Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    i'm starting to think you're right about the mountain running alright.. did you join IMRA or are you doing it yourself? Is anyone a member of IMRA?

I cant wait either, much and all as I complain! Going to go bike shopping this weekend, no way am i doing it on a hybrid again this yr, dont care if i've to walk the offroad bits.. got so sick of people on racers speeding past me last yr and i was going full throttle- such a waste of energy

hope the hamstring heals quickly!

No not in IMRA, just running in Wicklow and the dublin mountains by myself. TickKnock park in the dublin mountains is a good run.

Yea im going to do it on a hybrid this yea, i saw the photos of the road coming up to the mountain, look deadly!! Im sure we're going to see a lot of people getting punchers there.
    I have kevlar tyres which when pumped up to the right pressure should be ok.

I understand what your saying about the racers though, its hard to find a balance.

Have an appointment with the physio tonight, hopefully we can get it fixed with enough time to get more training in.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

well that's the problem- a puncture on a racer will erode any gains you'll have made in time.. but then on the connemara adventure challenge i saw plenty of people with hybrids getting punctures too, so you cant legislate against it on a hybrid either! how long is that bit, am i right in saying it's 4km?

what the bleedin' hell was wrong with the bike route last yr i ask??!! twas only that last little bit post CP that was offroad...

BTW Genesis Old Pedestal- any info on tickknock (as in routes, whree to park etc) that you have to hand would be very helpful.. dont know the area that well- was going to do most of the running in and around sugarloaf, but ticknock is closer again. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

how long is that bit, am i right in saying it's 4km?

what the bleedin' hell was wrong with the bike route last yr i ask??!! twas only that last little bit post CP that was offroad...

Its about 4 or 5km...see my garmin link a few pages back for the exact route.

They had no choice to change the route, as people in later waves last year cycling up the hill refused to get out of the way of the ambulance that was trying to get up to the mountain rescue base to get some lad that was injured.

BTW Genesis Old Pedestal- any info on tickknock (as in routes, whree to park etc) that you have to hand would be very helpful.. dont know the area that well- was going to do most of the running in and around sugarloaf, but ticknock is closer again. cheers

I have it on mapmyrun, I'll find the link and send it to you

• Advertisement

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Its 7km...see my garmin link a few pages back for the exact route.

They had no choice to change the route, as people in later waves last year cycling up the hill refused to get out of the way of the ambulance that was trying to get up to the mountain rescue base to get some lad that was injured.

ah i see.. it makes sense so. saw your link but havent had a chance to go into it yet..

7km is longer than i thought.. hmmm... dyou think those pucture-resist tyres will do the job? ur so lucky ur close to the action for the training! (plus it's such a gorgeous part of the country!)

ah i see.. it makes sense so. saw your link but havent had a chance to go into it yet..

7km is longer than i thought.. hmmm... dyou think those pucture-resist tyres will do the job? ur so lucky ur close to the action for the training! (plus it's such a gorgeous part of the country!)

Ooops I wasn't quick enough on the edit....its only 4 or 5 off road, but its rough.

Will be testing those tyres soon enough on it....

Ya, its great over here, can train on all the route. Will be doing the 12k 1st run in GF in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully do it a few times in the next few months, and be well used to it.

To view iMapMyRun: 5 May 2010 20:11, follow the link below:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/view_route?r=106127308669151902

Park at the gate if your going to be past 7 or 8pm, not sure which one, they close the gate.
    Its a good run and definitely get the heart going.

[quote=[Deleted User];65948299]To view iMapMyRun: 5 May 2010 20:11, follow the link below:

Park at the gate if your going to be past 7 or 8pm, not sure which one, they close the gate.
    Its a good run and definitely get the heart going.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant, tk you so much..

CKW- i was in like flynn with my quote alright! (how bored am i in work)- still and all, 5km is a fair bit, especially when you're so knackered.. keep us updated when you have another chance to cycle it
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Will do.

