Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce/Comm International??

Options
  • 08-04-2010 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi I've of course looked at the prospectus but I can't find out if with commerce international are the business modules done through the chosen language or are the language and business aspects kept separate?
    Also are the hours halved for each ( language vs commerce) or doubled compared to the normal commerce?!
    And also, I was looking into doing French as the language, but then since English is so widely spoken is it that useful in the business world compared to Chinese or Russian?
    And lastly, how much of commerce is business vs accounting? I don't do accounting for the leaving and prefer business so if I'm not the biggest fan of numbers would commerce be difficult/too focused on accounting to be of interest?

So yeah if anyone could answer any of those questions it would be great, what
    the prospectus offers is quite limited in some respects, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deco1610

Hi I've of course looked at the prospectus but I can't find out if with commerce international are the business modules done through the chosen language or are the language and business aspects kept separate?
    Also are the hours halved for each ( language vs commerce) or doubled compared to the normal commerce?!
    And also, I was looking into doing French as the language, but then since English is so widely spoken is it that useful in the business world compared to Chinese or Russian?
    And lastly, how much of commerce is business vs accounting? I don't do accounting for the leaving and prefer business so if I'm not the biggest fan of numbers would commerce be difficult/too focused on accounting to be of interest?

So yeah if anyone could answer any of those questions it would be great, what
    the prospectus offers is quite limited in some respects, thanks!

You do the business module through English. Only the core language module is done through your chosen language. Basically, in each semester you do 3 business modules (already chosen for you) 2 language modules (i cant speak for other languages but for spanish its 1 core language and 1 other literature course) And then 1 elective module. So basically, you're doing a half-commerce half-arts degree, although you'll still get your BComm degree at the end of it.

How you see the use of doing french as your language is entirely up to you, but I'd have to say that in my opinion, those doing Chinese are at a much greater advantage than those doing other languages for a few reasons. 1) When they go abroad in 3rd year, they will be much more imersed in the language than they would if they were going to some university in europe. 2) They get more hours of Chinese and 3) Those with the chinese language look like they will command a much greater position in internatinal business than those who are fluent in any of the other languages. Thats just my opinion though

To answer your final question, I have to say that i was in the same position as you were. I never did accounting before, but UCD make it compulsory for the first 2 years. All that means, however, is that you do one financial accounting module in 2st semester 1st year, and one management accounting in 2nd semester 2nd year. That may have changed since I did it however.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

As I understand it, it will always be cheaper and better for a company to employ one of the many thousands and thousands of Chinese graduates who speak better English than you will speak Chinese, so that may not be the wisest choice for a future career. You should investigate it further before committing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Freakin4Leavin

Hmmm some good points to think about thanks! The main reason that would choose french is more so just to be able to continue the language while paring it with commerce and not necessarily for its usefulness in the business world, because I have heard too that chinese is hugely useful I just don't I'd be up for starting a language I'm really unfamiliar with from scratch.
    One thing I wondered was since there's less business modules than commerce students, and less language modules than pure arts, does it feel like too little or is it ok?

Advertisement