Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

greenplain wrote: »
    cheers lads, I will pick something up at the weekend

I just picked up one of these off wiggle:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Camelbak_Octane_XTC_Plus_2_Litre_Hydration_System/5360048222/

Its very light and has minimal pockets, so the kit will have to be stripped down to fit it.

I find the more pockets and storage in the bag, the more stuff you will end up bringing with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

hi CKW.....this is gas, i just went to 53 degrees north at lunch time and got the exact same bag. it cost me €55 though!

53 online.

55 in a shop here is great value.

No decent shop where I am stocking good camelbaks, they are all up on 70 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

CKWPORT wrote: »
    I just picked up one of these off wiggle:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Camelbak_Octane_XTC_Plus_2_Litre_Hydration_System/5360048222/

Its very light and has minimal pockets, so the kit will have to be stripped down to fit it.

I find the more pockets and storage in the bag, the
    more stuff you will end up bringing with ya.

totally agree.. it's like when you go away on holidays, the bigger the suitcase you bring, the more you fill up..

all i had on me last yr was 500ml of luco sport on the bike, 2.5 litres of water/nuun in the camelbak and blanket, whistle (the tiny ones that they sold as a package in great outdoors for €5), 3 baby mars bars, a few plasters.. also in the camelbak.. then i'd sellotaped 2 bananas to the bike- one which i had at the start of the 44km, one at the end prior to the CP climb..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    10 miles?? eh, that's a lot.

To put it in perspective- i did GFW last yr, having broken my elbow (pretty serious part of the body to break) in june- didnt start training until mid july- did 4 wks training and didnt run more than 6KM prior to the race.. sheer grit and determination got me over the finishinng line in a decent 6hrs 20.. with a smile on my face!

seriously- it's MAY and you're already 1o times fitter than i was doing gael forec last yr;)

That's fairly reassuring, I was starting to think I wasn't gonna be able for it too...I'd be delighted to even finish, if I got anywhere near that time I'd be even more delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Romor

Great stuff here lads/lassies. I haven't read the thread in a few weeks. I am a GFW 1st timer too and was starting to doubt my ability but lots here to keep me positive about my prospects of completing GFW. I am currently running 3 10k's a week and 1 mountain run (currently doing 3 laps of the Cruagh Wood and hoping to push it to 4 soon). http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=22

Was planning to wear my North Face water proof trail runners but now see why they may not be the best.....more expense now to buy a non waterproof pair :(.

I am still awaiting delivery of my new hybrid through the bike to work scheme as unfortunately I've managed to pick a very popular model with a long lead time on delivery. Anyway this is it here http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/roam.xr.2/4883/39038/. I plan on using it for GFW. I just wanted to ask advice on the tyres. It has Schwalbe CX Comp 700x35mm tyres. Will these do or should I get a more slick tyre fitted when it eventually reaches our shores?? Hopefully be biking by early June when I have many k’s to put in before Aug 21st!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

That's good run training for sure Rumor and the once a week laps in Cruagh will stand you well.
    Try to get out into the bigger hills at least every second weekend if you can and do a longer steeper climb/ descent on rough n rocky ground like that on Sugarloaf if you cannot get over west to practice on CP itself.

Your bike choice looks like a good one for GF and I would go with the tyres on it unless you have serious top ten ambitions. Max the pressure in the tyres and again practice on typical mix of terrain and gradients you will be riding on.

The final bike section after CP includes a decent rocky section that is prob best only really to be attempted by good technical bikers if not on a MTB.

I ran down most of the bad section last year as I was on a light road bike and am a better technical runner than biker and had an ok result - maybe lost a place but was happy w my result :).
    In one of the previous years the clear leader had attempted to ride it and punctured losing the race because of it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Just purchased my Salomon Speed Cross shoes. Will have to hit the hills for some proper training when they arrive - and a drive out to Croagh Patrick will be a must as well.

Hopefully will have both them & the bike in a week or so & I can try the cycle & climb in one trip.

Just purchased my Salomon Speed Cross shoes. Will have to hit the hills for some proper training when they arrive - and a drive out to Croagh Patrick will be a must as well.

Hopefully will have both them & the bike in a week or so & I can try the cycle & climb in one trip.

did you get them from wiggle? were they pricey? really need to invest..

I did the Ticknock run last nite (tks Genesis Old Pedestal) and it's great- lovely route, not that steep, ideal training for GFW and close(ish) to dublin if that's where you live.. i am so in the ZONE right now!

ur right, at least one ascent of CP is crucial- ideally, spend a weekend down there and do it on the sat AND sun- that's what we did last yr,, combine it with a bit of a cycle to get the legs used to it..

did you get them from wiggle? were they pricey? really need to invest..

I did the Ticknock run last nite (tks Genesis Old Pedestal) and it's great- lovely route, not that steep, ideal training for GFW and close(ish) to dublin if that's where you live.. i am so in the ZONE right now!

ur right, at least one ascent of CP is crucial- ideally, spend a weekend down there and do it on the sat AND sun- that's what we did last yr,, combine it with a bit of a cycle to get the legs used to it..

Was looking at them on Exposure Sports, based in Castlebar, but they didn't have black, only a sickly green, which normally wouldn't bother me, but I'd like to break them in wearing them under jeans.

They're also available from Wiggle, but I got them from Surf Mountain, based in Bangor. I've purchased from them before, so was happy to give them my Euros.

They cost £76.50 GBP, which works out at roughly the €90, depending on the exchange rate when they charge my card.

I'm based in Galway, so only an hours drive out to Delphi to start the cycle, then hike up & down the Reek, and cycle back to the car.
    Will probably try to cycle a bit before trying the route, and will have to find a few off-road hills closer to Galway city to get some practice on.

• Advertisement

Definitely its crucial to get a training session on the reek beforehand, know what your in for.

We did the zig zag on the reek twice there on Monday evening, plan to do that once a week if possible.

Getting better on it, not quite running it yet.

Apparently a few people have had their cars broken into at the Mountain Rescue base, heard that the last day, dunno if its true or not.

Definitely its crucial to get a training session on the reek beforehand, know what your in for.

We did the zig zag on the reek twice there on Monday evening, plan to do that once a week if possible.

Getting better on it, not quite running it yet.

Apparently a few people have had their cars broken into at the Mountain Rescue base, heard that the last day, dunno if its true or not.

Interesting to know - where's the mountain rescue base, its not the car park at the base of the pilgrims route is it ?

I've been up and down the reek a few times, though last time was quite a few years ago, and always on the pilgrims route.

Will definitely have to get out there for a few practice runs.

only a sickly green

You'll know me if you spot me on the reek so, in my sickly green trail shoes!!!:mad:
    Interesting to know - where's the mountain rescue base, its not the car park at the base of the pilgrims route is it ?

I've been up and down the reek a few times, though last time was quite a few years ago, and always on the pilgrims route.

Will definitely have to get out there for a few practice runs.

Is this your 1st GF?
    Better off practicing on the route GF takes, up the back of the reek.
    Here is a garmin link. The start is the mountain rescue base.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29146394

Yes, its my first GF, signed up after doing the Connemara challenge a few weeks ago.

I'll be training on the race route alright, just saying that the only time I've climbed the reek before was on the pilgrim route - no way would I train on it.

Quick question for ya, is the mountain rescue base accessible by car, ie, are there no gates etc blocking the way ?

Was considering cycling the route, dropping the bike, then ascending & descending back to the bike for training.

Would be wary of leaving the bike unattended if there's people breaking into cars there. Would prefer to take my chances with the locked car if thats the only option.

It is accessible by car, and there is room for parking up there too.

I never had any problem leaving the car or bike there, and I've been up there loads, I just heard that the last day, honestly don't know if its true or not!

It won't be stopping me from leaving the bike or car there. Hopefully I aint on here next saying they broke into my car!

Hopefully not.

Do you have any info on the section from along the Western Way when you come down from the reek.
    Looks like it'd be quite rough on the bike, or is it cycleable for the most part on a road bike?

Will run & carry if there's particularly rough spots, but suspect I'd be quicker easing along carefully on the bike.

Ya, thats fairly rough, you can cycle up most of it these days as its dry...cycle up the grass verge.

The downhill part is up to, the top lads will either race down it on the bikes or run down carrying the bikes....Its very bad, and cycling down it you would be really risking a puncture. It shorts though, I went down it the last day on the mountain bike, it was sound, but wouldn't chance it on a racer, will walk or run it.

Ya, thats fairly rough, you can cycle up most of it these days as its dry...cycle up the grass verge.

The downhill part is up to, the top lads will either race down it on the bikes or run down carrying the bikes....Its very bad, and cycling down it you would be really risking a puncture. It shorts though, I went down it the last day on the mountain bike, it was sound, but wouldn't chance it on a racer, will walk or run it.

From that description, it sounds like it'll have to be a run & carry for some of it. In that case, I suspect trail runners & toe clips will be the way to go.

From that description, it sounds like it'll have to be a run & carry for some of it. In that case, I suspect trail runners & toe clips will be the way to go.

Twas Runners and toe clips for me last year, this year Trail shoes and toe clips.
    But its best to do the course sections yourself if you can before making your mind up.

spurscormac, you'd be as well to do a GF training weekend- i did one last yr and it was the best thing i ever did in preparation..brian from total experience runs the courses and gives great tips.. the next one is on this weekend as it happens.. if that's too soon, email the lads in killary and they'll tell you when the next one is adventure@killary.com

Ul get all the answers to your Qs and more.. Brian is one of the best known fellas on the AR circuit and is a mine of information.. very nice guy too. it was the best training i did for GFW last yr- a month prior to the event was when i did it- you cycle some of the route, run a lot of it, and climb CP as well, and also do a bit of kayaking.. you do the running cycling and kayaking on the saturday, and then climb CP on the sunday (with a hangover:D)

having done the course, i really had peace of mind on the day itself.. i'll probably do another one this july as well.

