Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublinbikes opening hours

Options
  • 08-04-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know when they stop renting in the evening? (hoping it's 10pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For any query on the service contact 1850 777 070

Thought it was 12:30?

Edit: Wow, just realise that I can't find it on the website. Hrm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Dónal wrote: »
    Thought it was 12:30?

Edit: Wow, just realise that I can't find it on the website. Hrm.

I think you are right. Went to get one back to a friends after a night out and we were shocked to see they were closed :(

I think service resumes at 5:30 in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

its definately at least 12 midnight - I did see it on their FAQ once. You can return after this time but cant take another until 4 or 6am (or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adlerhn

And does anyone know why they have to close at all? Can't they just keep the machines running overnight? Going out by bike and having to return walking is far from ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I'd say a lot of it is safety and insurance related, that there were restrictions placed on the service hours, rather than Dublin Bikes arbitrarily setting hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I'd say a lot of it is safety and insurance related, that there were restrictions placed on the service hours, rather than Dublin Bikes arbitrarily setting hours.

It's to stop people like me drunk cycling home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

eeguy wrote: »

In as many words, that's basically it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

eeguy wrote: »
    Probably. But people like you should not stop good policy from being implemented. 12.30am is very early for a bike sharing service to stop operating, especially on weekends.

In London, the main bike sharing scheme is apparently able to operate 24 hours per day without the world ending; as is the same for Barcelona, and Brussels, and probably more European cities.

A small selection of stations could be opened until 3am for a trial period in Dublin; accidents will happen, but the cycling culture will never change if people like you stop others from cycling late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

The scheme's opening hours are just fine and the demand during the closing hours probably doesn't warrant extending the service to be 24/7. In addition to that our A&E departments are rammed on weekends due to dumb drunk people, let's not add to their woes with dumb drunk people on dublin bikes having accidents too.

• Advertisement

py wrote: »
    The scheme's opening hours are just fine and the demand during the closing hours probably doesn't warrant extending the service to be 24/7. In addition to that our A&E departments are rammed on weekends due to dumb drunk people, let's not add to their woes with dumb drunk people on dublin bikes having accidents too.

Lets not do anything useful because drunk people might ruin it?

It's their own fault if they crash whatever vehicle they are driving not the supplier of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bit of a gap in the middle of this conversation!

py wrote: »
    The scheme's opening hours are just fine
    So the opening hours are fine for you and nobody else's feelings on the issue matter? Understood.
    and the demand during the closing hours probably doesn't warrant extending the service to be 24/7
    Have you any evidence to support this? And nobody mentioned 24/7 for Dublin. Also, given other cities mentioned do provide a 24/7 service, the demand does appear to be present in major European cities, of which Dublin is one.
    In addition to that our A&E departments are rammed on weekends due to dumb drunk people, let's not add to their woes with dumb drunk people on dublin bikes having accidents too.
    This is true, and a concern, which is why a trial period could be commenced initially.

Disagree completely that the opening hours are "just fine", and evidently so do the other European cities which run such bike sharing schemes. That doesn't mean 24/7 is necessary in Dublin, but a gradual exploration of an extension to the opening hours would be an excellent enhancement to the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Personally I would much prefer to see the area covered by the scheme extended rather than the opening hours!

C3PO wrote: »
    Personally I would much prefer to see the area covered by the scheme extended rather than the opening hours!
    There is definitely scope for both.

Advertisement