Will be doing it next on my racer with the slicks still on, see how bad/hard it is to cycle.
    Then will see what tyres will be needed for the day. Don't want to get puncture proofs and leave them on for the summer, as they are slower supposedly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

Hi,

Looking fro more advise. At the moment I have a mountain bike to complete Gaelforce on, but the more I read about the event, I am thinking a road bike would be way better.

My question is how much would i expect to pay for an entry level one or even a second hand one. Also where could i go look at them in a shop (i am based in Dublin and Tipp)

give brian in total adventure a call- 087 8307214 greenplains- very helpful and can completely steer u in the right direction, tell you exactly what bike you need given your requirements etc.. heading out to him over the next few weeks myself- he's in blessington area..

ud be mental IMO to do it on a MB.. it would be great for the 5km offroad but, but a CHORE for the other 40km! i did it on a hybrid last yr, and going down the racer route this yr, altho will get appropriate tyres.. again, am hoping brian can give me the best steer

I don't how some people manage to do it on an MTB or a Hybrid, and some of the MTB guys have knobbly tyres.

I would probably chuck my bike in the ditch if I was on one in GF, as so many racers just whiz past.

If you can get a second hand or the loan of a racer, do, as you will be sorry if you do it on anything else.

Felt sorry for the people who rented bikes of the GF organizers last year, brutal things with baskets on the front, I couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

[quote=[Deleted User];65948299]To view iMapMyRun: 5 May 2010 20:11, follow the link below:

Its a good run and definitely get the heart going.[/QUOTE]

Is that a really steep route? I might give it a go, cheers Genesis Old Pedestal.

I went for my first proper hill run on Sunday and realised the amount of training I need to do...I thought I was grand training on the flat until I read all the posts on this thread.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mr gaffo

this is my first time doing GFW and cant wait, just did connemara adventure race, i did it on a MTB with slicks, i have a gaint ocr 1 race bike which i was going to do GFW on found the MTB very slow on the road do ye think this is a good choice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I'm going with a road bike - just ordered one and waiting on work to process the bike to work scheme paperwork.

My quandry is whether or not to invest in clipless pedals & shoes. I am thinking of attempting a couple of sprint triathlons, so they would obviously suit there.

Question is whether or not they are worth the expense at this point & if I should just go with some toe clip pedals such as:
    http://images.jensonusa.com/large/pe/pe401b00sil__916.jpg

Anyone got any recommendations based on experience ?

My quandry is whether or not to invest in clipless pedals & shoes. I am thinking of attempting a couple of sprint triathlons, so they would obviously suit there.

The clipless pedals and shoes are definitely worth getting if you are going to be doing a lot of bike training.

I switch them for toe clips though for a multisport event, I don't want to have to carry my trail shoes with me when I am on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Definitely invest in the clipless pedals and shoes, they make a big difference. Last year, I had intended to use toe clips for GFW but couldn't remove my clipless pedals. I ended up using clipless, leaving the shoes on the pedals, covered with plastic bags, in Delphi. It was a bit of a pain carrying the trail runners in your backpack but there are definite gains to be made using the clipless pedals.

After finishing, I saw a bike at Westport House that had a light-looking rack connected to the saddlepost, on which yer man's runners were held on by bungee cord. It struck me as a good solution, but I have to have a look around for such a tidy, light rack. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

im doing GFW for the first time

IM doing it to complete the event to be honest, and im going in one of the last waves. Im thinking of my Hybrid, ya wreckon it would be grand if im not bothered about the racers flying by?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

thehamo wrote: »

IM doing it to complete the event to be honest, and im going in one of the last waves. Im thinking of my Hybrid, ya wreckon it would be grand if im not bothered about the racers flying by?????

If your not bothered by the racers passing you by then a hybrid will be fine. I did it last year on a giant fcr, its a flat bar racer and i had 25mm continental gp4000 tyres on it and they where great (also used them for the connemara adventure challenge and didn't get any punctures).

I'm going with a road bike - just ordered one and waiting on work to process the bike to work scheme paperwork.

