Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Eido wrote: »
    Disappointing number of women competing - would have expected that at least a third would have been women.

Finished in 6.04, so came in the top 20% (of the females that finished) so was really happy with myself.

- bring food you actually enjoy (really bland ham sandwich dried up my mouth and didn't do anything for me at all; gagged on the gels; had a revolting energy bar)

Yeah, i reckon it was 80% men for defo. Not surprised at that tho, women arent as tough as men. 99% of my friends would rather stick pins in their eyes that do what we did on saturday, then all think i'm mental!

Good to hear you were top 20%, i was 6.01 so that means i was too! thanks for that. My goals were top 50 overall and top 20 female, so i'm glad i got both of those. i really wanted sub 6, but the last sneaky run put paid to that :mad:

I agree with you about the food you enjoy- that's so true- i'll be doing the same next yr. if i NEVER see an energy bar again it'll be too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Yeah, i reckon it was 80% men for defo. Not surprised at that tho, women arent as tough as men. 99% of my friends would rather stick pins in their eyes that do what we did on saturday, then all think i'm mental!

Good to hear you were top 20%, i was 6.01 so that means i was too! thanks for that. My goals were top 50 overall and top 20 female, so i'm glad i got both of those. i really wanted sub 6, but the last sneaky run put paid to that :mad:

I agree with you about the food you enjoy- that's so true- i'll be doing the same next yr. if i NEVER see an energy bar again it'll be too soon.

I had jaffa cakes, natural confectionary jellies and nature valley crunchy oats bars, like all of the above so really easy to eat!
    I had gels with me but I didn't end up touching them!

Top 20% in females too....happy out!!

Wonkagirl everyone I work with and most of my friends think i'm a psycho for doing this!
    Also did a few tri's,WAR and running races....they actually think i'm insane when I say I enjoy it!!
    Chacon de son gout I say....each to their own!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Eido wrote: »
    Heard there were TV cameras at the elite run - does anyone know if the event will be televised...and if so when?

There was a TV camera doing some promotional stuff on behalf of Bord Fáilte. Another miniDV camera at the finish, not sure what it was for but would suspect Gaelforce's Youtube channel.

A short clip of the race on Nuacht TG4, starts at 3:51 in. I'm to be seen descending Croagh Patrick gracefully ;) at 4:21!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

that u with teh sunglasses? well its as graceful as one would expect given teh circumstances:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Yeah, i reckon it was 80% men for defo. Not surprised at that tho, women arent as tough as men. QUOTE]

i knew giving birth was over rated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Wreck wrote: »
    Yeah I saw those ones, spotted a few friends but none of me! The guy on top of CP made me and my friend pose for a pic, I really want to see what state I was in. :o

Found it, kind of wish I hadn't though!

I look like a psycho in the photo on top of CP!!
    I'm smiling and giving a thumbs up but my eyes look crazy...not good!! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not a picture of me in sight :) Probably not a bad thing that though. I remember seen a camera at the top of CP and 1 on the first run but outside of that I didn't see anymore.

that u with teh sunglasses? well its as graceful as one would expect given teh circumstances:D

That's me alright... was worried it would be a wet day as they are prescription sunglasses and I didn't fancy coming down the mountain half-blind!

I look like a psycho in the photo on top of CP!!
    I'm smiling and giving a thumbs up but my eyes look crazy...not good!! :D

The one of me on CP isnt too bad, but by jesus the one of me crossing the finish line is HILARIOUS, i look like a 90 yr old woman in need of a serious dump! I'm smiling on CP, but at the finish i cant even pretend, i look awful, absolultey shattered!

great pics, but they're woefully expensive :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Well, GFW 2010 done and boy am I glad to see the back of it, for the moment anyway.

Found it hellish :mad: and much tougher than I could ever have imagined. Really struggled in the first cycle and CP and wanted to give up so many times but thankfully kept slogging away.

Didn't hit my pre-match target of sub 6 hour but came home in a respectable 6:21 which for a first-timer and a 17 stone rugby prop at that!!! ;)

Things I learned from this year:
    • Don't bring so much sweet food (gels, bars etc). My stomach was sick of sugar by the time I got to the finish line.
    • Bring more food you like
    • Run your own race and don't wait up for friends who you will ultimately have to leave anyway later.
    • If you feel good, go for it! I felt great on the first run but held back thinking that I needed all the energy.
    • Take a few more risks on the bike. My gear was spot-on (Cyclocross bike with Gatorskins) so why did I walk so much? Nerves. Will go for it more next time....if there is a next time!
    • Wear a cycle jersey next time. The pockets are so handy.
    • Train for Croagh Patrick!!! This nearly killed me.
    Overall, hated much of the event but loved the course and the sense of acheivement.

Thanks for all the help and assistance from everyone on this thread and well done everyone!

btw. heard a great story on Sat night about a friend of a friend buckling a wheel on the first big descent (about 10k into the 1st cycle), dropping the bike into a nearby house and running the rest of the race.......I don't know who this man is but he has just become my new hero........doing about 60k of GFW on foot.........legend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

did anybody else have that grainy salty face thing going on?

i'm wondering did i not take on enough fluid during the race.. i had 2.15 litres in total- how does that sound?

was a real struggle to eat too, wasnt it.. forced myself with a banana, a gel, and an energy bar.. ditching the latter going fwd tho.

Sounds like you could have been a little short on both food and water. I took 3 litres of water and 1 litre with electrolyte and diarolyte. I was strongly advised to force myself to eat at least 2 food items per hour. I find energy bars and gels revolting but decided it was all part of the race and yomped my way through 3 energy bars, six gels, 2 bananas and a mini mars:eek:. Although it was by far the hardest event I've ever done I felt full of energy all the time.
    In my 2 previous races, War and ROAR I was really low on energy and the taste of the gels really put me off eating. I was left shattered after both.
    Even tho I'm a really fussy eater it was well worth force feeding myself all way thru GF. I really doubt anyone enjoys the gels but they really do the trick imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Yeah, i reckon it was 80% men for defo. Not surprised at that tho, women arent as tough as men. QUOTE]

i knew giving birth was over rated ;)

i tell ya , i never said id go again for more kids within a day of givin birth but im up for GF 2011 already
    was wonderin bout the female turnout and i dont know if it will ever be that popular cause it is so tough ! added strenght of men ha to be an advantage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I hope they add more pictures..

The one of me on CP isnt too bad, but by jesus the one of me crossing the finish line is HILARIOUS, i look like a 90 yr old woman in need of a serious dump! I'm smiling on CP, but at the finish i cant even pretend, i look awful, absolultey shattered!

great pics, but they're woefully expensive :eek:

My finish one is hilarious too...look wrecked.com!
    My brother's is the same....I reckon everyone's is....shows how hard we worked!!

Re the guy running with the bike, that's amazing!
    I was on my way to Louisburgh circa 5 o'clock, had been home showered eaten the whole lot and I saw a guy come out on the main road to wport, clearly had some bike problem, threw it over the wall of a house where there were people watching (prob arranged to pick it up later) and started to run the rest.....legend.....after all that and still running!!

Can't decide whether to rest or do something tonight....which would be better for the body??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Seres wrote: »

i tell ya , i never said id go again for more kids within a day of givin birth but im up for GF 2011 already

well done Seres. Top 10 women is fantastic!

Can't decide whether to rest or do something tonight....which would be better for the body??

I'm going for a swim and a short walk- i would avoid biking or running personally!

A light cycle mightnt be too bad, but (TMI ALERT)- my lady bits are in a pretty poor state, i dont think i'll be sitting on a bike until the Achill roar!

TMI is right!!

Left my bike in Mayo as home for long weekend coming!
    I feel weird not having her with me!!

I was thinking of going to circuits but everyone that i've mentioned it to seems to think this is mad!

