Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Is the new section before CP really as bad as this and if so how long is it this bad for?[/QUOTE]

Drove it last friday morning after doing a recce on CP. It is bad in sections (as above) but you should be able to cycle most of it. Keep your shoes out of the straps and be ready to run short sections. Reckon this road will take about 20 mins to cross.

Did the first run last friday too. Arrived late on Thursday night and camped on the beach. Was not expecting to wake up in such a beautiful location. I really can't wait to get down there again. It'll be wet and mucky but the views are really breathtaking. When the nerves kick in I just try to picture all that there is to look forward to along the way.
    Good luck boardies. It's gonna be great:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

folks i know the bike transition in guarded ove rnight, but how safe will my shoes/pump/saddle bag be from other competitors...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Is the new section before CP really as bad as this and if so how long is it this bad for?

Sure that picture was taken on that road, so yes it is really that bad!
    That section is just the bottom of a downhill, so be on the brakes and ready for it. There is a short tarmac section, when that starts to descend, be ready for the section in the picture.

The road is 6km. and the tarmac section is only about 400m.
    Its is all doable on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

folks i know the bike transition in guarded ove rnight, but how safe will my shoes/pump/saddle bag be from other competitors...

very safe, in my opinion. i mean you can never legislate against 1 or 2 idiots who decide on the day that they like the look of something, but i didnt hear of any such incidents last yr. There's a certain spirit of comraderie that would prevail that should (in theory) prevent things like that happening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers Wonka, thats what i'd be hoping, i'm in one of the last waves so there'll be a lot of people around my bike before me.

A couple of questions though for the more experienced people, normally when i run i just bring water, should i be bringing a lucozade with me from the start of the run and then using the taps at the kayak to get some water in?

Also how soon should i start eating energy bars :pac:

• Advertisement

i'm repeating what's been said during this thread, so might be worth taking a look back... hydration drinks prevent cramping, as do nuun and diorylte tablets in your water.. Most people are putting Luco sport (or similar
    on their bike- I mix mine with water, purely because I don’t like how sweet it is.) I'll have 1.5 ltrs of water starting off, and wont carry more than that at any one time (even though it fits 3 lts). I'll go through the 750ml of luco/water mix on the bike leg, then start back into the camelbak on CP.. sip, dont gulp!

I’ll be having my first energy bar at the kayak stop- then a banana when I get on the bike- I’m going to start the gels as I commence the CP summit- as you ideally should be taking them every 30 mins once you start, or your blood sugars would crash. Therefore, I’m going to start them about 90 mins or so from the finish line.

Nutrition and hydration are discussed to death over this thread so worth your while trawling through

Thanks for the synopsis Wonka :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Thanks for the picture!

Don't think i'll be clipping into my pedals for that.....slow and steady I reckon!

Did aquathlon last night, and a short run tomorrow and then feet up until crack of dawn Saturday!!

Another question, is there anyone that will be getting dropped at the start line rather than getting the bus from Westport?

I'll be getting the bus!

I've seen a few people getting dropped off the past 2 years but the majority seem to get the bus!

• Advertisement

Cheers Fitz, i'll be coming from the Galway direction so its easier to get dropped, starting to get a little nervous.... :)

Edit: How many of you are doing it with friends? and do you plan to stay with them for the duration of the event?

No probs!

Don't worry about the nerves...every so often they hit me!!

I'm doing it on my own although I know a few people in my wave, I might stay with them for the run but not sure if we the same level as haven't been training together so will have to see on the day.

There are always people around you so you won't get lonely if you split from your friends!!
    Also you meet people of the same level and you could end up doing the whole race with them....that happened me the first year, still in contact!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have about 14 people I know in our wave, but as per last year you will end up getting split, even from the start line last year we got separated, of course you probably will see people ahead or behind but your as well to tap along on your own.

there are a few of our gang in the same wave, no way will we be staying together.. not a chance of it. i'll be faster in the run, then i'll be overtaken on the cycle, then our paths will cross again on the ascent/descent of CP.. that'll be it though. i'm sure some couples might run it together, but it's madness in my view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

www.marathontalk.com/archive/2010/4/6/episode-13-steve-way.html

I'd recommend people give this episode a listen. It was posted in ART earlier this week.

The lads talk about the dos and don'ts in the final week of a marathon but the same great advice applies to GF.

From packing to the fears that you haven't done enough to the itchy feet.

They also interview that b'stard steve way ;), who went from a fattie to running a sub 2 20 marathon in a couple of years. So might be an inspiration on the day as you haul ass up Croagh Patrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm having a listen to that now.

Anyone, bar the one poster a few back whose name I can't remember, doing anything this week ? I had intended on doing absolutely nothing but feel I should do something short, maybe tomorrow, to keep the legs loose ? The guys in that podcast may answer that question but I haven't got to that stage yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Apparently there was something about GFW on Ireland AM this morning. Did anyone hear it? Was there anything interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

After seeing the pictures of the new cycle section and weighing up all the advice i have decided to go with a mountain bike with slicks and suspension lockout for the cycle.

Last year i did the same and lost 20min in the first bike section to my friend of the same ability who was on a racer but made up 10 in the final offroad section.
    This year with the extra bog road section i reckon theres not much difference time wise between the two so ill go with the one least likely to puncture which is the mountain bike.

Peace of mind on the off road sections if nothing else.

Anyone with any more advice or comment please let me know cause im agonising over this.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm having a listen to that now.

