Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia; Anyone else like this? Rant.

• 08-04-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Ive been suffering from insomnia for the past two years. In a way I feel like I'm almost scared of going to sleep.

Not the actual sleeping part but the bit before where you lie in bed and have no distractions but your own thoughts. I start to feel panicky and extremly anxious and have to read, go on computer etc in order to distract myself untill i'm so exausted I pass out usually in the wee hours of the morning. More than anything I want to sleep but I fight it. Its like I cannot turn off my brain.

If I try not distracting myself into exaustion I end up lying there all night and get 0 sleep.

I was diagnosed with depression and am on antidepressants for that and feel the insomnia is a huge part of the cause/ effect of this. Its like a vicious circle, I'm too tired most of the time to do much and that gets me down/ anxiety is a big part of depression and that makes the sleep issue.

Ive been perscribed sleeping tablets and while I dont like using them Some nights I feel I have no other option. At this point I think I'm immune to them anyway.

Gah I just want to sleep! Stupid brain!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sumatra

How I know how you feel...was in the same position as you a few years back and its unenviable, I too was on anti-depressants, and my sleep was practically non-existent..its amazing how little sleep one needs to perform basic functions.I started then to drink heavily thinking it might help me sleep....well determined my insomnia was, even after 2 bottles of white wine I wouldnt fall asleep ( couldnt even handle a full one now!) the problem I found was the tablets, not only did I balloon in weight, be irritated and anxious but I also alienate myself away from everyone. your statement about your brain not shutting off is one I have uttered to myself many times!!! I personally seen no benifit from taking the tablets after about 5 months and one day I just said enough is enough Im not taking these anymore. I felt jesus I have to be better than to expect happiness to come from this little tablet, I have to create my own happiness and not let the pitfalls and disappointments in life break me down to this. I also was thinking there is people out there who are dealing with the same issues as me and dont fall into a depression so why am I letting society define me as 'weak' (that is not my opinion on anyone who takes anti-depressants, its a societal view, that I used to boost myself) for I am stronger than most of the people out there and surely I can deal with issues like everyone else. In no way, shape or form am I advising you to come off yoiur medication..its just this is what helped me. I feel I am a person who has a tendency to be a depressive person though...and since then I have a few days where I will get low, but I have never slipped back into a depression. Life is tough and we all have our bad times and moments. But you are a member of our world and you take your rightful place in it and rally against the pitfalls.
    Take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

hands up. Not as bad as it used to be but I only have myself to blame for it lately (not tuning out early enough) and hope I don't get slap for it but I used panadol nights when I want to get some sleep (not recommended as a long term solution) and only to get a sleep pattern going. Once I got some sleep in I got my health back. (I walk 10k a day every other day now and try and relax about two hours before bed, internet is a no no really)

(i work late in the evenings so it makes being lazy easy too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I just keep trying.Some nights, I relax with a bottle of wine.Other nights,I take a antihistamine.Other ngihts like tonight, I give up.Im awake since 3.This happens maybe once a week and I end up fecked the next day, but get on with it.Cathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

So here I am, awake since 1am....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

I have similar probs. Exercise during day and listening to some boring audio book at night helps me get off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I have similar probs. Exercise during day and listening to some boring audio book at night helps me get off.
    I go to the gym everyday and it doesn't help me at all :(

Second coffee of the morning so far. I'm knackered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mrs PD has had chronic insomnia for over a year now. I mean awake until 5am insomnia. She's tried everything, meditation, psychotherapy, accupuncture, melatonin (Which works, but doesn't give any beneficial rest, you wake up more drained than if you were awake all night), herbs from the usual Nature's Way stores, hot milk, counting sheep, going for walks, reading, aromatherapy, philips ambient sleep light, you name it, we've tried it.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

wow, it's only when I read stories from others here I realise I'm not alone and I'm not maybe suffering half as bad as others.