Perhaps a short run might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Well I’ve been reading this thread for months and asked enough questions along the way so thought I might contribute on my own experience on Saturday. Like many who’ve posted on the thread, I’m (was!!!) a first-time adventure racer for GFW this year. I think that makes it even more of an adventure, given that my training was limited to running/cycling around the Phoenix Park and my first glance of CP that I can remember was on Friday afternoon!!!
    I've downloaded the Excel results and ranked them by the various sections to see how I did, but unfortunately the file is too big to attach to my post. If someone can put it somewhere online for me let me know or I could send you on how you did if you post your number/name or seomthing! Maybe try this link it might have worked..... LINK
    In simple summary, it was an incredible experience! I thoroughly enjoyed the entire event – well organised and the scenery was absolutely fantastic along the way! I had no idea on targets so just hoped for sub-6 hour and was delighted to finish in 5:14:23, nearly in the top 300! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45801406
    For anyone who cares, here are some of my thoughts about the experience.
    Equipment – thankfully everything I used worked perfect. The Camelbak Octane XTC was a dream and fit so well, and my bike (Halford’s finest – Boardman Hybrid Comp!) didn’t give me the slightest bother all day. As recommended I had the tyres at 110 PSI and the only time I was off the saddle all day was about 100m of the downhill in the last section. Anyone know how to clean manky road running shoes!? Assume washing machine isn’t the best idea? I wore them through the shower but they’re still grubby enough!
    Registration – was glad I took the day off on Friday. Very smooth in Killary and then at Delphi, although it was a little strange abandoning my 2-month-old bike in a big field without a lock on it! Never done bike race either so this was new for me! :)
    Westport – what a welcoming place for the event! Stayed in MJ Henehan’s which was a perfect location. It was slightly noisy above the bar but they did ring to warn me about that in advance. It was a lovely touch to get a bag outside the room on Sat with energy food and gels from them!
    Food – Kept it simple in the end and that worked perfect for me. 2 bottles of diluted lucozade sport on the bike, water in the camelbak, a pack of jellies and 3 snack size mars bars kept me going for the day. Ages since I used gels so I stayed clear of that!
    Bus Out – great atmosphere on the bus to the start. A bit cruel driving past people almost reaching the end of the first run and seeing the pain on their faces, knowing that was ahead of us!:)
    Start – love the starting location on the beach. I was 2nd-last wave so we had the last guys to clap us out. That was nice but I was sorry for them having no one!!
    First Run – The first big hill nearly killed me – even that was beyond my normal training and gave me an idea of what was to come! I have to say the toughest part of the whole day for me was the famine trail run (if that’s what it’s called?). I just couldn’t believe how technical it was and how much you had to concentrate. My road shoes were constantly slipping. With people running right in front of and behind you I think you feel pressure to keep running fast along there when nearly every stride you could be about to go over on an ankle or something. It was so challenging from around 5-7 km if I remember right. Being towards the end of the start times we were also (even on the first leg) passing a fair few walkers which made it even messier. Lovely to finish on a downhill to “relax” before the kayak.
    Kayak – 20 minutes wasn’t a bad wait. Felt sorry for one kayak I saw capsize twice before even getting 100m out, the poor people! Paired up with a randomer and he was fairly nifty so we flew across (09:34).
    Bog – Jaypers it was a mucky run until the road to Delphi. Again being further down the field I assume means it’s messiest for the poor people who start later!
    Bike – It absolutely lashed down when I got to my bike for a few minutes and I was soaked to the bone, but again I guess that’s part of the experience! Really enjoyed the cycle (despite losing my $ 5.00 dealextreme Oakley's!), although as someone pointed out I was expecting it to be tougher hill-wise. My only near-miss was just that stretch where you rejoin the main road for a while – came down the hill so fast I nearly couldn’t make the left turn – ended up right over the wrong side of the road but thankfully no traffic coming at me! The crappy road to CP went on forever. I was surprised by the amount of people walking from the start of this – it must have taken them hours on foot. Am I right in saying there are lower gears (the ones where you can pedal fast and move really slowly) on a hybrid vs a normal racer? The road bike guys seemed to run out of gears quicker than me. Last part of that section was tough and nearly came off bike with wheelspin!
    CP – Well I knew it would be tough, but it really is so hard getting off your bike and knowing you have to go the whole way up there! I just put the head down and marched. Ended up in the top 200 for that section so was delighted with myself! Pity there was no view while I was at the top, but at least that kept me moving and I didn’t stop! I was much slower coming down the mountain (750th-ish) – I stuck to the main path rather than chancing my arm with the shortcut! It was scary stuff I have to say anyway – that last section up/down at the top of CP is lethal!
    2nd Bike – God that rough part of the cycle was tough! I stayed on my bike as long as I could, then finally knew I should give up. It was just in time as I nearly went over the handlebars while coming to a stop! It was easy to see who the locals were on the next stretch down to the mainroad. I had to be careful due to potholes and whatever else, but some people bombed past me like I don’t know what! The last part of the cycle was enjoyable and then the run to the finish.
    Finish – So impressed to receive results print-out on the line and to have soup with buttered bread, but I was surprised they didn’t have some sort of energy drinks!
    Prizegiving – I went along later on the cheer the winners. Have to say it was a bit disappointing not to see both more competitors and more winners there for the event. I realise people might have needed to go home, but it seemed like quite a lot of prize winners were gone and the only ones there were locals!!!
    Overall – Thoroughly enjoyable weekend – a well-run, challenging event and a very welcoming town! As many mentioned, the people along the route really help you along the way! Am I right in saying we even ran through someone's back garden between the kayaks and rejoining the road!?
    Lastly, thanks again to all on here for the info / advice / support that has been shared around! I've enjoyed reading the other reviews!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TMI is right!!

