use and they are really stable and comfortable.

Got a tip from an experienced kayaker (??). He suggested that the heavier person should take the back seat on the kayaks. We did this yesterday and it seemed to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Anyone in the 5.30 wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

rebelreded wrote: »
    Got a tip from an experienced kayaker (??).
    paddler :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Hope the weather isn't as hot yesterday. Was wrecked at the end of an easy run.

Regarding drinks.

What's the best to drink first when on the bike? Should you be getting electrolytes into you first or a carb based drink?

Or regular swigs of each drink?

I'd probs going to go with Nuuns and High Five 2 in 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Walking is looking like my only option now, can't shake my ITB problem at all. Going for a deep tissue sports massage today and going to see if it's possible to strap my leg and hike the thing. Cycling is strong but my knee won't even track correctly on the bike at the moment either!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

paddler :-)

That's the word I was looking for.......just shows my level of knowledge :D

Picked up a minor knee injury myself over the past few days. Rest, ice and difene now until the race and all will be well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What are people doing for breakfast? I just rang the Westport Woods where I'm staying and the woman I spoke to knew nothing about any early breakfast for competitors. :rolleyes:. Breakfast starts at 8am she told me and I told her that everyone will be gone by then. I'll just have to bring my own. Some muesli, croissants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Anyone in the 5.30 wave?

I'm in the 5:30 wave, along with another four from home/work. I'm booked into the B and B at the start line, so it should make for a slightly less horrendous alarm call. Still, I reckon if I'm to have a breakfast of bananas and porridge, a strong coffee, and the time needed for the digestive process to work ;), I would want to be getting up at four. I might as well go to bed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I have no accommodation. Anyone backing out of the event that has accommodation please let me know :)

Was looking into a camper from Galway but they appear booked out also. Don't want to camp really.

Sorted, thanks all who IM'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Sniipe wrote: »
    I have no accommodation. Anyone backing out of the event that has accommodation please let me know :)

Was looking into a camper from Galway but they appear booked out also. Don't want to camp really.

Did you try Castlebar? Not too far from Westport

Anyone know of anywhere good to stop for grub and a rest half way between Mullingar and Westport ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sniipe wrote: »

If Westport is totally sold out then this is about 4 miles from Westport

http://westportcountrylodge.com/booking.php?Arrival=2010%2F08%2F20&Nights=2&SearchBooking=Check+Availability&Departure=2010%2F08%2F22&p=1&hotel_id=874

**EDIT**
    129 for Fri and Sat night.

Not a clue what prices are like in the place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Anyone know of anywhere good to stop for grub and a rest half way between Mullingar and Westport ?

Is Strokestown 1/2 way? Percy French do a great feed. :)

AA is telling me it's only a third of the way ! Ballaghaderreen appears to me the most half way town.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    AA is telling me it's only a third of the way ! Ballaghaderreen appears to me the most half way town.

uumm, 1 horse town lol.

Not sure whats there in Ballaghdeeren, I know there is a good road out of the place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

Hi all,

Never posted on here before, and just want to concur with previous comments on how useful I've found the many previous posts.

I'm a first-timer and am wondering whether anyone knows where there are water re-fill stations. I'm presuming there is water at the kayak transition (as per the Connemara Challenge), but after that?? Similarily for toilets? Anyone know? Many thanks.

Hi all,

Never posted on here before, and just want to concur with previous comments on how useful I've found the many previous posts.

I'm a first-timer and am wondering whether anyone knows where there are water re-fill stations. I'm presuming there is water at the kayak transition (as per the Connemara Challenge), but after that?? Similarily for toilets? Anyone know? Many thanks.

Last year there were 2, at the kayak and Croagh Patrick

Toilets at start and kayak. Not sure if there were any at the Reek though, didn't see any, then again didn't see much!! :)

Macros42 wrote: »
    What are people doing for breakfast? I just rang the Westport Woods where I'm staying and the woman I spoke to knew nothing about any early breakfast for competitors. :rolleyes:. Breakfast starts at 8am she told me and I told her that everyone will be gone by then. I'll just have to bring my own. Some muesli, croissants etc.

Would you try a wholemeal bagel instead of a croissant? more slow releasing good carbs in the former..

i'll be having a wholemeal bagel with peanut butter, small bowl of porridge, a poached egg and a strong coffee.. has stood me well in the past, nice slow releasing carbs and some protein as well.

was on the almighty piss all weekend, wedding on fri and a hen sat., hardly good prep but its done now! plenty of rest, water and tube changing practice ahead for the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

Cheers Yop - trying to put together a food / water strategy. Tricky stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

hey just a question to clear this up!

I injured my back and havent been able to train for the past 3.5 weeks, but still dam determined to get this race done!

At my best I was up to a 10km jog on the beach and could have pushed it to 12. Is the run we are doing at the start now 14km, and then another 3.5 km run after the kyaks??? I doubt my jogging will last the 10km I was able to do let alone 14!!!!!!!

At least im in the walker category so I can walk without looking like too much of a tool:P

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    i'll be having a wholemeal bagel with peanut butter, small bowl of porridge, a poached egg and a strong coffee.. has stood me well in the past, nice slow releasing carbs and some protein as well.

Good idea that about the bagel, was going to have porridge only for brekkie but cud bring the bagel and have it before/on the bus. It will be up to 2 hours between breakfast and starting the run so that porridge cud be well burnt by the time we start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

thehamo wrote: »
    hey just a question to clear this up!

I injured my back and havent been able to train for the past 3.5 weeks, but still dam determined to get this race done!

At my best I was up to a 10km jog on the beach and could have pushed it to 12. Is the run we are doing at the start now 14km, and then another 3.5 km run after the kyaks??? I doubt my jogging will last the 10km I was able to do let alone 14!!!!!!!

At least im in the walker category so I can walk without looking like too much of a tool:P

Dont worry about it, just getting to the finish line is an achievement in itself:)

I myself am in the 5:30 wave and was hoping to complete the course in less than 4 hours 30min, an hour off my time last year when i compeated on a mountain bike.
    This year i have a good racing bike but i have only been able to run once in the last 6 weeks due to a knee injury and as a result i have to change my goals. My aim is now just to finish it and get to physio on monday. Ive been putting off physio til then as i know there is something seriously wrong with it and they will tell me not to compeat but after forking out 100 euro for entry and 200 for a hotel there is now way i am pulling out.

Best of luck with it:):)
    You'll prob catch me on the reek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Anyone in the 5.30 wave?

i am for my sins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Anyone know what we do with our bags while on the kayak?
    I presume we'll have to wear a buoyancy aid, so do we wear the backpack
    over/under it.
    Or is there webbing on the kayaks to secure them ?
    Or do we just put them between our knees and paddle on ?

Cheers.

Advertisement