Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Magazine Subs

Options
  • 08-04-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

I buy GQ magazine from time to time in Easons at a cost of approx €6. I decided to have a look at the subscription route for possible savings. Firstly a 12 month sub for UK residents is £29.99 with a free gift. The same sub for an Irish address is £80 with no mention of a free gift.
    So therefore there is absolutely no incentive to subscribe from Ireland. I'd love to know the full breakdown for the £50 differential also. What a joke!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You should look some more, I think some third party places do subscription services, i.e. a UK retailer buys at their price and sells on to outside the UK for cheaper than the original company would.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

rubadub wrote: »
    You should look some more, I think some third party places do subscription services, i.e. a UK retailer buys at their price and sells on to outside the UK for cheaper than the original company would.

That sounds like tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eth0_ wrote: »
    That sounds like tax evasion.
    Why? If I was in the UK I could subscribe to the magazine and forward them onto the OP for a smaller fee. I would be paying UK VAT on them. The OP should be posting in bargain requests, I think I might have seen one company doing it in bargain alerts before.

This practise would be similar to the likes of supervalu getting in heineken intended for the scottish market. They sell these cans for less than the irish sourced ones even though they are 5% while the ones here are 4.3%. I am sure they are paying all the relevant VAT & duty it is just that heineken fix the prices in different markets, just like these magazine companies are trying to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

UK advertisers place a huge emphasis on paid UK subscriptions, therefore you will see any number of offers for UK subscriptions to all sorts of UK magazines.

As most of the advertisers have no interest in the Irish market even if the product is available in the Irish market, (probably different distributir) they see no value in the overseas sales.

Therefore UK subscribtions are subsidised by advertising and overseas subscriptions are not.

Advertisement