Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'this is Greece, not Ireland, we'll fight back'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

its all greek to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I'd love to ram their chants down their throat. Anyone wanna start a facebook group to show the greeks we mean business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Greece is a shambles of a country. They should never have been let into the Euro, then at least we wouldn't have to put up with their moaning. This is a country that has defaulted 6 times since 1830. An absolute bunch of jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

derfderf wrote: »
    I'd love to ram their chants down their throat. Anyone wanna start a facebook group to show the greeks we mean business?
    No I think I'll go a step further and write a strongly worded letter to the Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Min wrote: »
    This is Ireland, not Greece, we are already fighting back.

Havent you read?

We are just bending over and taking it, nation of sheep etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

How is Ireland fighting back?
    I don't see too many Irish people making a stand against anything!

At least the Greeks are protesting..

So when's Joe Duffy gonna call for a ban on these guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Alessandra wrote: »
    How is Ireland fighting back?
    I don't see too many Irish people making a stand against anything!

At least the Greeks are protesting..

A friend from here just spent 3 weeks travelling around Greece and she told me the place is a mess, something akin to a 2nd world country.
    I don't think Ireland's dropped that far yet.
    We best save our energy for when things get really bad.

its all greek to me
    όλα τα ελληνικά της, για μένα
    όχι! αυτό είναι όλα τα ελληνικά για να σας.

• Advertisement

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    A friend from here just spent 3 weeks travelling around Greece and she told me the place is a mess, something akin to a 2nd world country.
    I don't think Ireland's dropped that far yet.
    We best save our energy for when things get really bad.

I agree that we're not at Greece's level now. However who knows what the future brings..

Surely we can't say that we as Irish people have fought back against anything in relation to the economic collapse? The only people who took to the streets were our pensioners!

We're taking it lying down, the Greek's are correct. Maybe there is not much we can do but publically voicing the disatisfaction that so many of us voice here everyday would at least be a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

* reads thread
    notices all the good Greek puns and pop culture references have been
    already used
    Leaves thread.

I agree that we're not at Greece's level now. However who knows what the future brings..

Surely we can't say that we as Irish people have fought back against anything in relation to the economic collapse? The only people who took to the streets were our pensioners!

We're taking it lying down, the Greek's are correct. Maybe there is not much we can do but publically voicing the disatisfaction that so many of us voice here everyday would at least be a step in the right direction.

Here's a thread, from today, about a fella actually doing something.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055878855
    (thread gets 18 replies only, incidentally). I'm sure you'd be welcome to join him.

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    Here's a thread, from today, about a fella actually doing something.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055878855
    (thread gets 18 replies only, incidentally). I'm sure you'd be welcome to join him.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.
    If I were currently resident in Ireland I'd love to join something like this.
    Fairplay to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

There isn't alot we can do. The cuts have to be made. It's just exasperating that Fianna Fail, who can take a huge credit for the mess we are currently in, are the one's still in charge and overseeing the cuts, the ****ing pricks.

Fairplay to him.

Didn't see your location. It was just when you said 'we', paleface...
    I've got the same excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

RussiaToday speaks to renowned economist William Engdahl, who shares his views on the recent Greek crisis, and the role American corporations played in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Fairplay to him.
    Plenty of people are trying to do something a lot more effective than giving the SWP another platform to hijack (see sig).

flynnlives wrote: »
    Reading this thread is laughable! There is some seriously deluded people in this country.

This country is a nation of sheep.

Speak for yourself dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Greece is mean, we're trying our best:( :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8663734.stm

It just gets worse. Helping getting the country on the road to recovery by rioting? Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

you've misinterpreted it... Greece are saying that they are not like the Irish, who appear to be taking things lying down, complacently etc. not living up to the legendary status that we have of being 'the fighting Irish'

You're correct, RTE reported that the Greeks were chanting:

"We're not Ireland, we won't sacrifice ourselves for the rich" obviously alluding to NAMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Fair Plato them.

GETTT INNNNN!!!!

I don't get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

snow ghost wrote: »
    You're correct, RTE reported that the Greeks were chanting:

"We're not Ireland, we won't sacrifice ourselves for the rich" obviously alluding to NAMA.

Nah, we kill a pregnant woman instead.

Generalisations are stupid.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

K-9 wrote: »
    Nah, we kill a pregnant woman instead.

Generalisations are stupid.

Generalising that we sat back and have allowed the Irish and EU establishment to ride rough shod over us whilst saving the corrupt bankers, deveolpers and speculators is entirely an accurate one as history will eventually record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Aww man, you're missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Aww man, you're missing out.

DAMN IT!!! :(

Will ya tell me what it is? :(

Plato - Greek philosopher amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

Apparently this is what the protesters were chanting in Athens at a rally...

http://thestory.ie/2010/02/11/greece-and-ireland/

That says it all really. The Greek people are absolutely correct to march, protest, and go on strike and to appose their government. "This is Greece, not Ireland, we'll fight back" very true indeed. Our union leaders had a little protest (or should I say they went out for a walk??) a few months ago, and what good did it do??? Absolutely nothing. The government in this country can and are allowed to get away with whatever they want, and all irish people do, is sit and talk about it. If we all rose up as a united people marched, went on strike, it would make a difference I believe. There are power in numbers, and the greek people know that. Well done to them.

• Advertisement

nicegirl wrote: »
    That says it all really. The Greek people are absolutely correct to march, protest, and go on strike and to appose their government.

Why's that? The measures introduced by the Greek government make sense to me. They had little choice given the financial pressures and influence from the EU. The Greek econony is a cancer to the EU at the moment, the measures were always going to be bloody.

Advertisement