Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quarter sleeve, how much?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking to get from below my shoulder to just above my elbow tattooed the whole way around like a sleeve. I will be getting it all black and grey shading also. I am pretty small and slim so not a huge amount of arm to be covered. Am not too sure yet the level of detail as I have not decided the full design. Anyway just trying to get a rough idea of what this will cost. I know most places charge by the hour, especially in New York where I will be getting it done, so I guess it all depends on the artist, detail etc. Anyway if anyone has any rough estimates I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tommywiseau

it all depends on what you actually want. different styles=different prices. generally big work like that will be charged by the session.the kind of coverage you described could be 2-4 sessions, again depending on what style of tattoo/amount of detail, i.e. realistic work vs tribal bla bla,,
    your looking at 250-350 dollars approx. per sitting or 'session' for a decent reputable artist. my favourite guy in nyc charges 250 an hour.
    put away 1500$$, go to the best and you wont have to worry about anything.it's there for life so don't end up getting some ball of ****tt from a mediocre 'artist' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deadramones

A lot of American shops actually charge by the piece. Really depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

it all depends on what you actually want. different styles=different prices. generally big work like that will be charged by the session.the kind of coverage you described could be 2-4 sessions, again depending on what style of tattoo/amount of detail, i.e. realistic work vs tribal bla bla,,
    your looking at 250-350 dollars approx. per sitting or 'session' for a decent reputable artist. my favourite guy in nyc charges 250 an hour.
    put away 1500$$, go to the best and you wont have to worry about anything.it's there for life so don't end up getting some ball of ****tt from a mediocre 'artist' :pac:

Thanks, yeah I realize it is very difficult to tell how much it will cost without talking one to one with an artist. Your right when you say thats its worth doing proper and paying for a quality artist. I am getting something done on a tattoo I have already when I arrive in NY in June so I'll take it from there and research as I go. I'm lmost likely not going to be able to afford $1500 through out the summer as I am on a student visa so I will probably just be scraping by. However I am there for 4 months and was hoping to get the sleve work done while in the city. Is it a bad idea to get some of it done while I am there (say 1 or 2 sittings), and then the rest done elsewhere? I'm just thinking what if I got part of it done while there such as half the lenght of the area and perhaps not the full way around? Anyway certainly don't want to interfere with the artists work so not sure if this is a good idea, and perhaps I should be waiting until I have enough money to get the whole thing done?

P.s, Yooooou're tearing me aparrrrt Lisa!!! :)

Advertisement