Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Belfast safe?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Nadnerb111

Hey All

Just want to say thanks for the many helpful posts and the good advice. Much appreciated.

Just a word for John368 and one or two others who seemed to think that this post was an opportunity for them to dump their arrogance onto an internet forum. If you took offence at the title of my post then that is entirely your responsibility. I certainly didnt intend offence, and its seems quite strange to me that you would do so. Then again drama is itself often a compulsive behaviour for the bored. I grew up, and spent my life, in Dublin. I absolutely adore my city. I have trevelled quite a bit, my wife is German, and I know many non-Irish. When asked by these people about Dublin I obviously try to give them the best imprssion of my city. However I always throw in some common sense advice: such as dont go to such and such an area alone at night, mind your valuables, be careful in certain parts of the city centre, etc etc. If a protestant/loyalist/unionist from NI asked me I would give them the same advice, but obviously I would tailor it to suit their identity, and the extent that I would tailor it would depend on their age, gender, reason for visiting Dublin, etc. So, for example, if a group of young men where coming here and if they were used to wearing, for example, Rangers sports gear, then I would tell them to avoid places in the city centre as Summerhill at night, or the Sherrif Street area. I would advise them to tone down the identity markers if they were visiting places such as Finglas, Ballyfermot, Crumlin, etc etc. Why? Because within these areas there exista two very small, but quite dangerous, goroups of mostly male youth. Group one are dissident republicans, group two are bored/stoned/drunk aggressive young people looking for any reason to kick the **** out of a passer by. Simple as that. As a guy who has never been to Belfast I was looking for a similar peice of advice. It is ridicilous to ignore the social and political nature of an area that you plan to visit, safety is a priority. When in Barcelona I saw some of the roughest streets you could imagine at night, as I was a guest of a local I was fine. So John368 your post was unintelligent.

To all other posters I thank you very much indeed.

Nadnerb

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭John368

Nadnerb111

Look I really wish you all the best. I think that you really should concentrate on the course and university rather than the city. If I came across as arrogant, well that is because I am proud of this wee city. Maybe I am bored and have too much time on my hands. I am a consulting engineer in the construction industry so can you blame me?

Again, I wish you all the best and if you do decide to choose Queens I am sure the people of Belfast will welcome you and dispell you fears.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Nadnerb111 wrote: »

Just a word for John368 and one or two others who seemed to think that this post was an opportunity for them to dump their arrogance onto an internet forum.

I have read John368's posts...he doesn't come across as arrogant at all...infact his are some of the most sensible post of all on this thread!!!

John368 wrote: »
    I am proud of this wee city.

And so we should be John368!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Nadnerb111

Thanks John368

You have my apology too. Had an awful day yesterday and my social skills werent the best.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Nad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Now that we're all getting along maybe we can organise a boardsie night out in Belfast....I think Nadner is buying ;)

(tiny mod note - try and take issue with the post and not the poster)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mullyfive0

Hi Nadner.

I'm a Dub, been living in Belfast for guts of a year now. City is great, people are great, women are gorgeous.

Regarding safety, I've seen nothing that I haven't seen in Dublin (Alot worse on a Sat night in Dublin. Alot) ... City is small enough, running joke is that everywhere is 10mins away. Plus its cheap as chips ... Food, drink, cinema, gigs. All good.

I've had no problems up here regarding being a Southener, & if anything, I've had more issues from people from the Nationalist side of things than Unionist .... I'm neutral on the politics & just want to get on with things, but that isn't good enough for some folk. C'est la vie.

I live close to Sandy Row/The Village ... I've never had need to go there, so I leave it well enough alone. An earlier post said you may accidentally end up there, but if you stick to the main streets, you'll be fine as its stightly off the beaten path.

If you're going to be living in South Belfast, near the college, I'd avoid the RugbyAve/University Ave area ... they're grand, but given you're in your 30s (like myself) you'll find to the young students in the area quite grating.