I'm having problems sleeping too, on and off for years but it's becoming more frequent. I went to bed last night at 10:45 (no internet or tv...I'm often bad for being online too late) and at 01:40 I decided to get up and go to the spare room...I was so angry for not being able to stay asleep.

You see I fall asleep but my mind doesn't realise I'm asleep and then I wake up 10 minutes later wide awake.
    I also get jumpy legs (restless legs syndrome) and this doesn't help at all.
    My GP prescribed a new medication (a dopamine agonist) but I decided not to start messing with dopamine...I was 31 at the time...way too young!!

I'm interested to see it's not just me who uses antihistamines to aid sleep. I've also tried Panadol night and it's OK too. I've often used Phenergan tablets and they make me so drowsy I'm beyond sleep for a while..off my head but when I do nod off I go straight into a deep coma! The problem with Phenergan is that when I'm up with the children at 7am in the morning I'm like a zombie and this sleepy feeling may last until lunchtime.

Deep down I know taking antihistamines for a sleeping aid is not right and I don't want to abuse drugs like that.

Maybe it's my routine, maybe I need to train my mind to shutdown at a certain time every evening and I suppose I am guilty of sitting up on the computer until 11pm which probably doesn't help. I suppose I'm looking for a quick fix which may not be the right fix at all..deep down I know this is probably the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

wow, it's only when I read stories from others here I realise I'm not alone and I'm not maybe suffering half as bad as others.

I'm having problems sleeping too, on and off for years but it's becoming more frequent. I went to bed last night at 10:45 (no internet or tv...I'm often bad for being online too late) and at 01:40 I decided to get up and go to the spare room...I was so angry for not being able to stay asleep.

You see I fall asleep but my mind doesn't realise I'm asleep and then I wake up 10 minutes later wide awake.
    I also get jumpy legs (restless legs syndrome) and this doesn't help at all.
    My GP prescribed a new medication (a dopamine agonist) but I decided not to start messing with dopamine...I was 31 at the time...way too young!!

I'm interested to see it's not just me who uses antihistamines to aid sleep. I've also tried Panadol night and it's OK too. I've often used Phenergan tablets and they make me so drowsy I'm beyond sleep for a while..off my head but when I do nod off I go straight into a deep coma! The problem with Phenergan is that when I'm up with the children at 7am in the morning I'm like a zombie and this sleepy feeling may last until lunchtime.

Deep down I know taking antihistamines for a sleeping aid is not right and I don't want to abuse drugs like that.

Maybe it's my routine, maybe I need to train my mind to shutdown at a certain time every evening and I suppose I am guilty of sitting up on the computer until 11pm which probably doesn't help. I suppose I'm looking for a quick fix which may not be the right fix at all..deep down I know this is probably the case.
    try sitting in a dark room for a few hours before bed with little or no artificial light, you can watch tv in a darkened room. Then try and get out in daylight early every day.

try sitting in a dark room for a few hours before bed with little or no artificial light, you can watch tv in a darkened room. Then try and get out in daylight early every day.

OK, will try that. not sure if I can manage a few hours being in a dark room before going to bed, need to do housework etc..but I'll try a trimmed down version.

• Advertisement

yep and antihistamines probably the cause of rls too, or so I found.

zxy wrote: »
    yep and antihistamines probably the cause of rls too, or so I found.

you're probably right, well one of the triggers of it but seeing as I've had rls since I was about 14 year old there must be other causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I haven't slept properly for more than about three nights in a row in years. I usually take ages to fall asleep, wake up after two hours, lie awake for a few hours and nod off again just before I have to get up.

I went to the doctor and she gave me valium, but it doesn't make me sleep, it just makes me lie awake but relaxed.

I went to a psychologist and he gave some very good advice, but it will still take a few months to get better. He said treat yourself like you treat a hyper child- with a proper wind down routine including washing your face and hands and teeth, maybe having some chamomile tea or something (a warm bottle for a child) and reading a story. For hyper children this reinforces the link between going to bed and being tired and falling asleep. Once you get insomnia you lose the association between bed and sleeping and you have to get it back. Bed is a worrisome place for me.

