Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Harddrive not Working

• 08-04-2010 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

My external harddrive is after breaking. It shows up on my computer, but the files cant be accessed. Im wondering who i could send it to, to get it fixed? Im not particularly computer literate, so would hope to find someone to pay to fix it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Send me a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

Does anyone know of any professional services that might be able to retrieve data from an eternal hard drive? My pc can detect it but when I try and open, explore or search I get a message asking if I want to format it.

I downloaded PC inspector which also detected it and could tell me what size it was - which I was relieved about. Also downloaded Stallar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery which was taking days to scan the disc so I gave up on that.

I reckon I need to get it done professionally.

Any ideas would be great, thanks,

Column

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

column wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any professional services that might be able to retrieve data from an eternal hard drive? My pc can detect it but when I try and open, explore or search I get a message asking if I want to format it.

I downloaded PC inspector which also detected it and could tell me what size it was - which I was relieved about. Also downloaded Stallar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery which was taking days to scan the disc so I gave up on that.

I reckon I need to get it done professionally.

Any ideas would be great, thanks,

Column

Try running your virus scanner on it. Had a similar problem and the the virus scanner picked up the infection and sanitised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭leinster93

I think the solution below should solve your problem

To get the data off your hard drive download the software 'partition find and mount' from the link http://findandmount.com/download/

What this will do is present the data of the hard drive to the pc after you run a scan using the software. After running the scan from the software double click the hard drive it has picked up, then give it a drive letter. You should be able to see the data when the hard drive is presented to the pc via the drive letter you have assigned. Copy the data to a new location on your pc hard drive (normally c:\). If you do it in chunks it will be faster to copy over.

After this is done you will need to format the external hard drive which will wipe it clean. As is now your external hard drive is corrupt so you will need to do this for it to be usable again.

After the data is copied over disconnect the external hard drive and reconnet as normal. Where the harddrive shows up in 'My Computer' right click on the drive letter and select format. BE CAREFUL in doing this. Make sure you have all your data from the hard drive before doing this.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Just tried to scan it with AVG but came back with "Objects canned 0".

• Advertisement

leinster93 wrote: »

To get the data off your hard drive download the software 'partition find and mount' from the link http://findandmount.com/download/

Thanks, I'll give this a go and let you know how I got on.

Right, No visible partitions. Is this a stupid question but why would it see a partition if I had non on the drive?

Very strange. It should display all types of storage connected to your pc be it your hard drive, momory stick, external hard drive (even if it is corrupt) or whatever.

I have used this method before and definately does the trick.
    When you start the application is there anything listed under drives? Btw, there are no stupid questions when it comes to IT.

The storage device should show up irrespective of having partitions. At least I think so?

Very strange. It should display all types of storage connected to your pc be it your hard drive, momory stick, external hard drive (even if it is corrupt) or whatever.

I have used this method before and definately does the trick.
    When you start the application is there anything listed under drives? Btw, there are no stupid questions when it comes to IT.

It has displayed all those. When I scanned the I: drive it couldn't find any partitions on it.

I double clicked on the external drive and it gave me three options - Intellectual Scan, Normal Scan and Thorough Scan.

I did the the Intellectual Scan.

As an experiment I just scanned my mp3 player that is also connected. No partitions were found on it either.

column wrote: »
    It has displayed all those. When I scanned the I: drive it couldn't find any partitions on it.

I double clicked on the external drive and it gave me three options - Intellectual Scan, Normal Scan and Thorough Scan.

I did the the Intellectual Scan.

As an experiment I just scanned my mp3 player that is also connected. No partitions were found on it either.

Ok, your on the right track. Double click the external hard drive and select the Intellectual scan again.
    It should list the visible partition. Double click it and assign a drive letter that is not being used on your pc. You will then be given the option of opening the drive in my computer, hence you should see all your data.

• Advertisement

I did that. The scan took about an hour - no partitions were found.

What is a visible partition? I've never created a partition on this drive. It's 1TB external hard drive.

