Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpaid parking ticket

• 08-04-2010 8:17pm

Hey all, I moved house at the end of December and stopped driving.. Recently I found out there's been a parking ticket sent just about when I moved out issued by the guards.

It's obviously gone past it's 56 days... What are the consequences now?
    It's a very honest mistake..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Phone up or call to whomever issued the ticket, (council or guards), offer to make payment. If they take the payment, happy days.
    If they refuse the payment (unlikely), make a record of your offer to clear the fine, because if they take you to court over it and had refused your offer to pay, the judge will rule against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

unfortunately you should be expecting a court summons,just plea your case to the judge and explain the situation but dont be suprised if he slaps you with a bigger fine,same thing happened to me before although i "misplaced" the parking ticket and forgot about it

And what if I just forget about it? I really don't need this right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

And what if I just forget about it? I really don't need this right now...
    You'll get a summons to court.

Anan1 wrote: »
    You'll get a summons to court.

And then what happens? I'm fairly sure this has already been seen sent given the timeline.. I only have the initial 40euro fine that the old landlady kept for me.

What is the worst possible outcome of this? I wish I could just pay 40euro tomorrow but don't want to even face the music.. Childish I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Piratez

If you do get a summons to go to court will it go to your old address aswell as where the original fine went to ?

The car has never been registered to my home address.. Just a house in Galway.
    It's currently sitting back home untaxed waiting to be sold during the Summer.

Before I sell, I'm going to have to get the guards to sign that it has been of the road for however many months.. If they tell me then that I have an unpaid fine, I'll explain that I moved house, give them proof of that if they request it and see what happens.
    Good Idea/Bad Idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The car has never been registered to my home address.. Just a house in Galway.
    It's currently sitting back home untaxed waiting to be sold during the Summer.

Before I sell, I'm going to have to get the guards to sign that it has been of the road for however many months.. If they tell me then that I have an unpaid fine, I'll explain that I moved house, give them proof of that if they request it and see what happens.
    Good Idea/Bad Idea?

First of all. Even if you aren't using the car you have to tax it if its parked on a public road. If you try and get it geclared off the road and the garda notices the fine on the system you could find yourself in serious bother for making a false declaration. And if you ignore your summons you could also find a bench warrant issued for you and be arrested when you go in.

The fact that you never registered the car to your home address means it is your own fault you did not receive the original ticket. Your car should be registered to your current address.

They won't accept late payment of a fine. Your best bet is to go to court and tell the judge you didn't receive the original fine in time to pay it as you had moved recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Before I sell, I'm going to have to get the guards to sign that it has been of the road for however many months..
    Fwiw, you only need to do this if YOU are going to tax it again. If you sell it the new owner will only need to tax it from the date of purchase, they won't need the form signed by the gardaí.

k_mac wrote: »
    First of all. Even if you aren't using the car you have to tax it if its parked on a public road. If you try and get it geclared off the road and the garda notices the fine on the system you could find yourself in serious bother for making a false declaration. And if you ignore your summons you could also find a bench warrant issued for you and be arrested when you go in.

The fact that you never registered the car to your home address means it is your own fault you did not receive the original ticket. Your car should be registered to your current address.

They won't accept late payment of a fine. Your best bet is to go to court and tell the judge you didn't receive the original fine in time to pay it as you had moved recently.
    Well it's not on a public road, it's behind the house. My insurance was cancelled at the same time so that's proof it's been of the road..
    I guess I should look into this over the weekend..
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Fwiw, you only need to do this if YOU are going to tax it again. If you sell it the new owner will only need to tax it from the date of purchase, they won't need the form signed by the gardaí.

Interesting, I'll look into this.. I have no intention of driving the car again since I'll be off to Asia or Oz. Pity since it's a mint e30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

And then what happens? I'm fairly sure this has already been seen sent given the timeline.. I only have the initial 40euro fine that the old landlady kept for me.

What is the worst possible outcome of this? I wish I could just pay 40euro tomorrow but don't want to even face the music.. Childish I know.

Where is it then? Look into this! You don't want to miss a court summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Well it's not on a public road, it's behind the house. My insurance was cancelled at the same time so that's proof it's been of the road..
    I guess I should look into this over the weekend..

Interesting, I'll look into this.. I have no intention of driving the car again since I'll be off to Asia or Oz. Pity since it's a mint e30.

If your car was parked behind your house how did you get a ticket?

I got it the ticket while the car was in Galway, then I left the car home and moved house up here.. So I wasn't living at the registered address when the letter was sent.
    Landlady rang and said she had a letter for me from when I moved and that's that..

I could probably call up to the house and see if the people living there now have any more post..

Advertisement