Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much can you expect to improve from the mocks?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Obviously, if you continue to study etc. The general vibe I'm getting from people is that you go up a grade in every subject. I know a guy who went up 100 points. Are these realistic expectations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Yeah it's true you can improve so long as you continuously work. Hopefully you'll be revising a lot of subjects soon, and that helps. Just try do something, and see where you struggled in the mocks.

I remember I failed Ordinary level maths in the mocks, yet I got a B1 in the real thing.

Although.. I got higher in the mocks for Irish and English. I got closer to an A in both, then fell to a B1 in both for the actual exam.. I got caught out in the Irish History. And rushed paper 1 of english. :(

Just keep on top of your work basically. Make sure you know enough for each section of every subject. Hopefully you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Yeah,I improved 100 points myself from the LC Pre-Exams& I found that this was the norm with others also.Teachers deliberately 'mark' the mocks harder as to get you to work harder for the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I heard rumours of someone going up by 300 points :P

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

300 points... yeah, right! Did they only do two subjects in the mocks? I hope I go up, it'd be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

i dropped 80 point.

cleared my first choice by a large large margin in the mocks and stopped working as hard, figured screw it, I already know enough, not that I completly stopped. Just didnt work as hard as should of. That mixed with a bad paper in a subject your relying on and you can be in big trouble.

I luckily got my first choice, but i was just pure lucky

keep working guys.
    and work hard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

tigerblob wrote: »
    300 points... yeah, right! Did they only do two subjects in the mocks? I hope I go up, it'd be nice!

"Shush" I'm hoping to do the same. Did terrible in the mocks :P. Personally, I don't see any reason why you can't go up that much, If you did terrible in the mocks, it doesn't mean anything. Those two papers are completely unrelated, it could be that you had extremely bad luck in the mock with questions coming up in areas you're weak at and vise versa in the real exam. (Of course th eopposite could happen). Plus you get 3 months more study.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would imagine it depends very much on how much work you had done before.
    If you worked like mad for the mocks, your mock result could be close to the most you're going to get. If you did nothing at all for the mocks, got yourself a nice big fright and worked like mad since, then you could come up a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

H2student wrote: »
    Plus you get 3 months more study.
    2 months left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I would be delighted to go up 100points.. just need to keep on top of stuff I suppose!!

I got 365 in the pres so that would mean 460 in the LC. I would be delighted with that..!! Wouldnt get my first choice but I cant see myself ever getting it anyway.. Id be happy with 430ish..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Meh. Didn't do too much for the mocks and got 475. HAvent really upped the workrate since then, so if I get the same Ill be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

There is no way of guessing how much you or anyone else will go up from the mocks.

The only potential indicator is how much work you put in from the mocks onwards/How much you can cram the night before.

I got 385 in my mocks, which on the basis of the previous years points, would have gotten me my second choice (Basically the exact same as my second, but under a different name). I didnt really up my game hugely from the mocks onwards. Started studying chemistry a bit more, that's it really.

I went up to 435, crammed the fúck out of Physics and a few others :D.

My second choice went up to 460 or something.....first choice went up to 440. Life isn't fair :)

tl;dr You wont really be able to predict what points you are gonna get using the mocks (I didnt think I'd break 400 once I finished the exams.....), and dont rely on last years points to predict what you might get.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

405 in the mocks with only a week of good study due to the dcg project.....aiming for 480 but if I get 450 I'll be very happy.Should be able with a good bit of work for 2 months:)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I got 385 in the mocks and my first choice last year was 380 so hopefully if it goes up, I will too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Some of my teacher's said you could go up fifteen to twenty percent but it's really down to the work you put in and what comes up on the day. I was pretty close points-wise to the course I want to get in to next year but I want to do better incase the points go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

370 in mocks. Anything over 400 and im happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Yupp2010

Ive lost all hope lol :/ I got 380 in the mocks and I want around 460? I could get more but I literally havn't done a scrap all year D: And I don't know why? I've always been one of the top in my classes from 1st year until now? great! lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Got 370 in the mocks with very little work..My course was 325 last year
    Gonna aim for 400 in the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Got 435 in the mocks :) very happy with that, as we had midterm the week before and I couldn't motivate myself

I have to admit, I got a few hints, such as with Irish Paper 1 and English Paper 2.

BUT, for Eng Paper 2 I had to keep running out to the toilet (I was sick that morning). And my art practical was marked EXTREMELY hard, even my teacher can't see where I lost a lot of the marks! And an essay came up in history that I hadnt looked at at all. So, with that in mind I'm really happy with my results.

Hoping for 500 in the real thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Yupp2010

ryanf1 wrote: »
    370 in mocks. Anything over 400 and im happy.

What do you want to do next year?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I went from 380 in the mocks to 485 in the LC, four hour study minimum everyday. I did work my ass off tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I don't even know how many points I need. Stupid HPAT :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I got 520 in my mocks last year, 465 in the real thing. :pac: Disaster!
    Got 530 in the mocks this year and I guess I'm hoping for 550 or so...keep changing my mind about what I want to do though.

Lots of my friends went up a crazy amount between the mocks and the Leaving Cert,I was an exception. It really depends on how much work you put in, naturally. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AmyMaria

oooh it'd be sooo nice to go up by 100 points xD

cos then I'd be on 530.

but I'd be really happy if I got 500, so hopefully the work I'm putting in will be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 repeatLC

i got 420 in the pres last yr and went up to 510 in the real thing.
    Got 480 in the pres this yr so if i could go up the same amount in would be epic!:rolleyes:

Loooking for around 530/540 so i say il be busy for the next two months!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yupp2010 wrote: »
    What do you want to do next year?:)
    Business in UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Denter

Friend of mine went from 305 to 475..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

305 points in the mocks...Multimedia in CIT was 300 points next year...hopefully can up my result for the L.C

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loocas

I don't know how many points I'll need. Trying for an art course and I haven't heard what I'm getting for my first choice for my portfolio (marked out of 600).

Last year first choice was 790 points (600 LC + 600 Port.)

I got 320 in the mocks, but did feck all study. If I can get past 350 or even up around 400, I'd die a happy man that day. Can't say what I'll get for my portfolio though, it's all ups and downs from my other courses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

you can go up 300 points

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Blushingblue

I did better in my mocks than the actual Leaving.
    My course was only 300 and I got 475 in the mocks so I assumed my work was mostly done :rolleyes: but a few minor changes in the papers threw me and I got 415 in the end.

Advertisement