Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New foal-what now?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    new to this site and seeking some advice as I am experiencing some unfamiliar territory.

Bought my first Mare pony less than a month ago with no idea she was pregnant until she popped a beautiful filly foal the other night!! what a shock! Her previous owner grazed her with a mixed herd but had no idea she was pregnant either!

The mother just turned 4 and this is her first foal so she is very cautious and it will take a while to build up trust.

I had nothing prepared as I had no idea this was going to happen! Mother and baby are doing really well and couldn't be healthier, but I am wondering if there are any vaccinations/ precautions/ whats the best feed stuff to give the mother etc...

Any assistance would be great as I have not had this experience before and am a little worried that I am missing something etc..

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

You'd probably be best to get a vet to check both the mare and foal, especially given that the mare is so young. They're probably fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

You could also try ringing your local stud farm or the National Stud, and asking for any advice they could give you regarding your mare and foal, and perhaps any supplements, etc. they should be getting. Your vet will also advise you as to this.

For the moment, you need to make sure that the mare has access to clean water and good quality forage and hardfeed, to ensure that she will have sufficient milk to feed the foal. Quite a few of the major horse feed manufacturers make feed and minerals designed specifically for feeding mares and young foals. Again, it's best to check with a vet or expert (most feed companies have nutritionalists you can speak to about feeding) before actually buying/feeding.

Best of luck with your new addition, and keep us posted as to how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone living local to you that breeds horses would give you advice too I'm sure. People are normally helpfull if you explain your story to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

What a surprise! But hopefully it will turn out to be a nice one.

I'd be inclined to get the vet out too, just to give them the once over, and he will also give the foal vaccinations (sorry, I can't remember exactly what they are now, it's been a while, I just know we give ours some!)

The only other general advise would be to make sure the mare is keeping her condition, otherwise up the feeding, make sure she has enough milk, and that she is letting the foal drink enough from her.

Other than that, I'd recommend you handle the foal as much as you can as soon as possible (one the mare is comfortable with that) as it makes life so much easier in the long term when it comes to moving them, weaning etc. Get a headcollar on it (there are conflicting views as to whether it's better to leave it on or not) once it's comfortable enough to let you do that without excessive stress and practising leading around the field. We did that with ours, and took them to a few local shows too, and the two older ones (baby is only rising 3, also a surprise!) were a dream to box, break etc cos they had some much handling and exposure as little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

shanagarry wrote: »
    What a surprise! But hopefully it will turn out to be a nice one.

I'd be inclined to get the vet out too, just to give them the once over, and he will also give the foal vaccinations (sorry, I can't remember exactly what they are now, it's been a while, I just know we give ours some!)

The only other general advise would be to make sure the mare is keeping her condition, otherwise up the feeding, make sure she has enough milk, and that she is letting the foal drink enough from her.

Other than that, I'd recommend you handle the foal as much as you can as soon as possible (one the mare is comfortable with that) as it makes life so much easier in the long term when it comes to moving them, weaning etc. Get a headcollar on it (there are conflicting views as to whether it's better to leave it on or not) once it's comfortable enough to let you do that without excessive stress and practising leading around the field. We did that with ours, and took them to a few local shows too, and the two older ones (baby is only rising 3, also a surprise!) were a dream to box, break etc cos they had some much handling and exposure as little ones.

+1 on all. Re vaccines it is important to talk to a vet as if the mare is not up to date with vacc's the foal will not have got any cover in utero or from the beestings milk. Foal maybe to young yet but it would be important if she was to recieve any cuts etc.

Good luck with it. Its often the unexpected who turn out to be the best:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lillyrose

Thanks everyone for your very helpful and honest advice, much appreciated! :)

The vet is visiting us tomorrow to ensure all is well. Better to be on the safe side!

Mother and foal are doing great so far - foal is jumping and running around like a mad thing! :)

Thanks again everyone! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Good to hear it! They're so cute at that age, all spindly legs!

Now it's your turn, photos please!

Advertisement