Head for Stranmillis or the Lisburn Rd ... Close to the college, but far enough away from the first years.

Welcome to Belfast ... You'll never leave ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭John368

Nadnerb111

Thanks for being so gratious.

I think mullyfive0 has some good info. there.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 harley75

I'm going to be moving to Belfast for work. Just wondering what kind of welcome to expect and what to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

harley75 wrote: »
    I'm going to be moving to Belfast for work. Just wondering what kind of welcome to expect and what to avoid.

Safe to say you'll get a very warm welcome. Just don't take sides, keep an open mind, and if you've got sweets remember to share them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 mullyfive0

harley75 wrote: »

They'll have big banners out for you. Balloons too.

Avoid drinking Harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

pow wow wrote: »
    Now that we're all getting along maybe we can organise a boardsie night out in Belfast....I think Nadner is buying ;)

(tiny mod note - try and take issue with the post and not the poster)

Are there many active boardsies in Belfast?

A few hoverers....ever increasing by the looks of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

el tel wrote: »
    Are there many active boardsies in Belfast?

herself got a nursing job up there about 6 weeks ago, got a nice little place just off the Lisburn. i've been popping up every week since for a couple of days - petrol costs are killing me:(. i suppose that makes me something of an active Belfast boardsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Soil Mechanic

It would also be interesting to know the number of Belfast-istani (plural?)who are active boardsies?

Or is that Belfast-istani 's ?

Focknowslikebutshurewhaddehell, ehh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

I would be a resident Belfastistani...but am not a born and bred Shafty. I am Norn Iron Culchie and proud though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sammydavis1983

Hey All,

Visited the beautiful city of Belfast at the weekend. It has so much to offer with the amazing architecture, sights, food , shopping, etc. My boyfriend and I drove around the city to view famous murals. Forgive my ignorance in relation to the politics and troubles in the north but we drove down a loyalist street and found that we were being stared at. Now would a southern reg car cause insult in these areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Hey All,

Visited the beautiful city of Belfast at the weekend. It has so much to offer with the amazing architecture, sights, food , shopping, etc. My boyfriend and I drove around the city to view famous murals. Forgive my ignorance in relation to the politics and troubles in the north but we drove down a loyalist street and found that we were being stared at. Now would a southern reg car cause insult in these areas.

LOL if it was auld ones don't even bother, the auld ones here just stare at you no matter what you are at (its a farmer tradition), people here are very ignorant though if you come in a foreign car or accent they will look at you.. just nosy, or possibly because a southern car is a rare occurence here some people may not have even seen them as i've only seen one in town about a couple of times.

Not an insult no, but they might have thought you were lost :p. Glad you had a nice time.

Forgive my ignorance in relation to the politics and troubles in the north but we drove down a loyalist street and found that we were being stared at. Now would a southern reg car cause insult in these areas.

I live in a protestant area...have lived in the same house for over 20 years...people still stare in at me in streets near to where I live...even in other protestant areas or catholics areas or mixed areas...some people just seem to be nosey!!! They blatantly just look right in!!!
    As long as they didn't shout anything or throw anything...I wouldn't be concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Paul4As wrote: »
    I live in a protestant area...have lived in the same house for over 20 years...people still stare in at me in streets near to where I live...even in other protestant areas or catholics areas or mixed areas...some people just seem to be nosey!!! They blatantly just look right in!!!
    As long as they didn't shout anything or throw anything...I wouldn't be concerned.

