Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City centre speed limits

• 07-04-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭

Wibbler wrote: »
    Anyone here familiar with Swords and can tell me what the speed limit along the Glenn Ellan distributor road is?

I'd always assumed it was 50hm/h on the basis of a lack of signage to the contrary. There are 60km/h / 50km/h back-to-back speed limit signs at the junction with Balheary Road that show 60km/h on the Glenn Ellan side, but they could easily have been turned around by vandals.
    Rather then starting a second thread, what is the story with the 30km speed limit in the city centre. Last week went up Pearse st, right at the top of pearse st left onto the quays towards the phoenix park. Was looking for the signs but didnt see any? did I pass though the zone?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Rather then starting a second thread, what is the story with the 30km speed limit in the city centre. Last week went up Pearse st, right at the top of pearse st left onto the quays towards the phoenix park. Was looking for the signs but didnt see any? did I pass though the zone?

I was on Pearse St. yesterday evening and it's 50km/h until you reach the junction at the Trinity Capital Hotel. The 30k/mh limit kicks in as you approach College Green from that junction. From the junction to the quays is also 50km/h.

The following map explains it http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/RoadSafety/Documents/3369%20_04%20Sept%2009%20City%20Centre%2030%20kph%20zone.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was on Pearse St. yesterday evening and it's 50km/h until you reach the junction at the Trinity Capital Hotel. The 30k/mh limit kicks in as you approach College Green from that junction. From the junction to the quays is also 50km/h.

The following map explains it http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/RoadSafety/Documents/3369%20_04%20Sept%2009%20City%20Centre%2030%20kph%20zone.pdf

Thanks, so I first hit it turning into Burgh Quay. Is it actually signed in such a way that you will always see it? What would happen a tourist who doesnt pass a sign?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Thanks, so I first hit it turning into Burgh Quay. Is it actually signed in such a way that you will always see it? What would happen a tourist who doesnt pass a sign?

In general, I think DCC have done a good job with the signage (a lot better than Fingal Co. Co. did with that limit in Swords.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In general, I think DCC have done a good job with the signage (a lot better than Fingal Co. Co. did with that limit in Swords.)

On a daily basis I go from Parkgate St, down Wolfe Tone Quay (50), across to Watling Street (30), over to Christchurch, Kevin St, the Green, Molesworth St and the only sign I meet all the way is a 50 sign on Kildare St near the Shelbourne? Usually get back to the quays via Leeson St and Christchurch and again the only sign I encounter is a 50 sign on Ushers Quay.

How is there any chance of successful prosecution for speeding while there are still main arteries of the city with no signange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is your post a bit confused?
    athtrasna wrote: »
    On a daily basis I go from Parkgate St, down Wolfe Tone Quay (50), across to Watling Street (30), over to Christchurch, Kevin St, the Green, Molesworth St and the only sign I meet all the way is a 50 sign on Kildare St near the Shelbourne?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Parkgate+St%2FR101&daddr=N4%2FWolfe+Tone+Quay+to:Watling+St+to:High+St+to:Lower+Kevin+St%2FR110+to:53.339202,-6.257873+to:Molesworth+St&hl=en&geocode=Fd0GLgMd4_ef_w%3BFTADLgMd0g6g_w%3BFSz4LQMduhmg_w%3BFbTyLQMdMkyg_w%3BFSfeLQMdxFyg_w%3B%3BFc3rLQMduoag_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=5&sz=15&via=1,2,3,4,5&sll=53.33792,-6.259804&sspn=0.009532,0.023174&ie=UTF8&ll=53.342609,-6.273193&spn=0.019063,0.079136&z=14

Watling Street is 50km/h. There are no less than four 30km/h signs at the junction of Dawson Street and SSG North and this is the only time you cross the boundary to get to Molesworth Street. I'd love to know how you can see the signs on Kildare street seeing as they point in the other direction.
    Usually get back to the quays via Leeson St and Christchurch and again the only sign I encounter is a 50 sign on Ushers Quay.
    That sign is for traffic coming from Wood Quay. In going from Molesworth Street to Lesson Street, it would be correct that the only signs you see are at Kildare Street, assuming you go via Kevin Street and not Aungier Street.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Molesworth+St&daddr=Kildare+St%2FN11+to:53.33769,-6.267614+to:Parkgate+St%2FR101&hl=en&geocode=FSTsLQMdfISg_w%3BFcTmLQMdBYug_w%3B%3BFd4GLgMduPef_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1,2&sll=53.341687,-6.268044&sspn=0.019063,0.046349&ie=UTF8&ll=53.342866,-6.271906&spn=0.019062,0.046349&z=14

