Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVI connections.

• 08-04-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34

I bought a pc on adverts recently, it wasnt until I got home that I realised my monitor had the wrong type of connection. I had VGA and it needed DVI, I never heard of this before so I went out and got a VGA to DVI adaptor.

Anyway, Ive decided to buy a new monitor and was wondering what should I look out for? The connection I have on my pc is DVI-I dual link. From what I have gathered it is able to connect both DVI-A and DVI-D is that correct? Because every monitor I see for sale only has a DVI-D connection. So my question is can I buy a monitor with either DVI-D or DVI-A?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I bought a pc on adverts recently, it wasnt until I got home that I realised my monitor had the wrong type of connection. I had VGA and it needed DVI, I never heard of this before so I went out and got a VGA to DVI adaptor.

Anyway, Ive decided to buy a new monitor and was wondering what should I look out for? The connection I have on my pc is DVI-I dual link. From what I have gathered it is able to connect both DVI-A and DVI-D is that correct? Because every monitor I see for sale only has a DVI-D connection. So my question is can I buy a monitor with either DVI-D or DVI-A?

If you buy a DVI monitor it will only have DVI-D input as DVI-A is meaningless in the context of digital display. DVI-A is used only to convert digital DVI output signals from a graphics card to an analog signals for a (VGA) monitor.

You are correct that DVI-I device\cable is capable of producing\carrying both types of signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

You could scrap both options and go for a monitor with hdmi instead.

Well, technically it would probably be VGA with hdmi, but with a simple adapter for your PC Dvi connection, you'd be all set for HD.

Apdaters like so. (Obviously, you'd have to get the right connections)
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/adapters/hdmi-dvi-adapters/ada-hdmim-2dvif/prodGEF00008.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

norbert64 wrote: »
    You could scrap both options and go for a monitor with hdmi instead.

Well, technically it would probably be VGA with hdmi, but with a simple adapter for your PC Dvi connection, you'd be all set for HD.

Apdaters like so. (Obviously, you'd have to get the right connections)
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/adapters/hdmi-dvi-adapters/ada-hdmim-2dvif/prodGEF00008.html

Alot of LCD monitors will come with both DVI and HDMI. But unless he buys a monitor with built in sound, and has an graphic cards capable of sending the HDMI audio. then it doesn't really matter whether or not he uses HDMI or DVI as the video signal is the exact same.

Also because the DVI standard does not transmit sound those generic DVI-HDMI adapters are not cabable of carrying the HDMI sound component only video. You need a special propritory DVI-HDMI Adapter specifically designed for the video card that is capable of splicing the HDMI sound component with the digital video signal to produce a proper HDMI signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 pauly-chops

Ok a little over my head to be honest with ya guys. I got this xps on donedeal.ie and all i know about it is ita Quad core Q6600 2.4Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX (768MB) and the sound card is a Creative X-Fi Audio Processor. Does any of that matter when it comes to HDMI?

Ok a little over my head to be honest with ya guys. I got this xps on donedeal.ie and all i know about it is ita Quad core Q6600 2.4Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX (768MB) and the sound card is a Creative X-Fi Audio Processor. Does any of that matter when it comes to HDMI?

I could be wrong but I don't think that the 8800GTX can pass through HDMI audio anyway. And if you are going to be using seperate computer speakers for audio then there is zero difference between HDMI and DVI going to the monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 pauly-chops

cheers thanks for that, learned something new today at least.

Advertisement