Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail not selling tickets on trains

• 08-04-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Did anyone hear about this in advance? My girlfriend just got fined for not having a ticket on a train going from Sallins to portarlington (100euro).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish Rail haven't sold tickets on trains in an absolute age. If there is no open ticket desk you can get your ticket at your destination (you're not oblidged to use the ticket machines). If there is an open ticket desk you HAVE to get a ticket before boarding, no ifs no buts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

MYOB wrote: »
    Irish Rail haven't sold tickets on trains in an absolute age. If there is no open ticket desk you can get your ticket at your destination (you're not oblidged to use the ticket machines). If there is an open ticket desk you HAVE to get a ticket before boarding, no ifs no buts.

This was from Sallins which has a ticket machine (on the dublin side, which she was not on) But no desk...

You also need to argue your case with the trained monkey with the fixed-fare book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

Tickets are sold on some commuter services such as Newbrige/Kildare to Heuston but almost never on the longer distance 'suburban' services. This evening three checkers appeared on the 1840 to Thurles which is a rare occurance - mostly there are no on-board staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

if there was a working ticket machine at the station then there really should be no excuse for getting on the train without a ticket,that's just the way it is.imposing a fine like that is crazy and i bet the trained monkey enjoyed been the big man for a few minutes but he should have never been given the chance to fine.just buy a damn ticket

• Advertisement

Rud wrote: »
    if there was a working ticket machine at the station then there really should be no excuse for getting on the train without a ticket,that's just the way it is.imposing a fine like that is crazy and i bet the trained monkey enjoyed been the big man for a few minutes but he should have never been given the chance to fine.just buy a damn ticket

The ATVM's do not sell every choice of ticket. This is why you're not oblidged to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Interesting dilemma.

Sallins has a TVM on the Dublin bound platform only. There's also a part time ticket office at the rear of this platform housed in a "container".

There is a hand written sign on the Dublin bound platform directing you to the "container". There is also a poster warning you to purchase a ticket before you get on the train. But across the tracks on the other platform there is no TVM and no instructions as to how you purchase a ticket. Its not easy to spot the TVM on the other platform either. If you are not a regular user, you will get on the train and expect to pay on board.

It appears that IE are only interested in the Dublin bound traffic (which to be fair, is the busiest). But they have failed to provide adequate information to passengers using the other platform. I'd photograph the situation and fight the fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Irish Rail haven't sold tickets on trains in an absolute age.

They still do on the Cobh/Cork/Midleton line. Or did up till last week anyway.
    A bunch of stations still don't have any ticket desks or machines.
    They seem to have closed the ticket office in Glounthaune now too, which means arguing with the helpful new Revenue Protection Service guys wearing their bat belts.
    "You should have bought a ticket"
    "How?"

To be fair I've never had a problem explaining that the ticket office was closed. I would love to know what's in all the pouches on the bat belt though.

Rud wrote: »

Again though the machine is on the other side of the tracks, I know its there but the gf didn't, tis not a easy thing to spot.

Also where be the posters telling you about using the machine and what not?

deRanged wrote: »
    They still do on the Cobh/Cork/Midleton line. Or did up till last week anyway.
    A bunch of stations still don't have any ticket desks or machines.
    They seem to have closed the ticket office in Glounthaune now too, which means arguing with the helpful new Revenue Protection Service guys wearing their bat belts.
    "You should have bought a ticket"
    "How?"

To be fair I've never had a problem explaining that the ticket office was closed. I would love to know what's in all the pouches on the bat belt though.

Theres railways outside the Pale? :eek:

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

They do on the Sligo-Dublin line, sometimes they huff about it but they do it anyways. I have had to run to make the train many times and go my ticket from the inspector on the train. Our ticket office is closed on Sundays and early enough on weekdays so they're used to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭ronano

The ATVM's do not sell every choice of ticket. This is why you're not oblidged to use them.

This!

I know it's possible to buy a ticket but i had a situation start of the month went to buy monthly bus and rail shorthop and the ticket sellers machine was malfunctioning. He wanted me to buy a single from the machine,whats the issue with updating the software to put every variation of ticket on the automatic ticket machines?

Your guess is as good as mine. Also the Connolly ATVMs sell to more destinations than the Maynooth ones for instance - no Dhu Varren* on the ones here!.

*small NIR halt I've had a reason to go to once.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Plus theres no anything at Broombridge! I've had to pay at Connolly from there dozens of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Where the Board gives notice that a station is unattended or the booking office is closed, or where any person is instructed by an authorised person to board a train at a station without purchasing a ticket at the booking office so as not to delay the departure of the train from the station, any person not in possession of a valid ticket entitling him or her to travel may enter a vehicle at that station for the purpose of travelling but that person must obtain a ticket or other authority from an authorised person on the train as soon as practicable after entering any vehicle or from an authorised person on arrival at the station to which such person is travelling by the train.

Excerpt from IE by-laws.

Roughly translated this means you can get on a train without a ticket only from a station without a booking office or a ticket machine (that cant issue you the ticket you want)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

landyman wrote: »
    Excerpt from IE by-laws.

Roughly translated this means you can get on a train without a ticket only from a station without a booking office or a ticket machine (that cant issue you the ticket you want)

Laws are easy to quote. The problem arises when they are implemented in an unfair and/or confusing manner. Sallins station is one such example.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

MJohnston wrote: »
    Plus theres no anything at Broombridge! I've had to pay at Connolly from there dozens of times.

In fairness, trackside furniture at Broombridge has an average lifespan of 0.5 seconds.

Just wondering now about the sallins station again, there be the only one machine on the dublin side and u have to walk up a stairs and across a footbridge, there is no lift.

What if someone is in a wheelchair and doesnt wish to go to dublin? How do they buy a ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

k99_64 wrote: »
    Just wondering now about the sallins station again, there be the only one machine on the dublin side and u have to walk up a stairs and across a footbridge, there is no lift.

What if someone is in a wheelchair and doesnt wish to go to dublin? How do they buy a ticket?
    walk or wheel yourself out of the station and cross the roadbridge over the railway and re-enter the railway from the other side, buy your ticket then make the journey back to the right side! very awkward for anyone mobility impaired.

but then irish rail dont care much for the disabled as their newly refurbished Carlow station shows! they still have a barrow crossing as the only way onto platform 2 and the wheelchair accessible toilets and waiting room are behind a permenantly locked door the key of which can only be obtained by entering the ticket office through a narrow doorway with a step.

back to the op's issue, i would fight the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BT!

What if someone is in a wheelchair and doesnt wish to go to dublin? How do they buy a ticket?[/QUOTE]

wouldn't they and a companion have free travel ?

• Advertisement

BT! wrote: »
    wouldn't they and a companion have free travel ?

Not if they were only in it temporarily, for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

landyman wrote: »
    Excerpt from IE by-laws.

Does the definition of "booking office" include a ticket machine? I don't see any mention of a ticket machine in that quote only "booking office" and "authorised person". Does this mean the OP's girlfriend may have a defence if she chooses to challenge the penalty?

Advertisement