• Advertisement

spurscormac, you'd be as well to do a GF training weekend- i did one last yr and it was the best thing i ever did in preparation..brian from total experience runs the courses and gives great tips.. the next one is on this weekend as it happens.. if that's too soon, email the lads in killary and they'll tell you when the next one is adventure@killary.com

Ul get all the answers to your Qs and more.. Brian is one of the best known fellas on the AR circuit and is a mine of information.. very nice guy too. it was the best training i did for GFW last yr- a month prior to the event was when i did it- you cycle some of the route, run a lot of it, and climb CP as well, and also do a bit of kayaking.. you do the running cycling and kayaking on the saturday, and then climb CP on the sunday (with a hangover:D)

having done the course, i really had peace of mind on the day itself.. i'll probably do another one this july as well.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I work a fair few weekends, this one too, so I won't make it.
    As I'm only (what I would consider) a short drive from there, I think I can rustle up a few people to head out there a few times over the summer to try out the route.
    I'm familiar with the area too, so a couple of reccies will do me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rosen

Hi folks,
    Great forum and great advice. Im a first timer too and entering for the craic and to finish rather than racing. Heading down to CP this weekend to get used to it so I don't die of shock when I see it in GF.
    Just wondering, is the route up CP the same as the pilgrimage route? If not where is the start point? I can't quite tell from the maps (sorry)!
    Thanks a mill.

Rosen wrote: »
    Just wondering, is the route up CP the same as the pilgrimage route? If not where is the start point? I can't quite tell from the maps (sorry)!
    Thanks a mill.

Howya!

Its not the pilgrimage route. Its the back of CP.
    Here is a garmin map of the route:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29146394

You have to head out the N59 from Westport to get to the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Rosen wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Great forum and great advice. Im a first timer too and entering for the craic and to finish rather than racing. Heading down to CP this weekend to get used to it so I don't die of shock when I see it in GF.
    Thanks a mill.

As CK said head out the N59 or the Leenane road , about 4 miles from Westport turn right for owenwee and then a quick left (signed post Owenwee kennels) keep to this road for about 1.5 miles and follow the road to the right (note: this brings you to the mountain rescue base station where the reek run starts but in the race you will go straight ahead on your bike and cycle back thru the woods to the reek).
    After the right turn travel on about 2-3miles until you get to the mountain rescue portacabins - This is the base for the reek climb on GF. Basically walk in a straigh line from this across very wet and boggy land until you get to a visible path , this zig/zags to the right and then left up the reek for about 2.5k each way .
    Weather is not great Sat so come prepared and if your in Westport early there is a sprint Triathlon early morning at the quay if you want to warm up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rosen

Weather is not great Sat so come prepared and if your in Westport early there is a sprint Triathlon early morning at the quay if you want to warm up:)

Thanks CK and toomuchdetail - much appreciated.
    The sprint triathlon sounds ideal - I can fit it in between my sat morning fry-up and soup and pint lunch :eek:!

Cheers.

Just got my Salomon Speed Cross 2s :D

That was quick delivery, ordered at 09:30 Wed morning from Surf Mountain, they tried to deliver @ 17:05 yesterday but there was nobody home.
    Picked it up on my lunch break from the courier depot.

They're very light, look the business & fit nicely.
    I'll just have to get out and try them.

Dangan for the Galway 5k series is next Tues, rough enough paths for parts, might give them a trial run out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You might need to break them in first though Cormac, wear them around the place and get a few runs in. I think CK said his trail shoes were tight when he had them first, I cud be wrong about this though.

Picked up my first pair of trail shoes in Elvery's in Dundrum yesterday:

http://www.asics.ie/running/products/gel-trabuco-wr-men/

Took them for a short run up at the Hell Fire club in Dublin and the difference is amazing, particularly on the downhill. Those particular ones are really breathable too which was important for me.

The guy in Elvery's was really helpful and seemed to really know his stuff, which was good as I really don't. They do gait analysis and everything for free too which I had to turn down cos I was in a hurry.

If anyone's looking for a cheap enough pair of trail shoes, they have a good selection ranging from €40 up to €125 or so, and then they have all the Salomon ones in a new Outdoor shop next door (I just stuck with Asics because they were cheaper and I know they're a good fit for me from previous shoes).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Didnt think that Elverys did them. For 50 euro they could be worth buying.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Didnt think that Elverys did them. For 50 euro they could be worth buying.

Those particular ones weren't 50, they were €95, but they have a few other pairs, the cheapest ones were Adidas ones but they didn't look like they had much ankle support.

Advertisement