Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this card dead ?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,
    thought it worth a post,
    have an xfx, 8800GTX card, have it a few years and it seems to be fried.
    the card itself is 'on' with fan running, and boot screen will appear, but won't display properly when windows starts to load- the screen being distorted & jagged to the point of it being unreadable with mostly horizontal/diagonal lines etc. it does same in another machine. I did pay a good bit at the time and I was just wondering if its in any way salvagable. the company can't say as its OOW.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Having the exact same problem as you Garathon with my 9800GX2
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055878544

Just wondering have you tried the baking method yet, Im a bit apprehensive about trying it but at this stage I've got nothing to loose I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Similar issues with and 8800GTX.
    Oven trick, works fine, play COH in 1920 no bother, Bio2, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Garathon

Man my mind is blown by this! I'm gonna give it a go this week, no loss if it doesn't work but shockingly it all makes sense!!!
    Thanks for the replies folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Let me know how you get on Garathon. Think mine might be still in warranty so going to wait until BFG Tech get back to me about a RMA.

• Advertisement

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Let me know how you get on Garathon. Think mine might be still in warranty so going to wait until BFG Tech get back to me about a RMA.

Garathon is a mate of mine, we baked it at 200C for 8 mins this afternoon and it works 100% now. Im sure he will post later after he defeats the venetians!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Awww... baking cakes in the oven together like a couple of wee kiddies! :D

Solitaire wrote: »
    Awww... baking cakes in the oven together like a couple of wee kiddies! :D

lol...a**hole!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

To be fair 8800GTX = epic cakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

jinx_portal_the-cake-is-a-lie.jpg?w=700

from fried to baked :)

• Advertisement

Hmm, same thing has happened the card again! time to look at cooling issues maybe :D
    Lets see if there really is cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 nVital

The "oven trick" is 100% tried, tested, and proven. I fixed an old 8400gs that had "lines" (called artifacts btw) and it worked.

10 mins @ 200C pre-heated. then cool for an hour or so. This just rebonds the solder.

Just take the heat sink off and any plastic connections covered neatly with tin foil.

Yup, thanks! see above I've tried once and yesterdays second baking worked a charm too !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

mmm hot chips!

Advertisement