Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak stairs - varnish or oil??

• 08-04-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

We just got our white oak stairs delivered to site - there isn't a coat of oil or varnish on it yet.
    I am wondering should the first coat be oil?? Then do we sand/varnish/sand/varnish or should I just sand and varnish 3 times. There will be no carpet on this stairs as we are going to leave the wood bare. Also if you could let me know what brands of varnish etc to use if we are allowed - mods please let me know if not and I will update this.
    Also I was thinking of getting this work done before it all gets assembled - what do you think??

Also, anyone that knows anyone that would be interested in this work in Clare, can you please pm me - think its a bit too daunting for us as we are already very busy with 2 young children and painting all the interior.:)
    It is quite a big stairs with a wrap around bannister, similar to this one - but with 11 stairs up first and then 3 either side - sorry, I know there is a load of technical terms for the bits of the stairs, but I don't know them:confused:

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I make stairs and we spray them before we fit them 3 coats

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Brywax is the best choice labour some but worth it in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would varnish them, or if you want a more subtle finish, I would use Bonakemi Traffic: http://www.woodenflooringsales.com/bonakemitraffic/index.php

It is not cheap, but I know of nothing like it. It is sort of like varnish but it does not darken the wood when applied, as even the clearest varnish does. I used it to seal my cork floors and in terms of looks and long term wear, It is oustanding and worth every cent.

If you start using waxes and oils, you will not be able to varnish in the future AFAIK.

Advertisement