Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need advice on picking a bike!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Danye wrote: »
    The first one is from Cycle Superstore just off the greenhills road, http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=30510

And the second one is from halfords http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=30510

So what do you guys think? Thanks for your help :)
    I think the second one is also from cyclesuperstore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Dayne,

What distance is your commute? On what terrain? Flat, hills, etc?

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Dayne,

DFD.
    What does DFD stand for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    What does DFD stand for?

It's a recursive acronym, DFD For Danye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Danye

Dayne,

DFD.

Its about 5/6 miles round trip, but also plan on using it for going to the gym and going for regular spins on it aswell, especially if we get the weather :D.

Terrain? On roads through the city...a couple of hills aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Danye wrote: »
    Its about 5/6 miles round trip, but also plan on using it for going to the gym and going for regular spins on it aswell, especially if we get the weather :D.

Terrain? On roads through the city...a couple of hills aswell.

Well, if you're not looking to get into cycling as an 'activity', but rather as a practical matter, I would choose something like the Kona Africa Bike

To quote the blurb:

"Tough as a rhinoceros, fleet as a gazelle, durable as a crocodile, easy to maintain and designed specifically to provide effective, affordable transportation to those who need a bike that gets the job done-no matter if it's dirt roads or psycho-habituated roadways."

It's blurb, what can you expect :)

If you can buy it from an LBS (local bike store), all the better, they can help set it up for you and give you a quick service a few weeks after it's 'bedded in'.

I'd say it's a practical bike for practical purposes. Kona is a good brand, which means you're paying a bit for that, but presumably the aftercare, warranty, etc is all good (I've no personal experience).

DFD*

*Don'tFearDimitri

PS. There are lots of similar threads here, if you can find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If that is your budget I reckon either of those bikes is a good option for the use you describe. I would probably lean towards the Subway as (1) it is cheaper (2) it gets good reviews and (3) it doesn't have a suspension fork (which is unnecessary on the road, saps pedalling energy and tends to be heavy and bad quality at that pricepoint.)

Just make sure Halfords assemble it right; that is the risk with the Subway (the bike itself is meant to be decent.)

Advertisement