Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do if you won sats 15million jackpot?

• 08-04-2010 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭GwayGal

I'd
    Buy two tickets to OZ :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I'd lie naked on the East Link bridge in happiness!

Then:

I'd buy a nice house in Dublin, some kind of car, have a month long holiday in Hawaii! then I'd give my auntie in Auckland 2 million.

Give my sis and brother 1 million each, give a few million to various charitys (Mainly Irish Cancer Society) and split the rest between me and my mam.

Also, I'd take a couple of thousand out with me, take a walk around Dublin and give 50 to each homeless person I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Fago! wrote: »
    I'd lie naked on the East Link bridge in happiness!

Then:

I'd buy a nice house in Dublin, some kind of car, have a month long holiday in Hawaii! then I'd give my auntie in Auckland 2 million.

Give my sis and brother 1 million each, give a few million to various charitys (Mainly Irish Cancer Society) and split the rest between me and my mam.

Also, I'd take a couple of thousand out with me, take a walk around Dublin and give 50 to each homeless person I see.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Emigrate...

Problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Stuff half of it in a few bank accounts and squirrel it away for t'future.
    The rest I'd use to buy an old tea-house in the Japanese countryside (I'm thinking Okinawa or possibly the old tea quarter of Kyoto), a sexy meat-warehouse-turned-chic-loft-apartment in New York and maybe a villa in the south of France.

After that, I'd tackle my jelly belly by getting lipo and a personal trainer, get my teeth fixed up and hire my own personal pilot/chauffer.

Then I'd spent the rest of my life jetting between the 3 properties on private jet, enjoying a travelling lifestyle, good food, fun and company.

As for giving money to my family? Well, I'm honor bound to buy my mother an apartment in Barcelona should I ever win the Lotto. I'll set them up in cosy digs and give them a few bob to live comfortably-on the condition they don't act the maggot and turn into leeches. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i'd open up my own donkey rescue centre and spend all day hugging them cos they all ways look so sad
    and i'd give a good amount away to charity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

If I did win it would be me and my granny winning(she gives me the money to buy tickets) She will probably insist on giving me most of it.

I would pay off debts. I would give one brother money to pay off his loan and have enough money to live off until he finished college. My other brother I would give him money(probably not as much since he has a job) but I would keep some for him incase he lost his job.

I would pay for college, hopefully I'll get in.

I'd go to Germany to visit Fery.

I'd go on holiday with friends (probably south america)

If my car broke I'd probably buy a new one.

I'd buy the cat lots of toys, scratching/climbing trees:o

I'd give some to charity.

When I go to college I might buy an apartment.

So far that's not spending much of it but I wouldn't want to spend to much of it because I would use it to get myself through college and set up somewhere after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Id add a few bob to it and clear my debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

if i did win it i'd spend at least a week giggling like a looney :D

I'd pay my friends loads of money to do the most ridiculous and humiliating acts possible.

• Advertisement

I would stage the ultimate paint ball battle with a couple of hundred friends in some class location. That new Band of Brothers sequel would not be able to hold a candle to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I would take 20 grand, go up north and buy as much drink as I could possibly get with it.

I would throw a party with said drink and a really good live band. (Probably the Corona's) or 200 of my closest friend!! :)

Then I would do a Bilbo Baggins, I would simply disappear. Live my life whatever way I want.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Pay off my house and loans, set up a trust fund for my niece, donate money to my old research group.
    Pay off my parents loans and mortgage.
    Buy a house somewhere hot, buy a house with land near dublin, donate money to the galapagos island conservation.

Oh and people should remember you can only gift up to a certain amount, then the government takes a load off you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Go into work, call everyone into the staff room, tell them they're all stupid c*nts and walk out.

Then I'd invest it and stuff and spend the rest of my life having an absolute ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I would hire some mercanaries to take back our towns/cities from the drug dealing scum that innocent people are living in fear of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

have the biggest piss up of my life then pay off my familys debts eg houses,cars what ever they ahve give them 500,000 each to do what they liked with.buy private jet take my closest frieds on a round the word trip all on me buy a few houses cars boats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Travel london to magadan overland :D spend most of my days traveling buying a few pads worldwide to relax in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭GwayGal

lil'bug wrote: »
    if i did win it i'd spend at least a week giggling like a looney :D

Me too, I hope I win

Go into work, call everyone into the staff room, tell them they're all stupid c*nts and walk out.

Haahaa f**King class plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Ginny wrote: »
    Oh and people should remember you can only gift up to a certain amount, then the government takes a load off you.

ill try remember this on sat when i win :D

id pay off my mams mortgage or buy her somewhere new, and get her a new car.

id give money to my 2 bros and sisters, possibly buy them a house/car/something.

id take my friends on a big holiday somewhere.
    and maybe have a big party too.

then id put a big chunk of it in savings while i did some big travelling :)

• Advertisement

Well sombody going to win it.
    How do ye pick ya numbers? I go for bad numbers based around some loss. I know its sad but Iv won a few hundred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

I would Clear all my debts and my boyfriends debts, Buy a dog :D Go to my dad and hand him a cheque that would clear his debts ( the look on his face would be amazing !) Buy a house and travel, travel, travel. Set up trust fund for my godson and my brothers ! Give money to charity ( Mainly cancer and suicide prevention ) oh and go to work and spend the day saying EXACTLY what i think of people ** Evil Laugh ** :p Seeing as i only ever do a Quick Pick i reckon i have a great chance :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

lonad wrote: »
    I would hire some mercanaries to take back our towns/cities from the drug dealing scum that innocent people are living in fear of

Im really liking that one :)

Id sort the family of course, make sure they'd have nothing to worry about.
    Organised a holiday for both my family and friends, somewhere cool like orlando florida, suits everyone of all ages.
    Sort myself out a house, the rest honestly i wouldnt want and
    I would donate on an individual level rather than through a charity - eg: hospital equipment/medicines etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I would pledge a large donation towards software for Boards members to be limited to only one rolleyes symbol a day... subject to their history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Fuck that. Would hate to win that much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Lia_lia wrote: »

Seriously , I have often thought that but then I think of all the good things I could do with it. I would love to be able to change peoples lives and be in the position to help others get back on track.

How the **** did you get past the swear filter!?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

1) Quit work
    2) Book flights to somewhere in Europe
    3) Lodge money in bank
    4) Backpack around Europe for 3 months
    5) Money to parents and siblings
    6) Money to friends who dont have jobs
    7) Buy an apartment in Dublin
    8) Buy a car
    9) Travel the world
    The list could go on and on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well you could just hold on to what you want, then give the rest to charity/family/friends. I wouldn't want anywhere near that much money either, and would probably be more than a little overwhelmed by it if I got it, but I don't see what there is to "hate" about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I've already spent the money :D

now all I have to do is win !!!

Seriously tho ..... would hire a team of mercinary snipers to take out the current government (obviously nothing to link me to them...ahem...ahem)
    and .... disappear into the shadows ...travelling to random places throughout the world. (of course - financially taking care of family members)

GwayGal wrote: »
    I'd
    Buy two tickets to Paradise, won't you pack your bags and leave tonight :)

FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i would just pack my bags and get as far away from tallaght as possible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I just don't like money.
    Fago! wrote: »
    How the **** did you get past the swear filter!?

Magic! (it's kinda obvious, no?!)

• I could spend it no problem. First thing I'd do is pay off my massive student loan. Then I'd have driving lessons and buy a shiny new car. Then I'd buy a nice house in north London. Then I'd do an amazing round the world trip. That would be most of the money gone. I also like to think I'd give a chunk to charidee and of course I would give some to my mammy and daddy and grandparents and so on.

• Advertisement

I just don't like money.

Magic! (it's kinda obvious, no?!)

No tell me. Waaaaah!

Edit: gottit. Didn't look like the u was small on my laptop, only for I'm on mobile I can see your secrets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

- Go on a serious bit of interrailing, with a lot of time spent in amsterdams finest coffeeshops.
    - I would buy every book in the science section in Hodges and Figgis.
    - Pay off my college loan.
    - Buy a seriously swanky pad near James' hospital.
    - Buy a low rider, and travel across the U.S ( I will have to bribe whoever is sitting in on my driving test, but I will have enough money for that too.)
    - Buy one of those volkswagon mini vans and travel along the west coast of Ireland. Stop at every pub along the way to sample their guinness.
    - Pay someone to take notes in lectures/sit my exams while Im away travelling.
    - Might buy the girlfriend a pair of shoes If I had anything left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Create a company called ACME and make all that great shít they have in the road runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pay someone a lot of money to write my masters thesis, and head off travelling straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Hunt road runners at the weekends, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

15 million? Invest 6. The interest would keep me in beer money. With the rest? Pay off a couple of mates mortgages. Family? Beyond immediate. Fcuk em. Ditto with charities, I'll make my own mind up there thanks. Though sponsoring a giant electronic Trocaire box in the major cities of Ireland where people could drop money in passing appeals.

Build a gaff to my own design. Actually two. One in Ireland and one in north west Spain or Greece. Browse the auction houses to build a collection of cool shít I would enjoy and then leave to the nation when I peg it.

Sponsor the arts, especially younger types starting out. Cars? well Ive only one arse so can can only sit in one at a time. Nothing mad there anyway. Though a mclaren f1 would appeal.... :)

Travel. See new places, explore new cultures and get busy with some of the locals :D Avoid tax like the plague. Learn new stuff. Do more arty stuff. Build a workshop, all tooled up so I never have to ask "have I got the kit to make what I just thought of making". Enjoy, experience, reflect. Rinse and repeat.

To those types who say "eee I couldnt give up work", I say you're a moron who has bought into the notion that work is all there is. Work sets you free. Yea interesting idea that one.... I favour the ancient Greek ideal, leisure and contemplation and experience is what this short life is all about.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Wibbs wrote: »
    15 million? Invest 6. The interest would keep me in beer money. With the rest? Pay off a couple of mates mortgages. Family? Beyond immediate. Fcuk em. Ditto with charities, I'll make my own mind up there thanks. Though sponsoring a giant electronic Trocaire box in the major cities of Ireland where people could drop money in passing appeals.

Build a gaff to my own design. Actually two. One in Ireland and one in north west Spain or Greece. Browse the auction houses to build a collection of cool shít I would enjoy and then leave to the nation when I peg it.

Sponsor the arts, especially younger types starting out. Cars? well Ive only one arse so can can only sit in one at a time. Nothing mad there anyway. Though a mclaren f1 would appeal.... :)

Travel. See new places, explore new cultures and get busy with some of the locals :D Avoid tax like the plague. Learn new stuff. Do more arty stuff. Build a workshop, all tooled up so I never have to ask "have I got the kit to make what I just thought of making". Enjoy, experience, reflect. Rinse and repeat.

To those types who say "eee I couldnt give up work", I say you're a moron who has bought into the notion that work is all there is. Work sets you free. Yea interesting idea that one.... I favour the ancient Greek ideal, leisure and contemplation and experience is what this short life is all about.

Best answer, it was good until you said "get busy with the locals" then it became awesome! D: ! Quite realistic and well thought out actually!

I'd buy lots of expensive little things...like a Martin D28.

I would invest enough that I would never be without money.

I would party hard for the rest of my life.....which would be severely shortened by my partying.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Get absolutely ossified off my ass. Then when the monster hangover subsides:

Pay off the mortgage, loan and other debts.
    Give a good pile of it to my parents, my OH's parents, our siblings etc.
    Give another pile to charities. (Special Olympics, Down Syndrome Ireland, Blue Cross and a few others).
    Book the best honeymoon ever, including chartering a private jet to bring us so we can bring the dog in the cabin with us (she'll get a nice reclining seat too!).
    Get a massive camper van (like one of those ones that's bigger than a house and has a speedboat garage in it) and drive it around Australia, then America, then Europe.
    Buy a 'cafe' in Amsterdam, and spend at least one weekend a month 'relaxing' there :)
    Might do my bit helping recapitalise my employer too ;):p
    Make a point of throwing a massive family reunion party every year with as much food and drink laid on as people could consume!
    When we got home from travelling, I'd build a big house on the mountain behind where I live now. And it would have a massive driveway with Cherry Blossom trees all the way up, and automatic gates, and it would have one of those kitchens where you can text it to tell it to make the dinner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

do the hole fammily thing, look after my close friends...
    Invest some, get my hoof house or is it huff :confused:

Id buy my friend an M5 pay tax for 3 years and insurance, as well as a dyners card for fuel, kinda a deal we have if either of us win the lotto...

Maybe bye some land and builkd a huof house if the council would let me, Id open a restuant speachilisng in sea food.

id go on a years leave to india to you know learn how to medate and stuff cheack out the taj mahal learn about indian cooking, theres a couple of other countrys id do that to. Moroco being another one.

Id bye a P51 mustang, and learn how to fly it... and maybe a a nice yacht.

give the dyslexic trust in ireland some money and pay for them to have a nice building, and mor emoney for research....

I'd think about making a company that could create jobs and keep its buisness with in ireland...

Id bye a land rover ambulance and convert it into a camper you cant park on the side of moutain in a vw, s 2000, couple of other cars I like,

Oh id buy lots of new sneakers to, and maybe set up my oen clothing label

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Organise a 14 day "mystery tour" for my mates. Except instead of a bus, with a plane. And instead of Ireland, the world.

I'd need to put a lot of research into it and work out a route so we could do the 10 best "things" in the world, and have the most awesomist accomodation and nights out sorted for when we arrive in each destination.

Stop no 1. would be Argentina where we could go helicopter-drop skiing/snowboarding. Argh, im getting excited thinking of all the possibilities from that point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Wibbs wrote: »

Much of your post I would agree with. Lots more travel, houses/apartments in at least 3 countries, help my parents with their mortgage and a decent gift for my siblings. Make a significant donation to one or maybe two favoured charities.

But work? Doesn't have to be hard and something you don't enjoy. I like my job and I wouldn't leave my company in the lurch. It's small and I've helped build it up. But a change in work is something I'd love to do. Like sponsor or buy a struggling professional sports team. Set up a company/restaurant where you don't have to go in and grind every day but you can have an active interest in how things are going. I'd love to spend 6 months just on the VIP circuit of a motorsport (haven't decided which one yet ;))!

Work and entertainment can blend quite easily when you are that wealthy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

€15 million.

Firstly pay off he mortgage 250k
    Completely renovate my mams house 100k
    Rent an apartment for my brother for 2-3 years 30k
    Buy him a decent car 20k
    Buy me a new house - anything up to 1 million.
    Buy me me a couple of cars and the girlfriend 150k

Holiday to NY with me, the GF, friends say 20k on transport + accommodation.

Holiday to Seychelles 10K

Have 3 really good friends and we've all said if we ever won the lotto we'd buy each other a house, as we now have houses I'd pay their mortgages off 600k

Sub Total €2,010,150

Buy the girlfriends dad a super new tractor €50k
    Buy her dad a 4 x 4 40k
    Buy her mam a new car 40k

say 50k for each of her sisters 250K

Trust fund for her 3 of her cousins 90k (total)
    Trust fund for 7 of my cousins 210k (total)

Sub Total 2,690,150

Apartment in NY 1 Million
    Log cabin in Rockies 500k

Suppose 100k for parents and my bro 400K

Total 3,240,150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

What would I do with 15 million euro? Move outta Smithfield where my neighbours are currently having a screaming match on their balcony. :rolleyes:

I'd buy an apartment in New York, 'cause I love it there. It'd be really pretty. It'd have white-washed wooden floors and white walls, although some vintage wallpaper would not go astray. There'd be a really big kitchen and endless baking supplies. It would have a darkroom too, for processing film, 'cause why not?!

I'd buy a really old camper van and then my friends and I would just drive around Ireland and every night, we'd sit on a beach or something, wrapped in checkered blankets and drink champagne (just 'cause I'd be so rich!) and we'd talk about the days we had so much fun even though we had no money.

I'd give my parents loads of money. They really deserve it. I'd want them to just spend it on themselves, go on holidays together and not always put everyone else before themselves. It'd be nice to see them chill out because they both work really hard.

My grandad, well, he has done everything for me really, from teaching me how to talk to parallel parking to what it really means to love someone. If we were speaking in terms of money only, I already owe him an absolute fortune, but for everything else, I honestly don't think I could ever repay him. I'd start with an Aero though, he loves them! :)

Oh, I'd buy a lot of stuff in Lush too and a really nice bath, and I'd spend hours lying in bubbles!

Oh, and I'd hit Ikea hard!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'd give 500,000 each to family on both sides (in-laws included) so that'd be 3.5 Mill. Then I'd do up the house and garden and maybe buy the field beside me to build a big car shed so I could work on building my own kit car and bat cave. :)

I would give up work most deffo and would become a local philanthropist supporting business in the town I live beside. Might even buy a site in the middle of town and turn it into a green recreational area for families (with a great big plaque with my name on it :) )

Besides that, I'd have to get myself the best grand tourer out there (maybe the Ferrari 599) and traypse across Europe for a few months.

Ahhhh...

Must actually buy a ticket now tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Pay off my brothers and parents debts
    Buy my brothers new houses and new cars
    Buy my parents a villa in Spain and France
    Buy my salon
    Transform my salon into what I want it to be
    Build my house that I wanna build so badly
    Put money in trust for my niece
    Go sort my nanny out - get her out of the kip of a hospital and into a better one
    Sort my family out!
    Tell all my so called cnuts of friends that Im loaded and they aint getting any :D
    Sort someone out to mind the salon while I take a month long holiday then back to work in my amazing new salon :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement