Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

focus cayo and sportives

• 08-04-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I really dont know any one who has a cayo,seem to be very scarce.My plan is to do a few sportives,so out with the bike to do some trainning.My trouble is I find the cayo ok for short spins,but anything over 20 miles it starts to get uncomfortable.

Maybe its a bike fit thing,I am not sure.I have been on different sites on the net and its always focus cayo good bike not so good on long distances.

I really can't see myself doing any sportives on this bike at the present time.Has anyone done a sportive on a cayo I very much doubt it.It might be time to change my bike its a pity though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

templer27 wrote: »
    Has anyone done a sportive on a cayo I very much doubt it.

I did the Wicklow 200 and the Ring of Kerry on mine last year, plus some shorter stuff.

The bike's previous owner went to the moon and back on it.

It's a great bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Over 32km is it uncomfortable because of the position or is it actually the bike and it's rattling cables?

What kind of distances have you been doing up until now? Do you wear padded shorts and gloves? Are your pedals setup right? Do you have decent flexibility? Have you considered a bike fit?

Well worth considering all these before selling the bike and buying another that may not solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭templer27

Wow thats impressive Lumen,it must be a bike fit thing.I am 5` 9" 1/2 have a medium cayo yeah its a touch small.I have tried long stems 130mm and still fine it cramped,well it feels cramped after about 20 miles.

it must be a bike fit thing.I am 5` 9" 1/2 have a medium cayo yeah its a touch small.I have tried long stems 130mm and still fine it cramped,well it feels cramped after about 20 miles.

How much saddle setback are you using? More is better for comfort. Compensate with lower saddle to maintain knee angle.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Over 32km is it uncomfortable because of the position or is it actually the bike and it's rattling cables?

What kind of distances have you been doing up until now? Do you wear padded shorts and gloves? Are your pedals setup right? Do you have decent flexibility? Have you considered a bike fit?

Well worth considering all these before selling the bike and buying another that may not solve the problem.
    Thanks for the reply,yes I wear padded shorts and gloves.I think my pedals are set up right.I feel strong and can do 20 miles no problem,but at the 20 mile mark my shoulders start to ache. After about 20 mins rest it feels a bit better.
    My flexibility is not the best and I am overweight,perhaps thats my problem?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply,yes I wear padded shorts and gloves.I think my pedals are set up right.I feel strong and can do 20 miles no problem,but at the 20 mile mark my shoulders start to ache. After about 20 mins rest it feels a bit better.
    My flexibility is not the best and I am overweight,perhaps thats my problem?

Hmm...it would be handy to see your setup, but from the sound of it (cramped on a medium even with long stem, pain in shoulders, poor flexibility) it sounds like you might be sitting to upright and overstretching your arms and shoulders to compensate. Are your arms locked when you ride the bike?

Like I said, a photo of the bike, possibly with yourself on it would be very handy.

It doesn't sound like the bike is the problem though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I have a 2008 cayo with aksium wheels. My opinion is that it is a stiff frame and forks by comparison with my planet x pro and carrera aluminium frames. Some would consider this a plus but I would prefer to bring a softer frame and forks on a sportive of >100km. If the road surface is coarse those rigid forks transmit most of the vibrations onto your hands.
    My trouble is I find the cayo ok for short spins,but anything over 20 miles it starts to get uncomfortable.
    Have you regularly cycled more than 20mls over the same route on another racing bike and felt ok. Might be frame size/fit or saddle. (I changed my saddle after 50Km).
    I have been on different sites on the net and its always focus cayo good bike not so good on long distances.
    I would agree with that but I could tolerate it for a 200Km sportive if I had to and not complain too much.
    I really can't see myself doing any sportives on this bike at the present time.Has anyone done a sportive on a cayo I very much doubt it.It might be time to change my bike its a pity though

With respect it may not the bike. I do 2X100 Km training spins per week on mine and its not a problem. Long distance cycling is about managing/tolerating discomfort. I would suggest more regular and longer spins.

Lumen wrote: »
    How much saddle setback are you using? More is better for comfort. Compensate with lower saddle to maintain knee angle.
    My saddle is level and is set up bang in the centre.Maybe I could move it aft 5mm,would help with the cramping.Its only after 20 miles that the bike feels cramped.Before that it feels ok,my shoulders and triceps them seem to tire.

I bought a giant scr a few years ago and never had this problem.I know the cayo has a more aggressive geomentry so I half expected this ,I just think the bike is a little small and well small.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I did a couple of long sportives on mine last year without problem. Funnily enough, I've just recently been playing about with saddle position and handlebar angle, and have found a particularly comfortable position. Have you experimented with different settings?

Do you change your position on the bike much (eg hands on bars, drops or hoods), or do you tend to stick to one? I'm just back on the bike following a broken wrist and am finding I can keep more comfortable for longer periods by changing position regularly (I'm actually using the drops, which I hardly ever used to do)

Hmm...it would be handy to see your setup, but from the sound of it (cramped on a medium even with long stem, pain in shoulders, poor flexibility) it sounds like you might be sitting to upright and overstretching your arms and shoulders to compensate. Are your arms locked when you ride the bike?

Like I said, a photo of the bike, possibly with yourself on it would be very handy.

It doesn't sound like the bike is the problem though.
    Yeah my arms are locked,its becoming obvious its my lack of fitness and flexibility that's my problem. That's a relief at least its seems I dont need a new bike.Fitness and flexibility can be worked on,thanks Dirk Voodoo:o

• Advertisement

With respect it may not the bike. I do 2X100 Km training spins per week on mine and its not a problem. Long distance cycling is about managing/tolerating discomfort. I would suggest more regular and longer spins.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for your reply,longer and regular spins it is.I feel a bit of a fool for starting this thread.In fact is a big relief its me and not the bike.Me I can change the bike?

...it must be a bike fit thing.I am 5` 9" 1/2 have a medium cayo yeah its a touch small.I have tried long stems 130mm and still fine it cramped,well it feels cramped after about 20 miles.

That doesn't sound right. eg: I am 6ft even and have the med frame with 130mm stem. Although we may have different proportions. Try sitting comfortably on the bike and check that front wheel hub is hidden behind the handlebars. Also unless your knees are hitting the handlebars when you are out of the saddle I would guess that, that frame/stem combination is either correct or slightly too long for you.

PS: You can get that cramped feeling if the cranks are too short.
    My own opinion here is that if your inside leg is => 32in or 81cm change to 175mm cranks.

That doesn't sound right. eg: I am 6ft even and have the med frame with 130mm stem. Although we may have different proportions. Try sitting comfortably on the bike and check that front wheel hub is hidden behind the handlebars. Also unless your knees are hitting the handlebars when you are out of the saddle I would guess that, that frame/stem combination is either correct or slightly too long for you.

PS: You can get that cramped feeling if the cranks are too short.
    My own opinion here is that if your inside leg is => 32in or 81cm change to 175mm cranks.

My inside leg is 32 1/2 never thought of the crank length,but its my upper body thats the problem.Would longer cranks solve this?I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

I also have a Cayo and have done a few sportives (WW200, Burren, ROK) and a handful of races on it last year and have found it fine.
    I'm not convinced that the bike is too small for you either. Like you said it's probably a flexibility and make sure that your elbows aren't locked.
    At the start of a cycle do you feel comfortable on the drops?

How did you get on with the bike fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I was the previous owner of Lumen's Cayo and did plenty of long sportives on it including the Wicklow 200 and for that matter rode it up the Alps which put that ride in the shade. The bike was very nice and there was no particular problem with it over distance; it certainly wasn't massively stiff or liable to shake you to pieces.

I think it does sound like a fit issue. The Cayo is a relatively normal road race bike geometry, maybe not the out and out raciest but it is not a "relaxed geometry" road bike either. Have you flipped the stem so it points upwards? This will raise the bars. Consider a fit with the likes of irishfit.eu and emphasise that comfort over distance is your priority.

BTW the stock saddle that came with my Cayo was an ass hatchet, I would get rid of that. But that doesn't sound like your problem.

Alps
    th_IMGP6131_resize.jpg th_IMGP6308_resize.jpg

Sean Kelly 160 @Mahon Falls
    2795298667_216de6e272_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I really dont know any one who has a cayo,seem to be very scarce.

I saw about 20 or more of them on the Sean Kelly last year, seemed to be silly common.

I've done several 200km+ jaunts on my 2009 Cayo now and its nearly more comfey after 200 than when i start.

Sounds like its probably a bike fit thing or poor chamois. I'm 5' 10" and have the Medium cayo...prior to my bike fit last year i did tend to get knee pain and cramps from poor position(got another one this year cause i broke last year's setup ;) ). I'd suggest getting a bike fit before doing anything else(one from a decent place, should be threads on it here, i used irishfit.eu for mine which i found very good)...i've a 90mm stem and could infact go for a shorter one for my dimensions, might be the saddle is too far forward if your feeling cramped, i know mines pretty much entirely back.

My inside leg is 32 1/2 never thought of the crank length,but its my upper body thats the problem.Would longer cranks solve this?I

No. But the upper body symptoms you describe are all classic novice/improver complaints. Your back/shoulder/neck/upper and fore arm muscles are all being worked and stretched. You need to allow your body to adapt with more training and in particular progressively longer spins.
    Stretching may help in the short term.

hynesie wrote: »
    I also have a Cayo and have done a few sportives (WW200, Burren, ROK) and a handful of races on it last year and have found it fine.
    I'm not convinced that the bike is too small for you either. Like you said it's probably a flexibility and make sure that your elbows aren't locked.
    At the start of a cycle do you feel comfortable on the drops?
    I have learn something new tonight,don't lock your elbows.I always lock my elbows.At the start of my cycle i do feel comfortable on the drops.

After 20 miles or so my arms and shoulders start to feel cramped.Hang on I have just answered my own questions.I am such an idiot,bad flexibilty locking my arms and I wonder why I am tired.:oThanks everyone much thanks and have a good night.I know I will have a better night knowing I dont have to buy a new bike.:o

I can't believe tom had white hoods on the cube, that's just too far! Tell me it's the light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I wouldn't be as technical on setup as our more knowledgeable colleagues here, but Cayo Good! Did ROK last year on it and will be doing many more than that this year on it.

I saw about 20 or more of them on the Sean Kelly last year, seemed to be silly common.

I've done several 200km+ jaunts on my 2009 Cayo now and its nearly more comfey after 200 than when i start.

Sounds like its probably a bike fit thing or poor chamois. I'm 5' 10" and have the Medium cayo...prior to my bike fit last year i did tend to get knee pain and cramps from poor position(got another one this year cause i broke last year's setup ;) ). I'd suggest getting a bike fit before doing anything else(one from a decent place, should be threads on it here, i used irishfit.eu for mine which i found very good)...i've a 90mm stem and could infact go for a shorter one for my dimensions, might be the saddle is too far forward if your feeling cramped, i know mines pretty much entirely back.
    Bike fit seems the best think to do.My saddle is proberly too far forward I have learned a lot hear tonight.Thanks everyone now I must log off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Focus Cayo (2009) Geometry:
    http://www.focusbikesuk.com/focusroadbikes/road_bikes_cayo_expert.php

Giant SCR Geometry:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_uk/bikes/models/geometry//2007/SCR.jpg

Horizontal Top Tube
    Focus(54) - 543mm
    Giant(M) - 550mm
    Focus(56) - 555mm

Head Tube
    Focus(54) - 135mm
    Giant(M) - 165mm
    Focus(56) - 150mm

That's quite a difference in the Headtubular region between the SCR and your Cayo. Maybe a 56 Cayo would be more comfortable for you. I'm slightly taller at 5'10 1/2 and I always get recommended 56's when I'm browsing for bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

No. But the upper body symptoms you describe are all classic novice/improver complaints. Your back/shoulder/neck/upper and fore arm muscles are all being worked and stretched. You need to allow your body to adapt with more training and in particular progressively longer spins.
    Stretching may help in the short term.
    +1 for stretching, it really does help. When starting out I also used get aches in the shoulders/neck/back and found swimming very helpful to build up my upper body strength.

Maybe a 56 Cayo would be more comfortable for you. I'm slightly taller at 5'10 1/2 and I always get recommended 56's when I'm browsing for bikes.

Whilst a taller headtube tends to be more comfortable, a slightly smaller bike allows a more rearward seating position, which is (in my experience) the #1 way to reduce those upper body pains you get in the first year of trying to be less crap at cycling.

My Cayo was on the large side, and I had to use a 90mm stem to get the reach right with the saddle back (but the stem was flipped to give more height).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

See the sandals there blorg, you dont look that old....:p

Advertisement