Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help choosing right oil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Look up castrol website, it will give their suggested oils for your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

A gallon of 10/w40 is what you want, no need to put anything more expensive in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ya, all the older mazda manuals say 10w30, 10w40 will be fine if it's running ok and not burning any oil. Might be worth trying 15w40 if it is using oil and the mileage is high. If you'll be changing it yourself every 5-6k miles then you don't need very expensive oil - they are fairly low tech reliable engines. (low tech FTW!) You get 5L of a less well known brand from a motor factor for 18-20yoyo, you might manage the same in Halfords if theres a deal on. Standard mineral oil would do fine if you'll be checking it and changing it yourself I'd say.

Don't overfill with oil. Should do my own soon really...

If it's not burning oil I wouldn't offend the engine by putting mineral oil into it, for the sake of a tenner extra a good semi syn is well worth it. I'd only put a mineral oil in a 1.3 Ka and to be honest I put semi syn 15w40 in that even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

RoverJames wrote: »
    If it's not burning oil I wouldn't offend the engine by putting mineral oil into it, for the sake of a tenner extra a good semi syn is well worth it. I'd only put a mineral oil in a 1.3 Ka and to be honest I put semi syn 15w40 in that even.

So you choose to be only half-offensive to your engine? ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ya, I wouldn't usually recommend the mineral oil, except that some of the older mazda engines have valve stem seals that leave a bit of oil drain in the cylinders overnight - boggo cheap oil changed regularly might be less inclined to filter through.

I'd say John Gormley would create a special carbon tax especially for me if he saw me start my thing in the morning....

As you said, if it's not burning any oil then semi synth is probably better, considering the sump capacity is small whatever oil is in there will be working harder than cars with bigger sumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mot_Socks

just don't over fill it. Find out how much it supposed to take, fill up to under a litre below on level ground. Check dip stick. If more needed add slowly, check dip stick.

Cheap stuff will do being honest. CASTROL site is really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

Tanks for the advice guys, done the service today it went very well Changing oil is one messy job:D. I saved about 80 euro and got the satisfaction of doing the job myself. Their is actually a noticeable difference in the engine. I went for this oil in the end http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_254023_langId_-1_categoryId_212419

Advertisement