Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for backup solution.

• 08-04-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

A friend has asked me to setup a backup solution for their personal computer and webserver (2 seperate pc's).

So I have thought of adding a second hard drive to the server. I can then schedule the personal pc to copy the selected folders to this drive (shared) as a backup. On the webserver I can setup similar schedules to backup important files like wwwroot and mysql databases.

How do you think this kind of setup would work. At the moment this just supports data loss on the primary storage i.e. drive failure. Maybe I should setup monthly, weekly and daily backups.

I currently use Robocopy for my own backup but this can be finicky to setup. I'm open to suggestions on backup software.

I know people here will advise me on RAID but the budget won't allow for it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

techguy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

A friend has asked me to setup a backup solution for their personal computer and webserver (2 seperate pc's).

So I have thought of adding a second hard drive to the server. I can then schedule the personal pc to copy the selected folders to this drive (shared) as a backup. On the webserver I can setup similar schedules to backup important files like wwwroot and mysql databases.

How do you think this kind of setup would work. At the moment this just supports data loss on the primary storage i.e. drive failure. Maybe I should setup monthly, weekly and daily backups.

I currently use Robocopy for my own backup but this can be finicky to setup. I'm open to suggestions on backup software.

I know people here will advise me on RAID but the budget won't allow for it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions..

If you have the bandwidth and monthly cap to allow it, then online backup would be an option.

Dropbox for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Your current plan does not cater for local disasters such as fire, flood, theft, and ESD to entire computer.

As suggested Online backup is the way to go. If it is just personal files less than 2GB something like dropbox is fine. If it is business orientated and quick restore is required I would suggest a more professional online backup service.

However the problem with dropbox is that files are held offshore which has its serious disadvantages to business experiencing downtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    If you have the bandwidth and monthly cap to allow it, then online backup would be an option.

Dropbox for example.

Unfortunately the area is badly serviced for broadband so mobile broadband is the only option. Dropbox won't do unfortunately. I must check it out for myself though, as it seems to be all the rage at the moment. Cheers!
    Your current plan does not cater for local disasters such as fire, flood, theft, and ESD to entire computer.

As suggested Online backup is the way to go. If it is just personal files less than 2GB something like dropbox is fine. If it is business orientated and quick restore is required I would suggest a more professional online backup service.

However the problem with dropbox is that files are held offshore which has its serious disadvantages to business experiencing downtime

I'm aware that a remote online system is the way to go. I did bring this up but it doesn't seem to suit.

What do you think of my back up plan from the scripting perspective? What sofware have you guys used before?

Advertisement