• Advertisement

Sorry, I didn't complete my journey in that post, I go to Baggot St. So going to work it's Molesworth St-Kildare St-Baggot Street and going home it's usually Fitzwilliam Square onto Leeson St (usually I will take Aungier St onto Dame St on the way home but sometimes Golden Lane onto Bride St). Hence I see those signs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I wouldn't agree. The signage is there and probably meets the legal criteria. Personally, I think it's badly placed and for such a low speed limit it needs to be better. Most of it is located right at traffic lights where it can be easily missed be traffic turning onto a street.

What they should have done is combined the speed limit with road markings similar to how the congestion charge areas in London marked. This means that drivers would be instantly aware that they are entering or exiting the lower speed limit area.

DCC generally do a dreadful job of signage. The introduction of the College Green Bus Gate, the Samuel Beckett bridge and this speed limit zone all could have been done so much better with better signage and road markings.

Before Christmas somebody in DCC thought it would be a great idea to put up small signs for car parking. What a waste of money! These signs were positioned where they provide no advance notice for driving, are two small are don't follow the norms you would expect from such signage. Somebody just dreamt them up at our expense! It would have been so much better if they had put up larger signage showing parking options. Dun Laoghaire have done a reasonably good job of this.

Road signage in Dublin is dreadful and somebody in DCC needs to address this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

On a daily basis I go from Parkgate St, down Wolfe Tone Quay (50), across to Watling Street (30), over to Christchurch, Kevin St, the Green, Molesworth St and the only sign I meet all the way is a 50 sign on Kildare St near the Shelbourne? Usually get back to the quays via Leeson St and Christchurch and again the only sign I encounter is a 50 sign on Ushers Quay.

How is there any chance of successful prosecution for speeding while there are still main arteries of the city with no signange?
    Sorry, I didn't complete my journey in that post, I go to Baggot St. So going to work it's Molesworth St-Kildare St-Baggot Street and going home it's usually Fitzwilliam Square onto Leeson St (usually I will take Aungier St onto Dame St on the way home but sometimes Golden Lane onto Bride St). Hence I see those signs

Did you miss these?:

4517973470_cb8b6c0928.jpg

Looks like it would be easy to do.
    BrianD wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree. The signage is there and probably meets the legal criteria. Personally, I think it's badly placed and for such a low speed limit it needs to be better. Most of it is located right at traffic lights where it can be easily missed be traffic turning onto a street.

Like above. :)
    BrianD wrote: »
    What they should have done is combined the speed limit with road markings similar to how the congestion charge areas in London marked. This means that drivers would be instantly aware that they are entering or exiting the lower speed limit area.

Like this:
    30_mph_road--JPG%20(200x0).jpg

Hand on heart I've never seen those signs at the Elverys junction BUT in my defence I'm usually trying to avoid being hit by idiots running red lights/jaywalkers/people pushing buggies into traffic/trucks and cars stopping on the pedestrian crossing/people who think indicators are for decoration/people who think switching on an indicator means you have to leave way for them at that junction...perhaps I may be excused? In fairness, the chance of doing anything over 30 between Dawson St and Kildare St is tiny anyway, mostly for the reasons already cited.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Hand on heart I've never seen those signs at the Elverys junction BUT in my defence I'm usually trying to avoid being hit by idiots running red lights/jaywalkers/people pushing buggies into traffic/trucks and cars stopping on the pedestrian crossing/people who think indicators are for decoration/people who think switching on an indicator means you have to leave way for them at that junction...perhaps I may be excused? In fairness, the chance of doing anything over 30 between Dawson St and Kildare St is tiny anyway, mostly for the reasons already cited.

I didn't notice Elverys was there even after taking the photo and putting it online. :)

To be fair, the it's easy to see how somebody would miss the signs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement