Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mid sized family car

• 09-04-2010 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I'd say there is a similar thread but I've gone through 13 pages in the forum and I haven't found one. I hope the mods don't mind me starting another.

Basically I'm scrapping a 00 Astra Saloon that is a write off. I'm looking to get a decent sized family car, diesel engine, good mpg and obviously is in tax band A or B. I've had a look at a few and this is what I'm thinking.

Skoda Octavia 1.6tdi Ambiente. Haven't test driven it yet or discussed prices but I would be hoping to get the dealer down to about 18.5k. Not looking for any extras as I'm happy enough with what comes with the Ambiente package. So long as the test drive goes well I think this is the favourite.

VW Golf 1.6tdi trendline with alloy wheels and leather steering, gear lever etc. First price given of 20.5k but would hope to get the dealer down to 20k. Nice car and drove well in the test drive I took. It has the isofix car seat fixings which I'm impressed with. Looks very good and will hold it's value but the boot isn't very big.

Kia Cee'd SW 1.6d. The estate version of the Cee'd, very spacious and good specs, half leather seats, alloy wheels and a few other bits. Obviously 7 year warranty is a major plus, though they say it requires that it's serviced each year in a Kia garage and that would probably be expensive. Went to two different dealers and ended up at 18.3k. I'd be concerned about the sell-on value though.

I'm just wondering what people think of the above and if they can recommend any other options.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

For a family car, which is the biggest in the back, and has the biggest boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Piratez

Of the 3 you choose there would have to be the Golf for me. I would think it would be the best of the 3 and have the highest resale value.

Also didnt realise the golf came in a 1.6 tdi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ISOFIX is commonplace nowadays, wouldn't let that be a deciding factor, If you're going long term the Ceed may be a better bet than the Golf once you're out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

How long do you plan to keep it? If it more than 3 years then surely it has to be the Kia - which is a nice car and has AirCon (do the others have AirCon?). That warranty has to be worth more than any slight difference in resale of a +4 year old car. Also in 4 or 5 years people will be hunting down the second hand kias for their warranty!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

tobsey wrote: »
    Skoda Octavia 1.6tdi Ambiente. Haven't test driven it yet or discussed prices but I would be hoping to get the dealer down to about 18.5k. Not looking for any extras as I'm happy enough with what comes with the Ambiente package. So long as the test drive goes well I think this is the favourite.

With scrappage, that is an acheivable price including delivery & metallic. I'd be pushing for €18,000 and settle on €18,250.
    VW Golf 1.6tdi trendline with alloy wheels and leather steering, gear lever etc. First price given of 20.5k but would hope to get the dealer down to 20k. Nice car and drove well in the test drive I took. It has the isofix car seat fixings which I'm impressed with. Looks very good and will hold it's value but the boot isn't very big.

Not sure on what the cost of the extras is, but €20,500 seems about right for a decent price. I'd be a bit worried about the resale of the Trendline, dealers seem to think it will be worth substantially less than the Comfortline in the future, and you'd also need to check if that is the 90bhp or 105bhp version.

If you aren't bothered about the badge, the Skoda offers much better value for money, along with the bigger boot.
    Kia Cee'd SW 1.6d. The estate version of the Cee'd, very spacious and good specs, half leather seats, alloy wheels and a few other bits. Obviously 7 year warranty is a major plus, though they say it requires that it's serviced each year in a Kia garage and that would probably be expensive. Went to two different dealers and ended up at 18.3k. I'd be concerned about the sell-on value though.

I like the Kia's. Dash looks a bit cheap, but the engine is cracking and the specification is better than the Skoda.

Doesn't have to be serviced in a Kia dealer, despite what Kia dealers may tell you (block exemption), but it does have to be serviced to the Kia service schedule which involves replacing bits at much sooner intervals than they should be (think power steering fluid is to be replaced at the first service, or something strange along those lines). I have a funny feeling that the re-sale value of the Kia's isn't going to be as bad as everyone fears - but I wouldn't be betting the house on that.
    I'm just wondering what people think of the above and if they can recommend any other options.

Others which are worth looking at would be the Ford Focus - basic Style model now has A/C, Bluetooth, Alloys and Fogs. €19,750 + scrappage should get you in to a metallic one. Engine is only 90ps, but its enough in a car that size.

New Astra is fairly nice too, but is going to work out more than the Focus to get the same spec, and I don't think it's worth it.

Even though it pains me to recommend a Renault, I think the Grand Megane (estate) for €15,000 kicks the ass of everything else as far as value for money goes. You might have trouble selling it on in a few years time, but you can buy an extended warranty for around €500 to give you peace of mind motoring while you have it.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    I have a funny feeling that the re-sale value of the Kia's isn't going to be as bad as everyone fears - but I wouldn't be betting the house on that.

