Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with External HDD

• 08-04-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭

Wel lads,

Seem to be having a spot of bother with my external hard drive. Im trying to transfer a 7.52GB file to a 1TB HDD. However when I try to do so it gives me an error saying it wont fit on the HDD, however the HDD has 810GB free.

Does anyone know what the problem is & how to resolve it? :confused:

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

your hard drive is probably formatted as FAT32. the max size of a file this can handle is 4GB. you can't fit any file over this size on a FAT32 drive.
    you could try and partition the file but that could take ages!
    on windows 7 (the only OS i'm certain of), there is an option to convert the drive to NTFS, which can handle larger files. what OS are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

whiteman19 wrote: »
    your hard drive is probably formatted as FAT32. the max size of a file this can handle is 4GB. you can't fit any file over this size on a FAT32 drive.
    you could try and partition the file but that could take ages!
    on windows 7 (the only OS i'm certain of), there is an option to convert the drive to NTFS, which can handle larger files. what OS are you using?

Im using Windows 7 too as it happens!
    Thanks that explains why it wont handle the file. If I convert the HDD to NTFS will I lose whatever is currently on the HDD? (Im presuming it is similar to reformatting the hard drive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

you can convert the drive to NTFS without losing any data. i've done it myself on a WD elements 1TB and it worked without any loss of data. (risk of data loss is minimal, but possible!!!)
    use command prompt to convert the drive from fat32 to ntfs

Help tutorial here

basically, you run the command prompt as an administrator (right click the command prompt icon and click "run as admin")
    then, you type
    convert DRIVE LETTER /fs:ntfs where DRIVE LETTER is the eg E:, F: etc

example:
    convert E: /fs:ntfs
    PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!!!
    Although the chance of corruption or data loss during the conversion is minimal, it is recommended that you backup any data that you do not want to lose on the volume that you want to convert before you start the conversion to be extra safe.

The only way to convert a NTFS disk back to a FAT or FAT32 disk is to format the disk.
    please read the tutorial in case i've got anything wrong!!! i have been known to make mistakes :P trust the tutorial over me.

MY 200th POST, EVERYBODY :D:D:D:D

Advertisement