Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

snailsong wrote: »
    Also going mad, havn't run for more than a mile or so for six weeks due to knee injury. I can cycle ok but need to resume running obv. Doing first GF at 40 (if knee gets sorted). Not making much progress with physio. Is there anyone you'd recommend? I'm also in westport.

Being in dublin, i cant recommend a physio for you, but i CAN recommend the gaelforce official physio- 'physiofusion'- as she is my physio and is absolutely brilliant.. i'm not sure how her 'gaelforce' affiliation is workign but i think she's going to be around on aug 20/21/22 to treat people? also for anyone living in dublin, she's absolutely brilliant at sports injuries.. audrey is ainm di

www.physiofusion.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

have signed up for this and have done nothin on the bike to date !! put myself into wave two with good intentions ?! anyone have any opinons on the training weekends , i see there is one next weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Seres wrote: »
    have signed up for this and have done nothin on the bike to date !! put myself into wave two with good intentions ?! anyone have any options on the training weekends , i see there is one next weekend ?

If you've done nothing on the bike, get yourself to that training weekend so you can do the course before the event, you'll be a lot better off then knowing exactly what is needed for the bike section, and might give you all the incentive you need to get working on the bike before the main event.

have signed up for this and have done nothin on the bike to date !! put myself into wave two with good intentions ?! anyone have any opinons on the training weekends , i see there is one next weekend ?

I did one last yr and woudl rate it very highly. you get to complete a lot of the course over the day, including climbing CP on the sunday. would love to do the one next wend but have a goddamn hen party. go for it would be my advice- i found it excellent. you get great nutrition tips too- what to eat, when to eat it, at what stage of the course to tuck into the banana, etc...

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    you get great nutrition tips too- what to eat, when to eat it, at what stage of the course to tuck into the banana, etc...

This is something I struggle to get right on long events, any tips?

What did they say you should do for GF?

• Advertisement

CKWPORT wrote: »
    This is something I struggle to get right on long events, any tips?

What did they say you should do for GF?

breakfast at LEAST 2 hours prior to KO.. slow releasing carbs like wholemeal bagel with peanut butter, porridge etc.. more than u usually eat but not enough to make you feel sick.. coffee good.

energy gel/bar at the kayak stop.. then a banana the minute you get on the bike, (i had sellotaped mine to handlebars) and another banana or similar quick releasing carb on the last few KMs to CP.. something sugary like chocolate at summit of CP- i had a mini moro.. which made me feel ill!.. about 150 calories an hour is optimum and ONLY stuff that you are used to- dont go for gels if you've never taken them before, as they can give some people diarhoea

liquids wise- bottle of luco sport on the bike, and 500mls per hour after that.. so 2-3 litres in bladder should be enough.. with either NUUN or diorlyte tablet in.. i like to water down the luco sport as find it very sugary- so put half luco/half water in the bike bottle..

also, 'jelly snakes' in your pocket for the odd pick me up!

I did one last yr and woudl rate it very highly. you get to complete a lot of the course over the day, including climbing CP on the sunday. would love to do the one next wend but have a goddamn hen party. go for it would be my advice- i found it excellent. you get great nutrition tips too- what to eat, when to eat it, at what stage of the course to tuck into the banana, etc...
    hey wonkagirl , cant get down for whole weekend so was think just saturday , would you miss out much if you leave out the sunday? (train planning and debrief talk ) , know they will climb croagh patrick but i could do this again or are there alot of added benefits with the adventure grp ?

hey wonkagirl , cant get down for whole weekend so was think just saturday , would you miss out much if you leave out the sunday? (train planning and debrief talk ) , know they will climb croagh patrick but i could do this again or are there alot of added benefits with the adventure grp ?

there are some benefits to doing CP with the adventure group, in that you get tips on how to descend etc., (soft knees, strong ankles, arm positioning etc) but its still DEFINITELY worth ur while going just for the saturday- that's when you do all the cycling, running and kayaking.. you run 12km of the 16km course, and cycle about 30km, then do the kayak in full as well.. i thought it was most definitely worthwhile- it really takes the 'fear' element out of it on the day- you know what youv'e got ahead of you!

there are some benefits to doing CP with the adventure group, in that you get tips on how to descend etc., (soft knees, strong ankles, arm positioning etc) but its still DEFINITELY worth ur while going just for the saturday- that's when you do all the cycling, running and kayaking.. you run 12km of the 16km course, and cycle about 30km, then do the kayak in full as well.. i thought it was most definitely worthwhile- it really takes the 'fear' element out of it on the day- you know what youv'e got ahead of you!
    thanks , will try do the sat anyway , what wave you in ?