He also said to get up if you're not asleep- tossing and turning prevents you making a association between bed and sleep.

I hope this doesn't sound like airy fairy stuff, he seems like a very sensible man.

rantyface wrote: »
    I went to a psychologist and he gave some very good advice, but it will still take a few months to get better. He said treat yourself like you treat a hyper child- with a proper wind down routine including washing your face and hands and teeth, maybe having some chamomile tea or something (a warm bottle for a child) and reading a story. For hyper children this reinforces the link between going to bed and being tired and falling asleep. Once you get insomnia you lose the association between bed and sleeping and you have to get it back. Bed is a worrisome place for me.

He also said to get up if you're not asleep- tossing and turning prevents you making a association between bed and sleep.

I hope this doesn't sound like airy fairy stuff, he seems like a very sensible man.

sounds perfectly understandable to me rantyface. Some good advice there and I for one am guilty of not maintaining a night time routine (even though I make sure my two children follow the ritual above!).

I think (and myself included here) adults who have problems sleeping tend to want a quick fix (a pill) instead of looking at the core problems and a lot of the time the problem(s) is a simple one which often requires some effort on behalf of the individual to resolve.
    Now of course there may be underlying issues at play that can only be resolved with the aid of a medical professional so I'm not undermining more serious issues.

I think I've tried everything available to aid sleep naturally over the years from acupuncture to camomile tea and this thread got me thinking about some things. I know I'm more productive as a person later in the day, it seems night time is when I'm more awake than any other point and I started wondering about why. (cuz it is nightime afterall) I think as a parent night time was the only time I ever got to be by myself, the whole day is given over to somebody else and I remember when my one was small, the relief at getting nearer to eight o clock was tangible, knowing herself would be down and I could relax. She not a kid anymore but it seems the pattern has stuck and its as if there's a button that gets hit after eight o clock and I'm on me time, so I have no urge or need for sleep, being awake is way too enjoyable. My theory anyway, my brain just doesn't want to sleep.

(note to self- think less after 12)

zxy wrote: »
    I think I've tried everything available to aid sleep naturally over the years from acupuncture to camomile tea and this thread got me thinking about some things. I know I'm more productive as a person later in the day, it seems night time is when I'm more awake than any other point and I started wondering about why. (cuz it is nightime afterall) I think as a parent night time was the only time I ever got to be by myself, the whole day is given over to somebody else and I remember when my one was small, the relief at getting nearer to eight o clock was tangible, knowing herself would be down and I could relax. She not a kid anymore but it seems the pattern has stuck and its as if there's a button that gets hit after eight o clock and I'm on me time, so I have no urge or need for sleep, being awake is way too enjoyable. My theory anyway, my brain just doesn't want to sleep.

(note to self- think less after 12)

that's exactly how I feel. I have two young children and even though I may be tired and sluggish in the evening time, come 8pm and the little ones are going to bed I suddenly get a burst of energy. It's as if my mind is telling me, "hey, this is your time, don't waste it by going to bed.."!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Yes,makes sence to me.The only ME time I have is at night.No one rings me at 3 am.
    Its worth thinking about.Thanks,cathy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Had it, usually depression, well was for me anyway, all good in the hood now though, just relaxing with rain sounds online helped heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Im the exact same, don't get to sleep til after 5am, sometimes 7am, and wake up about 2pm, which is proving difficult now that I work at 10am on saturdays and sundays! I never finish work til 10pm, so while others have wind down time from 6pm til about midnight, my wind down time is from 11pm to 5am!

I wish I could get a better sleep pattern, but my working hours are so difficult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Funny that you should mention not being able to turn off your brain. Usually, I do and can sleep quite well. Sometimes, a lot of incoherent thoughts rush into my mind usually after I manage to get to sleep at first, and then I can't get to sleep. It is rare, but it is something that does happen to me from time to time.

Has anyone else ever had the same issue or is it just me? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement