Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with a tune

• 08-04-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

having troble with technique on this. from the start.

I can finger pick .

but this is beating the head of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGHn2tvHVgY

I cant keep my thumb picking the bass note while playing the melody.

Is there any tips or techniques I could practice to prepare me for this song.?:confused:

before a throw my guitar out the window.

big love. It will take me yearsto be able to play like this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

It's not a technique i have tried to master, but it's pretty much the same as all others.. play it slow, play it 1,000,000,000,000,000 times ;) and you will get better..

I do remember looking at YouTube video's for Davy Grahams Anjii which is a similar style and there were a bunch of tutorials to help people with the style.. it might be worth trying a slower style song first..

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Cracking tune, looks really impressive if you can play it :)

anyway here's a couple of tips on learning it:

firstly, slow the song down - try http://www.power-tab.net and download a copy of the tab from ultimate-guitar.com.
    then you can change the tempo down a bit and it helps highlight the picking pattern.

also, try splitting the bass and melody parts and practicing them seperately

hope that helps - have fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

you're technique s very good. you have a good handle on the song. i have noticed you lift your finger off the fret board a bit too high..thats something you should remedy. just concentrate on lifting your fingers as little as possible off the strings when hammering on. your rhythm is spot on..maybe you could pluck a little harder as you will gain more control over the strings after a while. what gauge strings are you playing?

Nozebleed wrote: »
    you're technique s very good. you have a good handle on the song. i have noticed you lift your finger off the fret board a bit too high..thats something you should remedy. just concentrate on lifting your fingers as little as possible off the strings when hammering on. your rhythm is spot on..maybe you could pluck a little harder as you will gain more control over the strings after a while. what gauge strings are you playing?

DISCLAIMER ;) I've had a couple of sherries...

but I assumed the YouTube was of what he was trying to do.. rather than of his attempt...

Someone clarify :)....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

LOL...damn didnt realise..it;s a good attempt by your man!

• Advertisement

Nozebleed wrote: »
    LOL...damn didnt realise..it;s a good attempt by your man!

thank christ ;) I've been playing 25 years and if that was considered bad for a beginner I should have given up years ago .... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Breaks your heart doesnt it.
    I had a go but Im just not dedicated enough.
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2022656671

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Nice tune!

Bad Suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

>Bad Suit
    He comes from Morocco.
    Its blue.
    And its made out of cardboard.
    How cool is that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjn38C_y_jc&feature=related

• Advertisement

>Bad Suit
    He comes from Morocco.
    Its blue.
    And its made out of cardboard.
    How cool is that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjn38C_y_jc&feature=related

A lot cooler than i'll ever be :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Do yourself a favour and download "transcribe". Best software I ever bought. You can slow down the actual song without changing the pitch ...there are sooo many tabs on the net that are inaccurate,,,,even official tablature books can be off.
    That song sounds handy enough. If you already have the hang of the bass string you're on your way. Some of Rory Gallaghers acoustic tunes used to beat the **** out of me until I slowed the stuff down and found out what he actually was doing. Takes up a lot of time but well worth it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Do yourself a favour and download "transcribe". Best software I ever bought. You can slow down the actual song without changing the pitch ...there are sooo many tabs on the net that are inaccurate,,,,even official tablature books can be off.
    That song sounds handy enough. If you already have the hang of the bass string you're on your way. Some of Rory Gallaghers acoustic tunes used to beat the **** out of me until I slowed the stuff down and found out what he actually was doing. Takes up a lot of time but well worth it. :)

thats a great program.

here is a free trial of it.
    works fine on windows 7.
    http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/download_windows.html

thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I found this one an absolute bugger to learn. Here is an early attempt at it:

I managed to get the proper travis picking but it just took ages of slow playing and slowly building up speed. Its very hard to initially get your thumb to keep strumming the bass notes. That video is old and isnt really great so I can try get another video of how I play it now. Once you get the hang of it its a lot of fun to play

Edit: That video you posted shows it well enough I guess and he can play it better than me. haha. I dont mind not being able to play it note perfect though. I'm usually too lazy to work out songs like that and just play something that sounds close :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭thegom145

@GStormCrow Thats nice dude, what kind of acoustic is that?

GSTORMCROW.
    We salute you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭thegom145

gsxr1, whats giving you trouble with this, is it your fingerpicking technique in general or this song specifically? I had trouble with hitting a consistent bass line and playing a melody at the same time a few years ago, this helped me out a lot:
    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Contemporary-Travis-Picking-Fingerpicking/dp/0936799005

Its not expensive and is a great book imo, this kind of fingerpicking has started to integrate itself into my guitar playing really naturally now.

For this song, I'd recommend you find an accurate tab somewhere, and practice really, really slowly (sorry I know lots of other people have said the same thing previously but it bears repeating because it really is the best way) until it feels comfortable. Make sure to get the rhythm EXACTLY right before you increase your speed. I found a good tab on ultimate-guitar, I can't remember what the rules on this board are for discussing tabs so I wont post it, its easy enough to find though. Just take it slow, get it correct and you should be able to get it with a bit of time and hard work!

thegom145 wrote: »
    gsxr1, whats giving you trouble with this, is it your fingerpicking technique in general or this song specifically? I had trouble with hitting a consistent bass line and playing a melody at the same time a few years ago, this helped me out a lot:
    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Contemporary-Travis-Picking-Fingerpicking/dp/0936799005

Its not expensive and is a great book imo, this kind of fingerpicking has started to integrate itself into my guitar playing really naturally now.

For this song, I'd recommend you find an accurate tab somewhere, and practice really, really slowly (sorry I know lots of other people have said the same thing previously but it bears repeating because it really is the best way) until it feels comfortable. Make sure to get the rhythm EXACTLY right before you increase your speed. I found a good tab on ultimate-guitar, I can't remember what the rules on this board are for discussing tabs so I wont post it, its easy enough to find though. Just take it slow, get it correct and you should be able to get it with a bit of time and hard work!
    thanks.

Icould not wrap my head around hitting the bass line and playing the melody at the same time corretly.

I have been banging away at it for the last 2 hours and have slowly programed myself to play it. It was very frustration . I have only cracked the first part. Its a very impressive tune. And want to crack the lot. (years later).

i just ordered the book.

Advertisement