I was thinking of going to circuits but everyone that i've mentioned it to seems to think this is mad!

You've Louisburgh breeding, madness is already there :)

I still can't walk so getting out of the office stairs and down the M50 without cramping will be perfect training for me tonite :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

menoscemo wrote: »
    Seres wrote: »

well done Seres. Top 10 women is fantastic!

thanks ,if i had planned things better could have improved by 10mins or so , wasted loads of time in transition changin shoes , and last bike was disaster , chain came off , couldnt put it back on , crashed into a trailer on the back of a car , was floored , had no idea of my time , kept forgettin to put on garmin on and then it was goin onto autopause goin up to CP , might have pushed it a bit more if i had known the time , kept thinkin as well that loads of people from later waves were passing me out
    but saying that had a great day and sure the first adventure race you are goin to get loads of stuff wrong anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

TMI is right!!

My bike was supposed to be coming home today, but I've just heard my friend's car is broken down so they're not sure when I'll get it back. To be honest I'm quite happy to have a bit of a cooling off period away from it!

It's going to be either a swim or a short gentle run for me this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

Fi H wrote: »
    Yeah... the advantage in being actually last is that all the marshalls know they can go home when you come through so they were very enthusiastic :) also my really impressive friends who finished hours before me went home showered changed and drove the car down to support me and to drive me back to the hotel.... i LOVE them so much!!

I do think the cycle back into town at that hour of the night would have killed me....esp cause people would have been...where the hell have you been til now :D:D

10 + hours.. very well done.. you must have the determination of a terminator ! it aint over til it's over .. you're a true heroine !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

did ye know that 779 people took more than 20 minutes out at the kayak section?
    also the most someone took as a time out was 1hr 35min
    also the least someone took as a time out was 14 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I have a pair of inov8 flyroc 310s and they are an excellent trail shoe. Off road and on CP i think they would be hard to beat but running on road is a bit taxing on the legs and running downhill on the road is tough as there is zero cushioning.

I have worn them for the last 2 GF but i may look at something with a bit more give in them for next year.
    Forgot to say mine are the Roclite 295s

Forgot to say mine are the Roclite 295s

+1 on the Roclite 295s, I found them great to run in compared to the heavier Salomon's I wore last year. My only gripe would be that they felt a bit wide coming down Croagh Patrick. Either I should have tightened them up more, or worn thicker socks. Great shoes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

ronanmac wrote: »
    +1 on the Roclite 295s, I found them great to run in compared to the heavier Salomon's I wore last year. My only gripe would be that they felt a bit wide coming down Croagh Patrick. Either I should have tightened them up more, or worn thicker socks. Great shoes though.

try thicker socks. I lost one of my trail runners twice in a previous AR. Bought some hilly thick socks and wore them in training for GF. Wore them on Sat and had no problems with the runners coming off .. brought an extra pair in my bumbag, but didn't use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

g0g wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the cycle (despite losing my $ 5.00 dealextreme Oakley's!)

Which I think I saw along the fire road before CP!! Great summary and congratulations on your time. 5.14 is a great time for a first Adventure Race!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PizBadiler

I helped look after the young fella who fell on the reek and he was fairly bashed up. I've been onto the Mountain Rescue crew since and they said he wasn't too bad after all that. MMRT did a great job.

Had a fantastic day!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Eido

Sniipe wrote: »
    did ye know that 779 people took more than 20 minutes out at the kayak section?
    also the most someone took as a time out was 1hr 35min
    also the least someone took as a time out was 14 seconds

This requires more information. The timeout was often involuntary - there were queues of over 20 minutes for most of the day.

Advertisement