Anyone, bar the one poster a few back whose name I can't remember, doing anything this week ? I had intended on doing absolutely nothing but feel I should do something short, maybe tomorrow, to keep the legs loose ? The guys in that podcast may answer that question but I haven't got to that stage yet.

Only resting this week, have a friendly soccer match tomorrow night but will be playing only 45 mins at most and at a very leisurely pace :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

That picture is only one section of the new route its not all like that.

I drove the route a few weeks ago and it was quite wet but actually cycled it on sunday and it's not too bad. Not sure i'll cycle that section photographed but that's only a small section. would advise a roadbike.

Plenty of potholes but you can avoid them

you'll die climbing the hills at 5 mile mark on a heavy MTB. i climbed a few weeks ago and it was v tough can only imagine what it would be like on a MTB

If looking to improve time go roadbike;)

After seeing the pictures of the new cycle section and weighing up all the advice i have decided to go with a mountain bike with slicks and suspension lockout for the cycle.

Last year i did the same and lost 20min in the first bike section to my friend of the same ability who was on a racer but made up 10 in the final offroad section.
    This year with the extra bog road section i reckon theres not much difference time wise between the two so ill go with the one least likely to puncture which is the mountain bike.

Peace of mind on the off road sections if nothing else.

Anyone with any more advice or comment please let me know cause im agonising over this.

• Advertisement

seanie500 wrote: »

I drove the route a few weeks ago and it was quite wet but actually cycled it on sunday and it's not too bad. Not sure i'll cycle that section photographed but that's only a small section. would advise a roadbike.

you'll die climbing the hills at 5 mile mark on a heavy MTB. i climbed a few weeks ago and it was v tough can only imagine what it would be like on a MTB

Cheers seanie:)

Just one question, How much of the road is a small section?500m i could handle but 2km would be pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I'm in for this, in the 7.00 jogger wave. Hoping to run it in about 6 hours.

Anyone have any advice on what to eat on the Friday? Is pasta the way to go?

For breakfast on the Saturday I think my choices will be pretty limited, going to go with museli and yoghurt, and then a banana on the bus.

Where can you buy survival blankets? I'm based in Dublin, so assuming that somewhere like the Great Outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Might be a little off topic but do any locals or previous competitors have suggestions as to where might be good viewpoints for spectators along the route?
    Obviously the finish line, and on the GaelForce website it suggests the Delphi changeover area, but are there any other areas along the way?

The website also suggests climbing partway up Croagh Patrick and seeing competitors on their way up/down (it says you cant’ view them from the carpark) but at over 5 months pregnant climbing some of the way up isn’t really an option!

sillysocks wrote: »
    Might be a little off topic but do any locals or previous competitors have suggestions as to where might be good viewpoints for spectators along the route?
    Obviously the finish line, and on the GaelForce website it suggests the Delphi changeover area, but are there any other areas along the way?

The website also suggests climbing partway up Croagh Patrick and seeing competitors on their way up/down (it says you cant’ view them from the carpark) but at over 5 months pregnant climbing some of the way up isn’t really an option!

From the top of the off road section cycle you can get a good view of the cyclists as they come down the road from CP and up the off road section. You'll also get to see the pain on our faces as we try and cycle this last hill as our legs beg us to stop:)

Its not a bad walk up the hill so you should manage it ok even with the extra load:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Cheers seanie:)

Just one question, How much of the road is a small section?500m i could handle but 2km would be pushing it.

If memory serves me correct that section photographed is for about 200 metres it's the first corner coming down a slight hill (maybe 2 k's in i think) and is rough dont think i'll cycle that.

There are various parts along the route that are rough (not as bad as photographed) but dont warrant a MTB in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

seanie500 wrote: »

Raised it earlier here, got some opinions on the cycling forum and as my training was kinda screwed i'm going with the mtb this year (went roadie last year) so i'll give an honest appraisal next week as to the pros/cons of each.
    My thinking is, with the road surface in general up there I don't think a roadie is much more of a benefit (weight aside). It's similar enough to what I'm used to down west cork and while there's no comparison flying in the carrigrohane straight in the city, down west my trusty old mtb is a lot closer to the road bike.

sillysocks wrote: »

it will be nice to have the support on the day, so thanks! from memory there were people dotted along the route last yr intermittently, but really you'd be as well to be at the finish line really, i'd say the buzz there will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Well, the donkey of the year prize goes to... me. After all the training, all the build up and a vast expense spent on bike tyres, camelbaks and windproof ultra-light jackets for what was to be my adventure race debut, a registration cock-up involving myself and my gf each thinking the other had registered us, it transpires that neither of us did so. Absolutely gutting, and all the more so because we're missing out for reasons of pure stupidity.

So, to all, best of luck on saturday. I'll have to try to console myself with the Achill Roar Sport consolation prize instead... and hopefully register properly next year. Hugely jealous of all of you... so enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Oh no, that's a disaster :mad: So which one of you will win in giving the other the silent treatment the longest !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

Wreck wrote: »
    I'm in for this, in the 7.00 jogger wave. Hoping to run it in about 6 hours.

Anyone have any advice on what to eat on the Friday? Is pasta the way to go?

For breakfast on the Saturday I think my choices will be pretty limited, going to go with museli and yoghurt, and then a banana on the bus.

Where can you buy survival blankets? I'm based in Dublin, so assuming that somewhere like the Great Outdoors?

I got one in the outdoor shop on Liffey st for €6.99, got a whistle for €2.99 aswell!!

Very helpful bunch in there

Advertisement