Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL join query

Options
  • 08-04-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

I've got a query i'm having trouble with and would appreciate some feedback! Apologies for the table layout :(

I'm trying write a query to extract all unique parent accounts, along with the department and company information based on the below 4 tables:

The parent accounts have sub accounts and these subaccounts contain the department id which is linked to department table

The parent accounts department will always be the subaccounts department and these will always be the same.

Department
    DepartmentId
    DepartmentName
    1000 BILLING
    2000 HR

SubAccount
    SubAccId ParentAccId SubAccName SubAccDeptId

1 20 Expenses 1000
    2 20 Overhead 1000
    3 30 Finance 1250

ParentAcc
    PiD ParentAccName CompanyId

75 ProductionLine 50
    76 Shipping 89

Company
    Cid CompanyName

50 PinkLadyApplesCo
    89 PellegrinoWaterCo

My query is unfortunately listing all subaccounts per parent account along with the company name and department name info:

SELECT c.CompanyName, p.ParentAccName, s.SubAccName, d.DepartmentName
    FROM
    ParentAccount p left join
    SubAccount s on s.ParentAccId = p.Pid,
    Company c,
    Department d

WHERE
    p.Pid = d.DepartmentId AND p.Companyid = c.Cid

Im looking to get only distinct ParentAcc's per Company (Companies can have same ParentAccName) and the DepartmentName along with CompanyName. (The department here is the dept linked to the subaccounts per parent, this will only ever be one department)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

You will need to start with redefining your entity relationships

1 Company can have many Departments
    1 Department can have many accounts
    1 Account can have many subaccounts

Company - CID primary key
    Department - DID primary key, CID foreign key
    Account - AID primary key, DID foreign key
    SubAccount - SAID primary key, AID foreign key

Advertisement