Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'this is Greece, not Ireland, we'll fight back'

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Einhard wrote: »
    You're sunning yourself on a foreign holiday and you have the nerve to moan about your plight?? What, you can only take 2 holidays this year instead of the usual 4? FFS, it's about time some people got real.

Im laying in a tent in Italy, my 1st holiday since 2005 and possibly my last holiday for some time and yes so far it is a lot cheaper than what i would be spending if i was at home. I have a very stressfull job (Chef) and the hotel industry has taken a hammering, even worse now the dollar compared to the euro means less Americans coming over here for holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

goat2 wrote: »
    if greece sees us in this way
    well be shure that is how the rest of europe see us
    were banjaxed

Who gives a shìt about what Greece thinks about? They're not in a position to make any judgements.

I'd be more concerned about how the likes of the major credit agencies see Ireland doing, and they seem to think that we're getting our house in order. Maybe the recently projected growth of our economy won't happen, but in the meantime we're in far better position than Greece is.
    Overheal wrote:
    Not to mention the stellar record of public protest, that I shouldn't need to elaborate on; but there's always been a lot of that "What's the point" attitude around these here boards.

There's a difference between thinking "what's the point?" and accepting that you have to take some pain to get through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Most Irish people are very annoyed with the situation we find ourselves in. And at the factors, political and societal that have gotten us into the sh1t.

But most people also realize that rioting and burning people to death isn't really going to help anything at all.

I do believe that certain people here should be in jail over the **** they've put us into,
    but its fair to say a lot of people bought into the falsehoods that our "economy" was built on and unfortunately we're taking a collective kick in the balls for that.

We'll get through it.

The Greek rioters are throwing a tantrum when they've no one to blame but themselves,
    and that tantrum is only going to make things worse for them in the eyes of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

snaps wrote: »
    even worse now the dollar compared to the euro means less Americans coming over here for holidays.

What do you mean? the dollar is strengthening against the Euro. It was over $1.50 to the euro at one stage and now $1.27 if anything it got a hell of a lot cheaper for Americans to come here. Consumables for American companies have gotten cheaper too over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Most Irish people are very annoyed with the situation we find ourselves in. And at the factors, political and societal that have gotten us into the sh1t.

But most people also realize that rioting and burning people to death isn't really going to help anything at all.

I do believe that certain people here should be in jail over the **** they've put us into,
    but its fair to say a lot of people bought into the falsehoods that our "economy" was built on and unfortunately we're taking a collective kick in the balls for that.

We'll get through it.

The Greek rioters are throwing a tantrum when they've no one to blame but themselves,
    and that tantrum is only going to make things worse for them in the eyes of the world.

I agree with ye, if you were a multinational firm, would ye bother yer bollix locate in Greece with the instability caused by the rioting. It's very tempting to go apeshít against the powers that be, but sends out the wrong signals to the rest of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The sh1t was still going to fly, whether we voted yes to Lisbon or not, but I do agree with your last sentence.
    we were already in a big hole, put there by our own, not the eu
    that is the real reason they put up a second referendum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

eoin wrote: »
    Maybe the recently projected growth of our economy won't happen, but in the meantime we're in far better position than Greece is.

Can someone look at this graph and explain how we are in a better position than greece.We aren't,we are screwed.
    http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/05/02/weekinreview/02marsh-image/02marsh-image-custom1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

baaaa wrote: »
    Can someone look at this graph and explain how we are in a better position than greece.We aren't,we are screwed.
    http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/05/02/weekinreview/02marsh-image/02marsh-image-custom1.jpg

There was a thread on this before. A large part of that debt is in the IFSC. One or two companies have gone bust their already and had no bearing on us. They aren't covered by the bank guarantee scheme.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

We should launch a counter slogan:

"This is Ireland not Greece, we'll try to fix our problems rather then wait for the EU & IMF to swoop in and then riot because we don't like the results of our lack of action."

or

"This is Ireland not Greece, We not perfect, but the EU predicts our economy to grow not Contract by 3% next year."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

That graph only puts Greece's debt at about €185 billion. Isn't it more like €300 billion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

correct me if im wrong but since we had to declare the money the govt gave to anglo as a bad debt/loan we are in worse **** than greece
    however rioting is not going to solve the problem and if anyone watched prime time last night it was clear that brian cowen still has his head in the clouds regarding our situation so be prepared for it to get a lot worse and encouraging ppl to buy houses so as to pump money into the banking system is just outrageous
    i have never voted ff but do feel they should be left where they are to sort out the **** they put us in and as for brian cowen saying that the crash was not forseen what planet has he been living on for the last five years is it not obvious that this was going to happen when the banks could do what they wanted as well as property developers charging half a million for an apartment and he could see this happening he really should have gone to specksavers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Is that what you are basing your ramblings on?

According to the Economist, we are no where near to Greece

http://media.economist.com/images/20100206/CBB843.gif

reprazant wrote: »
    Is that what you are basing your ramblings on?

According to the Economist, we are no where near to Greece

http://media.economist.com/images/20100206/CBB843.gif
    Show me this graph again when it's correct(includes Nama).
    Until then I'll ramble on thanks.

Super. By the way, since you seem to think that we are worse off than Greece due to your graph, could you explain where that leaves Italy?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The graph you posted wasn't correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

hobochris wrote: »

"This is Ireland not Greece, we'll try to fix our problems rather then wait for the EU & IMF to swoop in and then riot because we don't like the results of our lack of action."

or

"This is Ireland not Greece, We not perfect, but the EU predicts our economy to grow not Contract by 3% next year."

I dunno... their one is more catchy.

Super. By the way, since you seem to think that we are worse off than Greece due to your graph, could you explain where that leaves Italy?

Cheers.
    Well,going by my graph Italy are pretty screwed also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"this is Ireland not Greece, please send us greek women."

Well,going by my graph Italy are pretty screwed also.

By your incorrect graph, and your misreading of it, Italy should be the country in the most trouble of all the PIIGS countries.

Yet they are actually in the strongest position.

Strange that that could be the way seeing as your graph showed debt and did not show GDP, GNP, etc are any of the other factors that go towards factoring how well a country is doing.

Also, the UK may soon be added to that group of countries if their current situation does not improve soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

hobochris wrote: »

or

You should write jingles...

'and do you think we actually did anything to achieve that growth (if it ever happens)? We sat back on our arses whinging to each other and taking no action whatsoever. ANy economic growth will be out of pure dumb luck. We'll probably even keep FF in at the next GE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

eoin wrote: »
    There's a difference between thinking "what's the point?" and accepting that you have to take some pain to get through this.
    Yeah, just bear through the pain, while your government ravages you.

By your incorrect graph, and your misreading of it, Italy should be the country in the most trouble of all the PIIGS countries.

Strange that that could be the way seeing as your graph showed debt and did not show GDP, GNP, etc are any of the other factors that go towards factoring how well a country is doing.

Also, the UK may soon be added to that group of countries if their current situation does not improve soon.
    Again,if your graph was to factor in Nama it would be very different.
    The ways of allocating debt you're getting hung up on are irrelevant until Nama is factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The ways of allocating debt you're getting hung up on are irrelevant until Nama is factored in.

Nama is only a small part of our debt, it is not that important compared to the budget deficit.

For example - we are spending €60 billion on Nama, and we will get back some of that - worst case probably €20 billion-ish. But every year we are spending €25 billion more than we take in in taxes. Nama is a one off. The deficit is eating at us every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

Greece shouldn't have been allowed to join the Euro zone in the first place. They lied to the EU by giving us the wrong numbers about their incomings and outgoings. It's the corrupt greek government who did this and the people looked away and never asked where the money comes from. For example go to Greece and buy something. You won't get a receipt, because nobody pays tax. All their brutto is netto in the end. No wonder they're ****ed. Also there you can pay 300 euro on the side and just get your driving license handed over. People can retire after 37 years of working life. They get 14 months wages a year plus christmas and easter money. How nice ! How can they say they never knew....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

hehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aggela

όχι! αυτό είναι όλα τα ελληνικά για να σας.
    You seriously need to use a better translator. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

our debt and our deficit are two different things

our debt increasing or decreasing does not affect our deficit

our deficit increasing or decreasing certainly affects our debt

our deficit is what is the biggest threat to us NOT nama

our deficit is hopefully going to be substantially reduced again this budget

the greeks wont accept any reduction in their deficit without protests, they are going to destroy their own country as a result

Advertisement