Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modular degree changes at UCD. Left with half a degree

Options
  • 08-04-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi, I completed year 3 of the modular evening degree at UCD in 2007. Then without warning the course was changed and my next subject was axed. I've been trying to contact different people there since then with no luck whatsoever. Did anyone else have to quit when these changes were implemented? Couldn't find any old posts on this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

zipzoc wrote: »
    Anyone?

Just pick another subject. :p

Not ideal, I know, but all Arts students have the stress of having to redirect the direction of their degree when this sort of stuff happens - which is quite a lot!

Just pick another subject

Thats exactly what they said :)
    Do you work for UCD?

Thing is I signed up for my 2 main subjects at the start and I've payed the guts of four grand over 3 years. Also I'm not sure it's as common as you make out. Is it really?

Now, on the course/enrollment information, they have some small print which reads 'course is subject to change blah blah...' whereas when I started there was no such warning. Also subjects were axed a week before we finished for summer with no notice at all.

Thing is I signed up for my 2 main subjects at the start and I've payed the guts of four grand over 3 years. Also I'm not sure it's as common as you make out. Is it really?

Now, on the course/enrollment information, they have some small print which reads 'course is subject to change blah blah...' whereas when I started there was no such warning. Also subjects were axed a week before we finished for summer with no notice at all.

Well stuff happening is common - like courses being full, or clashing with your timetable, not getting good enough grades to obtain single subject honours, etc.

Arts is a large and complicated section of UCD which has great flexibility, possibilities and stress involved in its academic structure!

Mergers and course axing does sometimes occur: Like Drama English and Film merging, Old Irish and Computer Science being axed, etc.

Alternatively I think you can qualify with a H-Dip with exactly half a degree? :confused:

Very different scenarios.

I was strung along for 3 years at considerable time and expense only to be told at the last minute that my next module/subject had been axed. No notice. No nothing. I might not have continued in the Modular Degree course had I known in advance this was going to happen. They could have given a years notice at least.

This is not the same thing as courses being full or timetables clashing.

Do you work for UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Very different scenarios.

I was strung along for 3 years at considerable time and expense only to be told at the last minute that my next module/subject had been axed. No notice. No nothing. I might not have continued in the Modular Degree course had I known in advance this was going to happen. They could have given a years notice at least.

This is not the same thing as courses being full or timetables clashing.

Well of course you should have received notice but it may have been out of the Programmme Office's hands.

Some people choose Arts Omnibus on their CAO with the specific intention of pursuing a couple of subjects and might find that, by the time they come to register, that those subjects have become full up. Not as bad perhaps, but still a bit of a blow.

What was the subject as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

There's really no point getting worked up about this. If the subject has been axed, it's been axed. It's not going to be reinstated.

Have you been to see the B.A. manager? Her office is beside the Arts Programme Office. She was very helpful when I was re-entering UCD this year. She helped guide me through subject changes, etc. Four years is a long time. I only left two years ago, and I noticed major changes.

Good luck with finishing your degree.

Advertisement