A chap I know bought a Cee'd estate (sportswagon whatever :)) new in 2008 with all extra's etc for €21000 straight sale. He was telling me earlier this week his friend bought a 2008 one second hand much the same as his own one for €11000 odd (closer to 11 than 11 and a half I forget the exact figure). Again it was a straight sale so screen price would have been a good bit higher than the 11 ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

RoverJames wrote: »
    A chap I know bought a Cee'd estate (sportswagon whatever :)) new in 2008 with all extra's etc for €21000 straight sale. He was telling me earlier this week his friend bought a 2008 one second hand much the same as his own one for €11000 odd (closer to 11 than 11 and a half I forget the exact figure). Again it was a straight sale so screen price would have been a good bit higher than the 11 ish.

I'd wonder what the mileage is. The warranty is 7 years or 150k kms. There's every chance that is 100k kms on the clock which makes a big difference. I'd only do 20-25k a year so would expect to get at least 6 years out of the warranty.

To be honest I wasn't too impressed with the test drive. It is nippy enough for a car of it's size but the steering just felt a bit wierd. I'm leaning towards the Skoda and if I like the way it drives I'll probably go for it. I'd prefer the Golf as it's a nicer looking car but I could see a case in three months time where I'm trying to pack a buggy and two suitcases in the boot and the thing won't close. I'll trade a bit of style for practicality I think.

Thanks for the reply all.

I'd wonder what the mileage is.

Dunno to be honest, will ask him later if I see him :)

Piratez wrote: »
    Of the 3 you choose there would have to be the Golf for me. I would think it would be the best of the 3 and have the highest resale value.

Also didnt realise the golf came in a 1.6 tdi.

Yep. 105HP and still in tax band A. Reasonable bit of poke in it too i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

And i've heard so far as well that the 1.6tdi is extremely economical, much more so than the old 1.9tdi, make sure you get the 105bhp version if you go for the golf though, its also available in 90bhp form in that, its 105bhp only in the octavia, however! the 15k€ renault is definitely worth a test drive too though, it might feel the power deficit though, with nearly 20bhp less than the golf, and th spec of one that costs 15k might feel a bit spartan

• Advertisement

Dunno to be honest, will ask him later if I see him :)

Well the facts are a tad different to the above

- screen price was €14500
    - mileage 56000km
    - guy traded in a ten year old high mileage passat
    - cost him €11700 to trade up

Apologies for the misleading info first time :o

Thanks for the clarification James.

Losing just over €5,000 in 2 years / 56,000km for an 08 car is pretty damn good. I've lost over that since 2008 on my (now) 5 year old Accord, with less mileage added.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

who makes kias engine for them. is it the peugeot/citroen diesel engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

who makes kias engine for them. is it the peugeot/citroen diesel engine
    Afaik, its their own hyundai/kia engine, nearly sure its not the psa unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kia/Hyundai make their own engine.

Yep, it's their own engine, and a great one at that. Hyundai have a raft of new diesel engines coming in that will be even better. They're also dong hybrids.
    Anyone who laughs at the Koreans are in for a shock. THe i40 and ix35 are gonna cnvert a lot of people, and given that Hyundai and Kia are headhunting VW staff, you can expect nicer interiors and details.

SO if you can get a nice looking car with a huge warranty for less money, why wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I think face lifted model has just come on sale this week. Think scrappage deal has been reduced. Looks very like the Hyundai which I suppose not a huge surprise. Old model interior was horrible but i think might be changes in this model...

McSpud wrote: »
    I think face lifted model has just come on sale this week. Think scrappage deal has been reduced. Looks very like the Hyundai which I suppose not a huge surprise. Old model interior was horrible but i think might be changes in this model...

I'm led to believe that there are only 35 C'eeds coming with the Bluetooth. Not sure if they are all C'eed, Pro C'eed or C'eed SW or a mix, but the rest that are on the way are not going to have the Bluetooth.

Looking forward to seeing the facelift. Still double take whenever I see a Pro C'eed, becuase I think they are a good looking car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Has no one put up the Diamond light for Saab Ed?

He's got a good deal for you on a nice estate tobsey :)

Can scrappage deals on Grand Meganes even be got now?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can scrappage deals on Grand Meganes even be got now?

Not sure. If they are sticking stricktly to the "has to be deliverable by the end of the month" line, maybe not but sure they might want the sales.

We got our order in before the 31st so we're safe.:P

What model did you order?

Grand Megane 106 Tom Tom

It's the mothers new car. I merely assisted in the purchase :)

My first car (Clio) is being scrapped to make way :(

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'm led to believe that there are only 35 C'eeds coming with the Bluetooth. Not sure if they are all C'eed, Pro C'eed or C'eed SW or a mix, but the rest that are on the way are not going to have the Bluetooth.

Looking forward to seeing the facelift. Still double take whenever I see a Pro C'eed, becuase I think they are a good looking car.

The mid range Octavia has Bluetooth integration and ticks all the boxes I'm looking for. That and cupholders are two things that seem small but make a big difference when you spent a few hours a day in the thing. I'd go without alloys or metallic paint no bother, but I need my coffee!

Until I looked into buying an Octavia I never realised how many of them are out there. Good Christ they're everywhere. That nearly gives as much confidence as the Kia warranty.

Advertisement