Question is whether or not they are worth the expense at this point & if I should just go with some toe clip pedals such as:
    http://images.jensonusa.com/large/pe...00sil__916.jpg

Anyone got any recommendations based on experience ?

Last year i had similar pedals to your image but will be using clipless pedals this year, I find them much better for cycling and should be good for the few hills on the course. I will just leave the shoes with the bike overnight and put my runners into my bag when on the bike. If you do go for the clipless pedals be sure to get them in advance of the race to give yourself time to get used to wearing them and clipping in and out of them while out and about.

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »

absolutely! i did it last yr just to get over the finish line with a smile on my face, this yr i want to knock an hour off my time so am opting for the racer.. it's not like the hybrid is as slow as the mountain bike either, so uv a happy medium.. probably more comfortable than a racer too. best of luck with your first GFW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Anyone else struggling to justify dropping E100 to enter this year's event?

Really enjoyed it last year but the increase in numbers and price, feels like you're being mugged a bit.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Anyone else struggling to justify dropping E100 to enter this year's event?

Really enjoyed it last year but the increase in numbers and price, feels like you're being mugged a bit.

ya its expensive, but I have a PB to beat. Only reason I am back.

And if its organised a whole lot better than last year, I will be back again. Judging by the Connemara Adventure Challenge, they will do a good job on it this year. (Fingers crossed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've entered as a bit of an incentive to get fitter. I run a little bit, but only 3 or 4 miles at a time. The most I've done is 10 miles.

Am I going to suffer on this one? I've got that feeling I've bitten off a huge amount more than I can chew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭addictedtoshoes

Trotter wrote: »
    I've entered as a bit of an incentive to get fitter. I run a little bit, but only 3 or 4 miles at a time. The most I've done is 10 miles.

Am I going to suffer on this one? I've got that feeling I've bitten off a huge amount more than I can chew.

I know the feeling, I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew as well! Most I've ever ran is 10 miles too and it was about 2 years ago. I think if you start now and keep consistent with the runs every week it should be okay. As it's my first time I'm just happy to finish to be honest, not focused on time!

Trotter wrote: »

10 miles?? eh, that's a lot.

To put it in perspective- i did GFW last yr, having broken my elbow (pretty serious part of the body to break) in june- didnt start training until mid july- did 4 wks training and didnt run more than 6KM prior to the race.. sheer grit and determination got me over the finishinng line in a decent 6hrs 20.. with a smile on my face!

seriously- it's MAY and you're already 1o times fitter than i was doing gael forec last yr;)

Hi,

I have yet another question, this time its regarding the bag/rick sack to use with doing the event.

I was looking at a 20 liter bag from North Face (designed for running) would this be a good option or should i look into getting a camel bag that has storage too or just using a normal ruck sack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

greenplain wrote: »
    Hi,

I have yet another question, this time its regarding the bag/rick sack to use with doing the event.

I was looking at a 20 liter bag from North Face (designed for running) would this be a good option or should i look into getting a camel bag that has storage too or just using a normal ruck sack ?

Go for something smaller. The one I used in the Connemara Adv was only about 8l I think, maybe less. All I really used out of it was the platypus water system.
    It came with a whistle on the straps too, so thats useful, another one checked off the kitlist.
    EDIT:
    Found a link to it here, got it on a deal with the water pack...
    http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=59

Honestly, looking at the kitlist, strip it down to bare minimum & bring that. Try and get the lightest rain/wind jacket you can find.
    You can store food & more water on the bike in a saddle bag, along with your puncture repair stuff.

I'll be carefully stripping things back to pass the kit-check (if there is one) and minimize weight carried.
    I should be able to manage as far as the bike without food, so can always take some with me for up & down the Reek.

greenplain wrote: »
    Hi,

i'd go for the camelpack with storage.. 20ltr really not required! i like to travel lite

ur very organised altogether!! i didnt even think about any of this s**t til the week before:)

• Advertisement

cheers lads, I will pick something up at the weekend

Advertisement