2nd or 3rd i think.. must check..

just watching those poor dudes on wimbledon who are in their 10th hour of play thinking i'll be as knackered looking as them by the time i get to CP on aug 21- they look delirious!!

• Advertisement

2nd or 3rd i think.. must check..

just watching those poor dudes on wimbledon who are in their 10th hour of play thinking i'll be as knackered looking as them by the time i get to CP on aug 21- they look delirious!!
    i know , hope one of them dont break early on today ,well thats as equal in a sporting event you are ever goin to get , sorry that post is completely off the point !

Heard today that Gaelforce isn't finishing in Westport House this year, it will be finishing somewhere around the harbour instead.

Probably not a bad idea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

From their last email we are leaving from town also, seems Westport house is closed off now for GF :)

They will have a nice Pasta Stand now at the finish for us ;)

yop wrote: »
    From their last email we are leaving from town also, seems Westport house is closed off now for GF :)

They will have a nice Pasta Stand now at the finish for us ;)

Anything will be an improvement on last year anyway, let's face it. There wasnt a morcel of food by the time i got over the line at 4pm. If it's run as well as connemara adventure challenge was, it'll be a great event. 7.5 weeks away only- be gorra!

Anything will be an improvement on last year anyway, let's face it. There wasnt a morcel of food by the time i got over the line at 4pm. If it's run as well as connemara adventure challenge was, it'll be a great event. 7.5 weeks away only- be gorra!
    :eek: , need to get on the bike , going doin GF weekend , next weekend , was told 13km run in morn , think i will manage that and 40km in the afternoon , wonder should i get on the bike this week or just wait tilll after the weekend ? should i put my clips on the bike for the weekend or just ordinary pedals ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

:eek: , need to get on the bike , going doin GF weekend , next weekend , was told 13km run in morn , think i will manage that and 40km in the afternoon , wonder should i get on the bike this week or just wait tilll after the weekend ? should i put my clips on the bike for the weekend or just ordinary pedals ?

If you have toe clips and intend to use them on race day, makes sense to train with them. You're shoes will be muddy getting on the bike so toe clips will help to stop your feet slipping.

Regarding food, forget your bagels. Last year after the cock up at registration, I had to make do with a hamburger and chips at 2.30am for pre race fuelling. ;)

I'd be inclined to do a short spin (and i mean short, like 10km) just to get used to it, but i certainly wouldnt be doing anything long this week or your legs will be like lead for the training!

as for clips or pedals- go with whatever you're using in GF.. the sooner you start to replicate exact race day conditions, the better.. that goes for all kit, gear, nutrition.. i'm doing a hill run tonite (god help me in this muggy heat) and am going to take my first ever Gel- you are really not advised to start taking them on race day for first time, as they give a lot of people el die-whore-he-ha

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Regarding food, forget your bagels. Last year after the cock up at registration, I had to make do with a hamburger and chips at 2.30am for pre race fuelling. ;)

i always bring my own food to these things- i wouldnt risk something like that happening to me, that's a right balls.. i always cook wholemeal pasta with loads of stuff in it- chickpeas, other good protein- and bring it cold in a tupperware- have learnt the hard way that otherwise you end up not having time to eat properly or cant find anything suitable!

For a 5 hour race, nutrition is crucial like. we're not talking a sprint triathlon here. It'll certainly make the experience a little easier- but that's just my view!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

Hi

I have signed up for the training weekend this weekend in Killary Adventure Centre. The programme includes a climb of Croagh Patrick on Sunday morning. Any idea how long this might take if I can't run it? I'm guessing I'll struggle to do anything more than a good walking pace uphill. Anyone else going there this weekend?