I've seen you once and couldn't stop staring either :eek:

nah - just kidding, a bit of the auld Belfast banter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chipchop

this is a good post, i 2 have been offered a chance to study at queens.. a masters, and you hear so many storys its not funny, the strangest one i heard was that local catholics dislike us southerners because as far as there concerned we abandoned them!!!... now correct me if im wrong that sounds outrageous, and in anycase i belive that you only find trouble if you go lookin for it!, im from 'stab city' and i havent seen as much as a fight on nights out or in the city growing up not to mind a stabing, but they do occur in certain areas where you wouldnt wonder into, im sure (and again i could be wrong in the sense that trouble doesnt occur in the areas of belfast people refer to as trouble spots) that this is the case in belfast two, in anycase ive gotten the advice of people who have went there and they have loved every minute of it and say its a great city!, ive yet to decide to go there (i have an offer in ul 2) but queens certainly appeals to me and is edging my vote at the moment.

now on to more important issues? student life, nightlife... any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

chipchop wrote: »
    If you can get pow wow when she's sober she'll be able to give great advise based on on her personal experiences :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

this is a good post, i 2 have been offered a chance to study at queens.. a masters, and you hear so many storys its not funny, the strangest one i heard was that local catholics dislike us southerners because as far as there concerned we abandoned them!!!... now correct me if im wrong that sounds outrageous, and in anycase i belive that you only find trouble if you go lookin for it!, im from 'stab city' and i havent seen as much as a fight on nights out or in the city growing up not to mind a stabing, but they do occur in certain areas where you wouldnt wonder into, im sure (and again i could be wrong in the sense that trouble doesnt occur in the areas of belfast people refer to as trouble spots) that this is the case in belfast two, in anycase ive gotten the advice of people who have went there and they have loved every minute of it and say its a great city!, ive yet to decide to go there (i have an offer in ul 2) but queens certainly appeals to me and is edging my vote at the moment.

was in belfast a few times. people almost too friendly.

some catholics have chips on their shoulders and are full time IRA supporters.thats their perogative but not very appealing.
    the prods are okay, but its best to avoid politics, not that it is a good idea to talk politics anywhere with stangers. the bonfires around the 12th are best avoided. thats an offical warning from the tourist office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chipchop

Fuinseog wrote: »
    was in belfast a few times. people almost too friendly.

some catholics have chips on their shoulders and are full time IRA supporters.thats their perogative but not very appealing.
    the prods are okay, but its best to avoid politics, not that it is a good idea to talk politics anywhere with stangers. the bonfires around the 12th are best avoided. thats an offical warning from the tourist office.

is that chips on there shoulders toward southerners or just in general?... ah ya im not big into the politics myself so that shouldnt be an issue, im aware of the history and all that but im open minded towards everyone, the 12th of when? any areas that are best to avoid? and is it safe to have a southern reg car parked up outside a student house?? (sorry if that seems offensive t ask im just curious:o)

You'll be fine :) Like any city if you're looking for trouble you'll find it, but I certainly wouldn't be concerned about being from the Republic and moving up for uni. The postgrad cohort are very mixed, much more so than the undergrads, and you'll find quite a lot of them are from down home too.

As for nightlife, it's great. You could quite happily exist in the student areas without needing to venture outside them, but there's loads to do in the city centre too. Eats/drinks out are cheap, public transport isn't great but most things are in walking distance (and taxis are cheap enough).

You should hop up for a visit and see for yourself. I loved the UL campus but hated Limerick and ended up loving Queen's and Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

the strangest one i heard was that local catholics dislike us southerners because as far as there concerned we abandoned them!!!...

There's banter about it but thats about it. Was watchin Ireland V Cyprus in a pub on the falls road last september and the locals were extremely friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I am heading up to the University for a gig in Mandela hall in a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me where exactly in the University its located and is there parking on the University grounds?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭I dont know

Mandela hall is straight across the road from the Lanyon Building, thats the main University building that you'll have seen loads of times.
    heres a map
    http://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/media/Media,167006,en.pdf
    Park on any of those streets shown on the map for free. The nearest car park is probably at the city hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

was thinking about going to Belfast this weekend for a last minute break, but some of what has been said here (I'd be driving a southern reg), plus riots in recent days have put me off a little. Am I being overly cautious? I like Belfast as a city, but any time I've been there it's been as part of a group of lads wheras now I'd just be with herself. Not sure what to do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement