Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy or impossible?

• 08-04-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

Heya

I've a 2007 1.4L VW golf 80bhp

I may sell it for about €10k and swap for an older car, but bigger engine.

I love my car in every way other than the piece of sh!t engine and was wondering rather than getting a new car would it be possible to buy a new engine for it or trade in my engine?

I'm completely ignorant of how cars so if that even possible or feasible? could i get an engine for €2-3k?

I'd love 130bhp at the least preferably more. Could i swap for a VW 1.4TFSI or a 1.9TDI or does it even have to be a VAG engine?

Any ideas?

Crazy idea and i just need to get a proper car?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Crazy idea and i just need to get a proper car?!

Crazy is right. Get a proper car with a bigger engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not impossible to implant a new engine but it doesn't make sense, it would cost you less in both cash and effort to buy a bigger engined car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sell your golf. Add 2 to 3k and buy something with a nicer engine. By chopping in another engine, you will possibly be devaluing the golf too so it really would be a pointless exercise.

What you need is a 2006/2007 Golf GTi. Will cost alittle more than 2 to 3k though Im sure. It would be miles ahead of your golf in everyway no matter what engine you put in yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Its not impossible, its a fair bit of work putting in a bigger
    engine, plus you'll have to declare all for tax and insurance.
    Some engine specalists or indy mechanic i'm sure
    would help you out, you could make it an interesting project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have an easier option get your golf remapped to 130 bhp;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

SARASON wrote: »
    I have an easier option get your golf remapped to 130 bhp;)

His car is a 1.4 petrol :rolleyes:

His car is a 1.4 petrol :rolleyes:

Whats the rolleyes about you can remap any car like this last time i checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

lol, not nearly doubling a weedy 80bhp petrol engine's output you can't :)

Stick with the 10% to create a heady 88bhp :D

Whats the rolleyes about you can remap any car like this last time i checked

I cant see the power increases achieved in a 1.4 non turbo golf justifying the cost of an attempted remap. It is basically a good for nothing engine that 1.4

mickdw wrote: »
    I cant see the power increases achieved in a 1.4 non turbo golf justifying the cost of an attempted remap. It is basically a good for nothing engine that 1.4

You would make it better some bit, remapping is cheap now i got my audi remapped up to 280bhp for 300 euro

• Advertisement

Yes but OP said he wanted 130 bhp at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You would make it better some bit, remapping is cheap now i got my audi remapped up to 280bhp for 300 euro

Is it a TDI by any chance? Generally only engines with turbos can be remapped to put out noticeably more power.

Yes thats true i suppose best option is the gti option. Btw have you seen the RS5 some car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I always thought remapping was about 10% or something - so best i could get is 88bhp?!

If i could get over 100bhp it might be worth considering...but that'd be 25% doubt that's possible

Confab wrote: »
    Is it a TDI by any chance? Generally only engines with turbos can be remapped to put out noticeably more power.

It is. i forgot it hadnt a turbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik remaps only work best on engines with forced induction ie a turbo or supercharger. Trying to remap a n/a 1.4 litre 75bhp VAG lump is a waste of time and money, it would probably implode anyway given that this engine is so poor.

Better off trading up to something else imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I always thought remapping was about 10% or something - so best i could get is 88bhp?!

If i could get over 100bhp it might be worth considering...but that'd be 25% doubt that's possible

Volkswagen sell that engine (according to parkers at least) at 73, 80 and 88 bhp. I'd guess that an aggressive remap could reach low-mid 90s, but fuel economy and emissions would take a beating.

Get rid and get a car with a proper engine.

Amazed that VW still sold such underpowered motors in 07. The base 1.4 has improved by about 10 bhp in 10 years. Guess the plan was to live off the fat while they worked on the fsi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Yea remapping a N/A petrol is kinda pointless for the money.

GTi is still quite a big step up from the OP's current car.

Maybe a GT Golf and think about remapping that if you're not happy with it?
    Would be cheaper in the long run I imagine.

Btw have you seen the RS5 some car

Yes, looks fairly aggressive anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Confab wrote:
    It is. i forgot it hadnt a turbo

Just wondering there.. what Audi TDI did you get brought up to 280bhp?

• Advertisement

PaulKK wrote: »
    Just wondering there.. what Audi TDI did you get brought up to 280bhp?

A8 3.0 tdi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Is an aftermarket turbo or supercharger kit available for the golf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Volkswagen sell that engine (according to parkers at least) at 73, 80 and 88 bhp. I'd guess that an aggressive remap could reach low-mid 90s, but fuel economy and emissions would take a beating.

Wouldnt even think 90bhp is achievable.
    I would almost bet that a Dyno before and after would show zero increase.
    Superchips are quoting around 5bhp, which is margin of error numbers IMO.
    A8 3.0 tdi
    Yeah... you may as well be in a jet compared to his kite.

A8 3.0 tdi

Nice :)
    Swampy wrote: »

Theres a lad in Kilkenny with a mark IV with a turbo in it, and its not a GTI, i've seen it around a few times.
    I've no idea where you'd go about getting it done though.

Plus, I don't know if I'd go and stick a turbo on that particular 1.4 piece of VWs engineering ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

A8 3.0 Veeeeyyy nice :)

With a 80bhp petrol engine...the ONLY way you will get power gains would be by getting a higher lift cam shaft and porting out the head, porting the intake manifold and getting it all set up with a new engine management i.e e manage, This would cost thousands and would only gain the car MAX of 25 - 30bhp and would never pass the nct as with that set up the car would be running mega rich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

PaulKK wrote: »
    Theres a lad in Kilkenny with a mark IV with a turbo in it, and its not a GTI, i've seen it around a few times.

There loads of mark IV Golfs about with turbos in them tat aren't GTI's, I think there called TDI's ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Swampy wrote: »

We seem to be getting a little loolaa here.

Retrofitting turbos and superchargers with a 1.4 lump of petrol VAG isnt going to give you anything supertastical.
    Its a bad start lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Hi OP!

Aftermarket tuning is probably the best route to go down.
    Bigger cams, Bigger intake, Better Fuel pump and a Better exhaust plus a remap should see your release some extra power. shouldn't cost to much

wont cost as much either.
    If you wanted to go mental then you easily but a Stroker in there (I dunno if they make em for that engine though) to see even more power release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

grahambo wrote: »
    Hi OP!

Aftermarket tuning is probably the best route to go down.
    Bigger cams, Bigger intake, Better Fuel pump and a Better exhaust plus a remap should see your release some extra power. shouldn't cost to much

wont cost as much either.
    If you wanted to go mental then you easily but a Stroker in there (I dunno if they make em for that engine though) to see even more power release
    Aftermarket tuning is an excellent idea... if you're starting with a good engine.
    The OP, however, is not. Therefore, given the fact that he reckons his is worth around 10k, the best option is to find €1,950 and go here for a trade:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf-GTi/200-bhp/201013197417666/advert?channel=CARS
    Job done.
    And don't mind sh!t like "oh, but mine is newer" and all that crap. Remember, a plate is just a number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Whats the point of making the engine more powerful when the rest of the running gear is bog standard and may not handle the increased power and speed?
    Brakes are likely to be different, not just the calipers but the carriers as well.
    Suspension will need to be set up to handle increased speed as well, Anti-roll bars and the list goes on.

Just get the GTi or something similar they will have been designed from the factory for more power and will have the correspondingly better running gear to handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'm actually scared at some of the responses on this thread. Remapping a 1.4 80bhp Golf? Jesus Christ.

Some people in here need to go away and educate themselves before they post again.

draffodx wrote: »
    There loads of mark IV Golfs about with turbos in them tat aren't GTI's, I think there called TDI's ;):p

Very clever ;)

I did mention 1.4 though :)

Advertisement