Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Quotation

Options
  • 08-04-2010 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

We are building a new house and have just received an electrical quotation from our electrician. Any tips....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Get several quotes. I have an electrician friend who could do with the work, PM me if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Get two more quotes from electricians that have been recommended to you and not ones that advertised on a supermarket Notice Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

pm me your details and can contact you in relation to a quote if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I know it'll cost more, but i'd steer clear of a 'cash' job that a spark does during the evenings after his day job. Mainly:

No (little) comeback
    Sparky prob won't give as much time to it

Can just lead to a lot of hassle. Get a quote, get it on paper and seek recommendations. I have numerous sparky's I could recommend you... depends on which route you want to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Whoever is building your house ... if you know them really well / trust them, you could always get a recommendation from them.
    I built a house and shed a while back and thats how I did it. They are in the trade and know who is good and who is dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway -> House Building forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Get him to itemise the quote, not necessarily price every individual item but list everything that's included.
    This avoids any arguments at the end as to what constitutes an " extra".
    Obviously avoid any guy doing it on evenings or weekends, make sure he's registered ( ie he's not getting his mate to cert it).
    Get at least 3 quotes, listen to all their ideas and suggestions, but get all 3 to quote the exact same list.
    Remember cheap work is not good, and good work is not cheap, but you should expect good value for money.

Good luck with it.

Advertisement