Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

02/03 Vivaro / Primastar?

• 08-04-2010 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at getting a van either a Opel Vivaro or Nissan Primastar.

Have been reading through a number of reviews and what not so I know all about the gearbox problems.

I see in many reviews both vans can either come in 5 or 6 speed gearbox.

Just wondering if the problems are more related to the 6 speed?

That's just the feeling I get or am i completely off track?

Before any suggestions i have looked at the Transporter (out of my price bracket) and the Transit (more of a working van).

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Dont buy one this old unless you know the person who owned it and that they serviced it regularly and have a FULL SERVICE HISTORY! I bought a 02 vivaro last september below in kerry and within a week I lost third gear completly and it was burning so much oil I ended up putting burnt oil into it. It would easily burn two litres of oil a day.

Gear boxes are like chocolate in them. Unless it has been changed after 70,000 miles stay well clear of it. A DOE seems to be worthless with these older vans.

Thats just my personal experience with them. I would but at least a 07 the next time if I buy one again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

AFAIK the gearboxes are from the Laguna. They dont take kindly to hauling big weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I never knew the engines came from the Laguna. I always new all the engines for the renault traffic, vivaro, primastar were from renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Thanks,

I'm actually going to a dealer tomorrow to check out a 03 primastar.

He has already admitted that the gearbox is noisy, is this a sign that it's on the way out, it's about a grand less than another 03 primastar he has.

Any idea of costs for reconditioned gearbox fitted. I saw one on Ebay for 650 sterling so i'm just wondering on labour costs?

Regards.

Advertisement