Up and down CP in about an hour I'd say, walking, no stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Patdusty2010

Does anyone know if many people watch this event and if so where is the best place to stand? I might do it next year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi all,

Im into the training this week and have done 70k on the bike over 2 or 3 spins. Im running 8k comfortably on the road so Im hoping to get the fitness up to a point where I can finish GaelForce. I want to be able to walk a bit of it and just finish the thing. I wont be trying to catch anyone who looks like they know what they're at :p

1 Question about my Hybrid bike.. the Giant FCR

FCR%20S%203%20225.jpg

The tyres on this are very thin. I did buy armadillos and I havent had any puncture trouble since I got them. Would these tyres be ok for Gaelforce bearing in mind that Im just trying to get around the course and wont be looking at my watch much!

Hi

I have signed up for the training weekend this weekend in Killary Adventure Centre. The programme includes a climb of Croagh Patrick on Sunday morning. Any idea how long this might take if I can't run it? I'm guessing I'll struggle to do anything more than a good walking pace uphill. Anyone else going there this weekend?
    hi youngatheart , im doin the GF weekend , will be arriving at morning , may stay sat night for climb up croagh patrick sunday , havent decided yet , make sure to introduce yourself to anyone that arrives sat morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

hi youngatheart , im doin the GF weekend , will be arriving at morning , may stay sat night for climb up croagh patrick sunday , havent decided yet , make sure to introduce yourself to anyone that arrives sat morning ;)
    Hi Seres,

Will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im into the training this week and have done 70k on the bike over 2 or 3 spins. Im running 8k comfortably on the road so Im hoping to get the fitness up to a point where I can finish GaelForce. I want to be able to walk a bit of it and just finish the thing. I wont be trying to catch anyone who looks like they know what they're at :p

1 Question about my Hybrid bike.. the Giant FCR

FCR%20S%203%20225.jpg

The tyres on this are very thin. I did buy armadillos and I havent had any puncture trouble since I got them. Would these tyres be ok for Gaelforce bearing in mind that Im just trying to get around the course and wont be looking at my watch much!

I'm in a similar boat. Finishing is the target - not racing :)

As for the bike - would I be right in saying it came with 28s? They should be fine - I'm doing to be doing the race in 32 slicks but anyone on road bikes will be on 28s or less. The only concern is the new famine road section. It's very stony. Make sure you pump up the tyres as hard as they will allow to avoid punctures. And bring a spare tube or two as well.

Macros42 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat. Finishing is the target - not racing :)

As for the bike - would I be right in saying it came with 28s? They should be fine - I'm doing to be doing the race in 32 slicks but anyone on road bikes will be on 28s or less. The only concern is the new famine road section. It's very stony. Make sure you pump up the tyres as hard as they will allow to avoid punctures. And bring a spare tube or two as well.

Tyre choice is going to be very important this year, if your getting punchers on them now you can be 100% sure you will get them on this course. I used a similar bike last year and will be using it again this year, I think hybrid is the best choice with the right typre. I'm using kevlar coated puncher resistant tyres. Have had them two years now with no punchers.

Note: I saw a pic of the new route cycling to the foot of the mountain, its very bad, lots of sharp coarse gravel, I'm sure there will be a lot of people changing tyre tubes here.

Hi Seres,

Will do!
    did they give a list of stuff you need to bring for the weekend ?

if not what you bringin ?:o

did they give a list of stuff you need to bring for the weekend ?

if not what you bringin ?:o

i dont think they gave me a list last yr- but bring whatever youre going to bring for GF itself.. bring your camelbak, and where possible, the same kit your'e going to use.. u dont need the blanket and whistle or any of that ****e.. waterproofs as 4cast aint great. bug spray- i got eaten alive last yr.. sun lotion- prepare for all seasons! cycle helmut obviously..

drop them an email sure- they're very helpful like- adventure@killary.com

here's a list of the type of stuff that they generally advise you to bring...

http://www.killaryadventure.com/en/essential_info/what_to_bring_on.html

• Advertisement

Definitely bring bug spray for out in Killary, always get ate alive out there with midges!!!!

We were stopped out there for 2 minutes a few weeks ago, just grabbing the bikes outta the van, it was torture, scratching the legs then for ages on the way from Killary to westport.

Advertisement