I'm scanning again. I have to log off now - got to head off. Will be back on line later.

Thanks for the help.

Even though it is not or was not partitioned it should show up as one large single storage...

Attached is a snapshot of it on my pc. The SanDisk Cruzer would be the external hard drive in your case. I double clicked on partition1 and Drive Letter window appears.

Let me know how ya get on. No bother n the help dude.

I see from the image that you have a visible partitions - Partition1. I dont have any. Not after the first scan. I'm scanning again.

Neither is my mp3 player - which may mean something else is wrong.

Still having no luck. I can detect it but it always comes up as empty. It's as if someone has wiped it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

you could leave it in with an expert ,buy a sata to usb enclosure,25euro,peats,maplins tell him to install it in the unit.
    IT sounds like the power unit , or the pcb that attaches to the drive is loose or faulty.THE drive itself is probably ok, he should charge you 20 euro to install it in the enclosure.
    use the software as posted above to scan it , the chances are the drive should just show up as drive d,e unless the platters are damaged.

chances are you,ll be able to recover the data ,using recuva software or just copying from d,e drive.
    SO its worth spending 45 euro to get it installed in a new unit.
    ask him to fit it in enclosure, test is the drive working , do not ask him to recover the data ,as if the hd is working you should be able to do that yourself.
    ask first how much to install it in the usb ide/ sata enclosure.
    see here http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221180 ,

if you dont know is hd sata type,or ide type, buy an ide/sata enclosure from maplins.

is there any power unit led to show power is on, if not, try changing the 13a fuse in the
    power esb plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

What this will do is present the data of the hard drive to the pc after you run a scan using the software. After running the scan from the software double click the hard drive it has picked up, then give it a drive letter. You should be able to see the data when the hard drive is presented to the pc via the drive letter you have assigned. Copy the data to a new location on your pc hard drive (normally c:\). If you do it in chunks it will be faster to copy over.

After this is done you will need to format the external hard drive which will wipe it clean. As is now your external hard drive is corrupt so you will need to do this for it to be usable again.

After the data is copied over disconnect the external hard drive and reconnet as normal. Where the harddrive shows up in 'My Computer' right click on the drive letter and select format. BE CAREFUL in doing this. Make sure you have all your data from the hard drive before doing this.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks so much.....

The same thing happened to me today as I was moving files from my old to new computer. I couldn't find a proper solution on the internet either. Just goes to show how great this website is!

Seriously......you're a lifesaver!

ricman wrote: »
    you could leave it in with an expert ,buy a sata to usb enclosure,25euro,peats,maplins tell him to install it in the unit.
    IT sounds like the power unit , or the pcb that attaches to the drive is loose or faulty.THE drive itself is probably ok, he should charge you 20 euro to install it in the enclosure.
    use the software as posted above to scan it , the chances are the drive should just show up as drive d,e unless the platters are damaged.

chances are you,ll be able to recover the data ,using recuva software or just copying from d,e drive.
    ask him to fit it in enclosure, test is the drive working , do not ask him to recover the data ,as if the hd is working you should be able to do that yourself.

if you dont know is hd sata type,or ide type, buy an ide/sata enclosure from maplins.

is there any power unit led to show power is on, if not, try changing the 13a fuse in the
    power esb plug.

Thanks. Could there be an issue if I dont own the data on the drive - it's a lot of pirated music.

Is there a risk of me getting into trouble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

WAIT! ...*ahem*.. Sorry if this has been mentioned/asked already, but what other USB devices have you got connected to your computer? I have a 500GB portable hard-disk but when I have another USB storage device attached, it seems that the two devices conflict each other. The OS recognises that two disks are attached, but I can only read the contect of one.

So, try removing all USB devices, and then restarting your PC with just the hard-disk connected.

Kevin

ricman wrote: »

power esb plug.

Thanks. There is an LED and it is lit up showing that power is getting to it. The usual whirring noise of the drive is also still present.

Advertisement