Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

decent wireless router

• 08-04-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi all,
    can anyone recommend a decent wifi router.Ive got ntl broadband but they wont give me a wifi modem.lookin for a reasonable router to link to this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

NTL used to give you a free router if you got the top-end bandwidth package, and I beleive their current offering is a combined modem/router, Cisco 2425

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    NTL used to give you a free router if you got the top-end bandwidth package, and I beleive their current offering is a combined modem/router, Cisco 2425

Spent two days and 30 calls with the stupid automated ****e of a phone system,finally after gettin thru twice to operators who had to "redirect me" to other sections (both times ended with me being on hold till i hung up) i was told that only new customers qualified for a wireless router and they could do nothing for me. 7 years as customer FFS!
    Cancelling ASAP and getting a wimax. Disgrace:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

muppet01 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    can anyone recommend a decent wifi router.Ive got ntl broadband but they wont give me a wifi modem.lookin for a reasonable router to link to this.

Thanks

Make sure you get a modem/router and not a router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    you wouldn't want the cisco anyway, it's brutal.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've heard it's not easy to configure for advanced usage .... but also that UPC might be willing to provide the older option, if pressed. e.g the SA EPC 2203/Netgear WGR614

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

Get the netgear wgr614, works perfectly with the upc signal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

pretty much any wireless router will *should* work as long as has an ethernet WAN port and it's not specifically designed as an adsl only router.

i'm still using the same router i've had for 6 years, a Linksys WRT54GS and I've used it with 3 different ISP's and i'm still hapy with it's performance, even though it's getting long in the tooth it still does a grand job.

of course now, broadband speeds have moved up so much that it won't be long before i need to upgrade to avoid it being the bottleneck in my home network.

if you want to futureproof yourself a little bit look for something with wireless N, gigabit ethernet and possible dual band 2.4 & 5ghz if you really want to push the boat out, but it's still pretty hard to find a router which ticks all those boxes.

the one that david7536 suggested is a good option at a decent price, although you can get cheaper if you're not too fussy about specs and just want something that will 'do the job' without too many problems.

obviously though the more you are willing to spend on the right gear, the better you'll be able to get and the longer its likely to last.

if you wanted to spend a few quid more, THIS is a good buy for the money (it's been getting lots of good reviews) and will see you through for quite a while if you can live without dual band.

Some routers support a USB drive these days, this can be handy if you have more than 1 PC needing to share some files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've a LinkSys WRT54G and never any problems with it.
    Also, there's a handful of alternative firmwares out there for LinkSys routers, giving you some features which are usually reserved for high-end routers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement